Sand Fleas as bait?

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
Post Reply
phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

Thoughts? Opinions? Effectiveness, have been trying a little bit of everything out lately, seeing how others have done with them.

Thanks

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishnfool73 »

They work in the surf for pompano drum whiting and croaker. I've also caught sheepshead on them fishing bridge pilings.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

fishnfool73 wrote:They work in the surf for pompano drum whiting and croaker. I've also caught sheepshead on them fishing bridge pilings.
how effective would you say if we were to use them off of a pier? or is there to many variables to consider?

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Completely depends what you are targetting on the pier. Pompano in the trough? Excellent bait. Kingfish and cobia on the T? Not so much.
Image

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Completely depends what you are targetting on the pier. Pompano in the trough? Excellent bait. Kingfish and cobia on the T? Not so much.
To be completely truthful, as long as the fish is a reasonable size, and not like a rockfish or a ray, I will totally be after it lol, so type of fish really isn't an objection.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Completely depends what you are targetting on the pier. Pompano in the trough? Excellent bait. Kingfish and cobia on the T? Not so much.
Like what you have in your hands in your sig, half that, and I'm totally cool with it lol

fishaddict0916
Old Salt
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishaddict0916 »

phonestarsllc wrote:Like what you have in your hands in your sig, half that, and I'm totally cool with it lol
If you can find a sand flea on steroids so he's about 50 times normal size, then you might have a chance at one of those!! :jester:

snook123
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by snook123 »

fishaddict0916 wrote:
phonestarsllc wrote:Like what you have in your hands in your sig, half that, and I'm totally cool with it lol
If you can find a sand flea on steroids so he's about 50 times normal size, then you might have a chance at one of those!! :jester:
LOL
- Jimmy

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

snook123 wrote:
fishaddict0916 wrote:
phonestarsllc wrote:Like what you have in your hands in your sig, half that, and I'm totally cool with it lol
If you can find a sand flea on steroids so he's about 50 times normal size, then you might have a chance at one of those!! :jester:
LOL
Lol I'm not picky, I just wanna catch something big and edible lol

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishnfool73 »

I've seen plenty of big permit caught on sand fleas.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

fishnfool73 wrote:I've seen plenty of big permit caught on sand fleas.
off what pier? lol

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishnfool73 »

Deerfield Anglins Pompano and Juno
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

fishnfool73 wrote:Deerfield Anglins Pompano and Juno
Will have to try juno again, last time I was up there, was a complete dead zone

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishnfool73 »

The beach renourishment killed Juno. I'd try Lake Worth.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

User avatar
rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by rshields »

fishnfool73 wrote:I've seen plenty of big permit caught on sand fleas.


:stupid:

fishaddict0916
Old Salt
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishaddict0916 »

fishnfool73 wrote:I've seen plenty of big permit caught on sand fleas.
I wasn't saying that it could never happen, Chris....just saying that sand fleas wouldn't be the PREFERRED bait if you are trying to target a Permit.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

fishnfool73 wrote:The beach renourishment killed Juno. I'd try Lake Worth.
I'll try them this weekend, hopefully I get out to the bait shop in time

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

Rijkaard wrote:
fishaddict0916 wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:I've seen plenty of big permit caught on sand fleas.
I wasn't saying that it could never happen, Chris....just saying that sand fleas wouldn't be the PREFERRED bait if you are trying to target a Permit.
It's bait of choice #2 after live crabs and more effective than shrimps too
either of you know where live crabs could be purchased locally? or frozen

thanks

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by fishnfool73 »

Where is locally ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

phonestarsllc
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Re: Sand Fleas as bait?

Post by phonestarsllc »

fishnfool73 wrote:Where is locally ?
I live in palm beach gardens

Post Reply

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”