Pompano Run 2014

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
Post Reply
horsemin
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Pompano Run 2014

Post by horsemin »

It should be starting soon. Fished pierless in Juno yesterday 8-10 am - lost one in the surf right at the beach :mad: - broken hook (rusty). Rerigged 12 with new hooks last night - hope that is enough to make it through the sharks until April gets here. I will try again tonight and let you know. I fish from Juno to Hobe sound so I will try and post what is up.

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Pompano Run 2014

Post by fishnfool73 »

Run ? I don't think they ever left. Never really saw a southern migration this year. Hoping they just missed us offshore and we get a spring run down south of you.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

horsemin
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Pompano Run 2014

Post by horsemin »

I have not heard of or seen anyone catching any pompano, but, I have not tried myself so maybe I have been missing out - there have been 0 posts of anyone catching pomps around Juno. I caught 2 fat ones last night around sunset. Saw numerous sharks jumping way offshore.

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Pompano Run 2014

Post by fishnfool73 »

Seldom if ever do people post about catching pompano.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

flyfisherman1978
Fisher
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Pompano Run 2014

Post by flyfisherman1978 »

Coming down to Pompano Beach first week of March. Will be staying around 1021 Hillsboro Mile area.

My plans are to walk the surf early morning throwing marabou jigs, spoons and crank baits. If I do enhace my experience with picking up a fish here and there, what fish species will I encounter.

Any reccomendations on best jig, spoon or crankbait and colors would be greatly appreciated. Catch and release for me only,

Thanks in advance

User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
Posts: 8703
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Pompano Run 2014

Post by fishnfool73 »

1/4 - 5/8 oz jigs in white or yellow with some shine if you can. 5/8 oz silver spoons or Xrap in ghost or black back would be my suggestions. Pompano , jacks, runners, bluefish, mackeral, ladyfish, and snook should be around. I use 25 or 30 lb mono and just deal with the fact I may lose a few lures. Pompano pier is free and will give you a better shot at fish especially during the week when the crowd is light.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Post Reply

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”