Boynton Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Boynton Inlet "Fishing Reports" 2013

Post by phillybass »

Anyone been to the inlet lately? I haven't fished it in yrs. and wondering if its still a good spot?
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

It has its good and bad days. The south jetty gets packed at times.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

I loved that spot myself been yrs. though I'll be back Feb. 9th and its the closest to where I'll be living.

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

Truth be told, Boynton Inlet is not the same since they trudged it back in 2004. What I mean by that is, they hooked up this huge metal pipe on the beach, which seemed to suck up all sorts of ocean sand and spit it back out again. I'm not sure what they were doing but it was going on for a long, long time - like for years. That big thing was still sitting there on the beach last I saw. Back in the late 90's/early 2000's, the place had structure and not far from the beach, it was easy to catch good stuff. You can still do so but it's nothing like it used to be. On the intra coastal side, back in the day it was GREAT fishing, now not so much so. Beach side's not bad but again, lost it's glory years. I am sure anyone who used to fish that area pre 2004 will attest to that.
..."and the meek shall inherit the earth...."

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

I would agree with ringonose. I personally have felt the fishing went more downhill after the jetties and sea walls were reconstructed. Jetties are 2' higher and 4' wider with a rail, much preferred the cable. Pump station is further out too, used to be able hop on to the beach next to the pump station to land a larger fish, can't do that now.
We have had a couple of storms that built up the sand bar on the north side, bait isn't as plentiful as it was years ago. The south beach still is fairly good at times, water is deeper than many of the other local beaches.

One reason to the deterioration in my opinion is over fishing with no thought to selective harvest. Seeing quite a few people using chicken rigs and pulling out large quantities of runners, legal yes, but the same people doing 6-7 days a week is an abuse of a natural resource. That's just one example. Every bait and every fish removed affects the total fishery, I've seen the number of good sized barracuda really dwindle over the years. The Sun Sentinel ran an article about the over fishing of cuda a few months ago.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

The woman and I were hitting the beach up pretty steady when we first moved here in August and Sept. Mostly for sun and sand but I would always wander over to the jetties and the seawalls on the inside to see what was being caught and it wasn't much. Croakers, hardtails (blue runner), jacks on the inside and tales of a snook here and there (I did release a small one). Started fishing a tad more a couple months ago and have not done too well. I've seen some pompano caught and on a few occasions a number of sheepshead pulled from the north jetty. I've snorkeled the old rubble on the south side a few times and have seen absolutely nothing other than some small reef fish and a number of nurse sharks. No cudas, no lobster, nothing passing by, nada. It is very depressing. I've also spent quite a few hours fishing the various ICW parks in the area. Most of them have walkways by the mangroves. Throwing xraps, mirrorlures, spooks, spoons, hawks..... A number of jacks but that's about it.

I know it's a good ol days story but we used to come here in the 70s and would always go home with tails or a snook or two (season permitting). Was worth the drive up from Ft Lauderdale...being downhill both ways.
Paying dues; two cents at a time.

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

...I miss the good old days. Not sure about the early 70's, I was too young to fish back then, but I am told by grandparents about fishing stories that would knock our socks off...taking an aluminum skiff out just past the first reef and catching monster fish, including Red Snappers, huge groupers (including what was back then no illegal species). As for fresh water lakes? wow, the stories, the pics, the stringers of fish. Makes me wonder, is it them who may have depleted fish stocks? Ill say this much, those party boats that go out EVERY SINGLE DAY to the SAME REEFS EVER SINGLE DAY pretty much clean those spots out. Why don't they have some nice Lionfish party boats? The government/FWC should subsidize Lionfish charters and have all the poor people who use just simple lines wrapped on spools go out and catch hundreds of these invaders. O.K sorry everyone, I'm three days now on lack of sleep and am dreaming.... :?
..."and the meek shall inherit the earth...."

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

ringonose wrote:Ill say this much, those party boats that go out EVERY SINGLE DAY to the SAME REEFS EVER SINGLE DAY pretty much clean those spots out.
I often wonder how long species can sustain this kind of pressure as well.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

The reefs are hit and miss it seems lately same as the wreck. There have been days we fished the wreck and every drop was a fish. But have had days where we couldn't even buy a bite
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I honestly beleive its all the beach replenishment projects all that new sand gets washed out with the old sand and covers reef and other structure... I noticed back in the day you could go catch sand fleas everywhere but now you have to really look for them. I honest bleive that making the beaches beautiful for the tourism is actually killing the marine envirpment.

CaptainClutch
Fisher

Post by CaptainClutch »

Me and my buddy were pullin lots of snook out of there in November, mostly slots and over slots. However since most of the snooks have moved out of there it's kinda dead as far as that. If you are targeting a different species u can get some action :lol: :reeling: :nemo:

williamstrav
Fisher

Post by williamstrav »

Went out on the 31st and a school of jacks in the 5-6 pound range were chasing a school of ballyhoo up and down the beach. It was easy picking and a bunch of fun. Especially with the girlfriend :happyfisherman:

12 fish in 20 minutes. They were gone after that.

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

I'm at the inlet quite a bit in the early morning, not much going on except sheepshead. A few small barracuda on live bait, can't remember the last time I caught one on a tube. Other years we have done well in January fishing cuda with surgical tubes, not this year.

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

I'm at the inlet quite a bit in the early morning, not much going on except sheepshead. A few small barracuda on live bait, can't remember the last time I caught one on a tube. Other years we have done well in January fishing cuda with surgical tubes, not this year.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

Thanks SirSnookalot, Was there yesterday AM for a bit. Incoming tide, water was as clear as it gets. Could see a number of cuda in the inlet lined up. Wouldn't hit any artificial I threw at them. Walked the beach with nada as well. Saw a manatee. Snorkeled the old rubble that's a hundred feet or so offshore on the south-side that afternoon, a school of small (<12") Spanish came through. Parking, what a difference a month makes "eh"? (tommy

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Any bait out there guys?
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

I didn't see any while on the jetty or beach. There were a number of boats leaving the inlet and none made a bait stop. While snorkeling the rubble I did see a school of baitsized fish. Not sure what they were, not ballyhoo or sardine shaped, more like pinfish shape, but they weren't pinfish. I need corrective lenses on my mask.

zcoker
Fisher

Post by zcoker »

I'm out there most every night and it's been kinda slow lately. These cold fronts don't help, either. We fished the south jetty last night for a while and then some kids showed up and started hand fishing for sharks -- yes, hand fishing with rope and balloon. Oh, well, so we packed it up and headed over to the north jetty and fished that until about midnight, both live bait and artificials...nada. As some have said here already, it's not like it use to be. Even still, I have landed some very decent fish there.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

You shoulda been there tonight. :reeling: I would tell ya more but as I've now reached 'Weekend Warrior' status I'm not sure I can share reports with a mere 'fisher'; regardless of join date. Let me check with my Forum Big Brother and I'll get back with you.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

What u hit on at boyton? U can PM me if u don't want to share with the googs

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

You cheap post wh0re. You think I can be bought with a twelve pack of Heineken, a dozen pinfish and a box of menhaden? You're right, PM sent. :toast:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

You do know from here on out your "status" is based on the quality of the information you share not the number of posts. Want to be a Weekend Warrior forever? But hey, a promotion is a promotion. Maybe if you send the big mouth black chick a PM with the news she will rethink your speargun.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

When you hitting the inlet again. Let me know and we can meet up.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

OK, I'll post up, but it’ll be one of my long dissertations that will make you earn the knowledge (or lack thereof).

Wasn't even thinking of going fishing. I was actually quite depressed yesterday. Had been on that other site and they were talking about the Lake O discharges, all the grass beds disappearing, bait diminishing greatly, gloom and despair. Did I really move to a barren fishing wasteland? SW Florida and back to the AL Gulf Coast had been high on the list due to the great fishing there but my son, clear water, and a desire for a change of pace finally won over so here I reside.

It was about 4:00-4:30PM. I was bordering on taking a nap or making a stiff drink (like there's any other kind). THE Woman says "Hell no, it’s too pretty to sit around here any longer and I'm tired of looking at you carrying that woes-is-me, sorry-ass attitude. High tide is 6:30, let's go catch some sheepshead!"

From what I've been led to believe and have witnessed, right or wrong, the best time to catch the convicts at the inlet is from the time the incoming starts to slow down till it gets to falling at a pretty good clip. And the bait of choice is live fiddler crabs. No place around here that I know of sells live fiddlers and by now the tide was up so too late to catch our own, even if we did have a sure fire local spot. So we stop at the local B&T and pick up a couple dozen live shrimp.

Now as anyone with more than a superficial appreciation of life's finer gifts will attest; taint always about the fish. We pulled into the North parking lot, open the car door and are greeted with the fine aroma of outdoor cooking. Big group of folks got it going on, all ages and ethnicity, kids running around, folks fishing, a good time was being had. Cross over to the Northeast jetty and there’s another big group of folks on the beach with maybe 30 rods. There are only 5 or 6 folks fishing on the jetty itself and its absolutely spotless, no trash, no dead fish or bait lying around. It was an idyllic scene. A park in the grand sense of what parks were made for. No ghettoblasters blasting, no dropping of the F-Bomb every five seconds, totally chill. And here it is, the middle of winter, folks buried in snow above the Mason-Dixon and we’re in T-Shirts, enjoying 70 degrees with a mild breeze, with this gorgeous red sunset back-dropped to swaying palm trees. I’m feeling better already.

We get past that flat ledge that runs on the inside and you can see fish, lots of fish, Not only the usual smaller suspects but also sheepshead, what has to be black drums due to the size and these long torpedo shaped things I reckon are cuda. And as I’m setting down our stuff one guy slings a snook over the rail. Those aren’t just cuda. I throw down a nice juicy live shrimp and not 30 seconds later I’m slinging a snook over the rail. The first I’ve caught since a week after I moved here. We got here late and the tide is starting to fall and the sunlight dimming, but the water is still very clear. You can see a good number of snook swimming around the pilings.

Unfortunately we didn’t catch anything else substantial. Which I’m having a hard time understanding. I mean you can see the black drum and the sheepshead. Drop the shrimp right on their heads and nada, they just turn their nose up and move on. Also tried doing the shrimp under a cork and letting it drift out with the tide with no results. The water hauls through that narrow inlet and once it starts moving out the fish just seem to disappear, where do they go? Under the jetty, between the pilings?

Also reported but not personally witnessed was a school of mackerel to the northeast of the jetty but outside casting distance and a school of tarpon that had come rolling through a bit before we got there.

So no, we didn't slay them but it was a great evening; perfect weather; saw lots of activity which is uplifting given what’s been reported recently; and I felt hella better than I did before I went. And isn't that what it’s all about.

Hope to see you there! I be the bald headed, slightly overweight fella yukking it up with anyone who gets within 5 feet of me and she is the one who’s working on her casting skills and now baiting her own hook. Ripped backpack for a tackle box and a Lowes bucket for bait.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

We're going again this evening. ETA prob around 4:30-5.

zcoker
Fisher

Post by zcoker »

saltydoug wrote:You shoulda been there tonight. :reeling: I would tell ya more but as I've now reached 'Weekend Warrior' status I'm not sure I can share reports with a mere 'fisher'; regardless of join date. Let me check with my Forum Big Brother and I'll get back with you.
I was there....when all the "mere fishers" were home in bed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

saltydoug
Weekend Warrior

Post by saltydoug »

Touche'. Was that you on the south side? After the sunset we were the only ones on the north side, swear I could see a person over yonder but wasn't sure. There were one or two still on the beach as well but other than that it was deserted.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

nice,gonna have to start Fishing up N

zcoker
Fisher

Post by zcoker »

saltydoug wrote:Touche'. Was that you on the south side? After the sunset we were the only ones on the north side, swear I could see a person over yonder but wasn't sure. There were one or two still on the beach as well but other than that it was deserted.
Probably was. Your more than welcome to join me. You can always recognize me by my bare feet.

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

Sorry I couldn't get there today I fell asleep after fishing on Anglins all night.

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”