Juno Pier seasons?

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
1guy1rod
Fisher

Juno Pier seasons?

Post by 1guy1rod »

I have been fishing the juno pier since December with some limited success. Is there anything out there that lists the season of what is biting and when so I will know what to expect next? I started off catching blue runners and sharks primarily bottom fishing with squid in December. I have not been able to fish in a month or so and went back last week and everyone was snook, king fishing, aned pompano fishing. I have always fresh water fished but I am lucky enough to live by the pier now and I have had a great time but I seem to be updating my gear about a month behind what is biting. I did manage to get a trolley rig out this weekend which was fun. I did not catch anything but the guy next to me caught a nice king. I prefer to catch stuff I can take home and eat.

Specific questions, 1. I would like to know if sea trout come through at any time and the best set up for them. 2. How long does the King season last? 3. I saw that a few barracudas were caught recently ( i have heard that they are good to eat) I am guessing the trolley rig works for them as well?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys.

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Re: Juno Pier seasons?

Post by JonathanT305 »

The main game coming up is snook, tarpon, and cudas. As the pilchards and greenies get thicker, use what you catch off the pier for live bait. You don't need a trolley rig for cudas, as the water gets hotter they'll start to show up along the pier and you can sight fish them with tubes, frisky live bait, or even needlefish. Small cudas are good eating, but you run the risk of ciguatera poisoning in big ones. I've personally never seen a seatrout off the pier, but I've heard of redfish coming up during the Fall run.

I don't know anything about fishing for kings or pompano so I can't help you there. Watch what everyone else is doing (if they're catching) and model it after them. That's honestly the best advice I can give you.

1guy1rod
Fisher

Post by 1guy1rod »

Thanks for the info. Everything that I have learned so far as been from watching others. Most people are pretty helpful.

saltyrob1982
Fisher

Post by saltyrob1982 »

It all depends on what you desire to catch. Fall is my go to time for fishing when the southbound mullet run begins. During the run, macks, blues, jacks and other migrating fish make a killing on them. This can result in a lot of hookups. You can also find straggling snook cashing in as well.

Downside to that is that with all that bait, fish may ignore your lures.

Spring and summer fishing may be a bit slower, but worth it. You may find blue runners, several species of snapper, snook in their summertime spots, bonitos, etc etc.

1guy1rod
Fisher

Post by 1guy1rod »

Thanks for the info. I have not got to spend much time at the pier the last two weeks but I am expecting to get some time to go this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”