tying Pompano jigs

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
hugehail
Fisher

tying Pompano jigs

Post by hugehail »

For those of you who take jigs and teasers and tie your own pompano jigs, how big of a loop do you make? In other words, when you flatten out the loop, how long is it?
In other words, how much room do you like to have for the teaser to move around? Also, do you like to tie the jig and teaser facing the same direction or opposite?
or perhaps none of this makes any difference at all? Ive used jigs that were tied together with no freedom to move and caught pompano.

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Re: tying Pompano jigs

Post by gatorjwade »

Not that I'm an expert, but when "flattened out" I personally would use about 1/2" - 3/4"... enuf to let it flutter freely.
Jeff

inshoreguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by inshoreguy »

Hi,

You may think I'm crazy but from years of experimenting I now normally tie a loop that is between 5" to 6" long. I cant tell you how many pomps I have caught with that size loop. One thing is for sure most of the fish will be on the teaser.

Hope that help, please let me know how you make out.

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

inshoreguy wrote:Hi,

You may think I'm crazy but from years of experimenting I now normally tie a loop that is between 5" to 6" long. I cant tell you how many pomps I have caught with that size loop. One thing is for sure most of the fish will be on the teaser.

Hope that help, please let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. Have you experimented with a dropper loop with additional teaser about 15 inches above the primary looped pair?

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”