Boynton beach surf report September 15 2017

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
mike j
Weekend Warrior

Boynton beach surf report September 15 2017

Post by mike j »

I walked the surf south of Boynton this morning .I was jigging a gulp swimming mullet with a secondary white crappie jig above it. The surf was about 2-4 with some areas of heavy seaweed. That being said I caught a bunch of fish. 4 keeper mangrove snappers, 5 lookdowns which were big ,1 22 inch non keeper snook a ton of small jacks and lady fish. There were a few other fisherman on the beach all using artificials with treble hooks. I watched them making extremely long casts and pulling in a ton of seaweed. I am constantly amazed that fisherman don't adapt to the conditions and think the fish are all 60 yards off the beach. I catch almost all my fish in the trough or a just a little further out.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Re: Boynton beach surf report September 15 2017

Post by mike j »

Fished the surf this morning and conditions were really good. The jacks were hammering the mullet. I keep writing this surf report to let everyone know how good the surf fishing is right now. I caught 5 snook all short, 3 pompano short, 3 whiting decent size and more jacks then I care to remember. I caught everything on artificials, I don't bait fish(don't have the patience).

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

Good stuff..thank you

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Tuesday September 19, went out surf fishing this morning brought the wife. The surf was 3-5 and barely a breeze. Bait schools were everywhere jacks and blue fish every cast. The greenies where getting pushed right on the beach by the jacks. We used the greenies as bait which I usually don't do. The wife caught so many jacks that I had to unhook , that I put her in the penalty box and she had to watch me fish (she doesn't touch the fish). I am not sure how many of you seen the surf when it is so alive. My wife was amazed, Jack's were getting stuck on the sand chasing bait. We ended up keeping Five large mangrove snapper.

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

very nice!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

How big blue ?

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

The blues were small 2 to 3 pounds. I kept 1 blue which I didn't mention , I cut it by the gills and let it bleed out. I cooked the snapper and blue fish together and served them. the fish was good and no one identified the blue fish from the snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

2-3 lb is not bad... Good bait for King... Pretty soon 5-7 LB coming down... That is when I go out with my spoon...

my kids can identify blue from snapper... as someone taught me in this forum, i soaked blue fillet in milk over night... my kids like it... :wink:

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I grew up in the north east. We ate blue fish for dinner often. Only when I moved down to Florida did I ever hear blue fish being considered low quality. I bleed them put them on ice and eat them the same day I catch them.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Today I fished the surf on palm beach island right in front of Trumps place. I now realize I should probably rename the title of my subject because I don't just fish Boynton. Conditions were tough the surf was 6+ and there was a ton of seaweed that was really starting to frustrate me. I fished a top water plug and the action was fast and furious. I caught large jacks, lady fish and had a humongous tarpon on for a while before he shook the hook. I don't usually fish topwater plugs but I had a blast. Watching the fish charging the plug was exciting.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Sunday September 24, I fished the beach this morning it was mostly a lesson in humility. The surf was really rough and plenty of seaweed. My first cast I hooked a Spanish mackerel a minute later I was cut off, even though I was using wire. I will readily admit blue fish and mackerel are not my forte. Between the seaweed and getting cut off above my wire leader quite a few times, I wasn't happy. I was curious what type of lure other members use for these fish when its rough and alot of seaweed. Using anything with a treble hook was out of the question.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Mackerel tend to hit anything with a little shine. Not sure how well it works in surf, but I've had luck in calmer water with a silver long shank J hook, using 18" of heavier (50#) mono leader and either freelined or with a big tin split shot (tin for the flash) near the hook. They do sometimes hit the split shot though.

Should at least work better than a treble. Also, maybe try replacing the trebles on your lure with singles too.

eggystar
Fisher

Post by eggystar »

make sure you are not using a barrel swivel.Macs and Blues will bite the swivel and cut you off

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I believe That is what happened. I bought some wire and made some leaders but I still put a barrel swivel on the line side and a snap swivel on the lure side. I might be wrong but I felt putting the line side directly to the wire without a swivel was going to chafe or cut the line.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

mike j wrote:I believe That is what happened. I bought some wire and made some leaders but I still put a barrel swivel on the line side and a snap swivel on the lure side. I might be wrong but I felt putting the line side directly to the wire without a swivel was going to chafe or cut the line.
You have a lot of terminal tackle going on there. You can use a tiny spro or tsunami swivel on the wire/mono connection and wire straight to the lure. Can also use an Albright knot for the wire/mono connection and again straight to the knot.

I've also noticed lots of guys aren't very efficient at tying haywire twists, if they take you too long switch to the 7 strand wire and just use figure eight knots. Crazy simple and quick to tie.

The mullet have been thick down here in Miami, but it's very hit and miss on what's on them. I still think the big schools of blues/mackerel/lady fish are a bit further north, but we are starting to see them down here.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Thanks for the information. When I bought the wire on the back of the package was a diagram of a Albright knot . I personally am proud that I use a uni to uni knot to attach my braid to mono leader. I fished the first thirty years of my life using one knot what I call a Bimini twist, I can tie it blindfolded . Going back to the schools of fish, they don't seem to be intermingling. I haven't been catching blue fish in between mackerel. when I have been catching jacks, That's it they haven't been mixed. I recently caught a very large tarpon they are with the jacks. I wish the surf would just calm down here in Palm Beach.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

i going friday afternoon to give a try. where is the best beach to go? with parking available? i was thinking oceanfront park near the jetty

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I like walking south of the jetty and fishing as I walk. I have never caught any quality fish in the surf north of the inlet. I don't know what type of fishing you doI basically use jigs or plugs and walk the beach till I find fish.

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

I wish I could fish up there :cry:

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

bringing my cast net, mullets, if not then my fav xraps..

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I fished the surf this morning north of southern on palm beach. It was really rough and windy. I didn't catch much , two jacks I didn't see any bait.

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”