Germany, 27th. 2015

Please share your reports from other Country's, we love to see what other lands have to offer and the adventure of how you hunt your fish.
Marcelk
Seasoned Fisher

Germany, 27th. 2015

Post by Marcelk »

Saturday was a good day and as the weather predictions for Sunday where even better
than the day before I had high hopes for the fishing.
As it was fall I wondered where the mushrooms had gone, I gave the search some more
attention and spotted a few along the road.

Again the weather was perfect, bright blue skies in the morning with that crisp fall feeling.

The mill pool was again not void of anglers as I arrived.
Just as with almost every bait angler I talked to the fishing was slow.
With the pool occupied I once again directed my attention to the outflow.
The stream had dropped and clarity had improved in such a manner that I believed I could
spot fish in the running water.
This visibility improvement worked both ways though as the fish slowly moved into the deeper
section of the hole I intended to fish.
It was now a lot harder to get any fish but after trying for some time I did get my first trout.

A day before I had pulled several fish out of the same pool, now just one.
The other spots where I had caught several trout earlier seemed void of life now.
At least the dace where proving a little more cooperative today.

Sometimes you get to places were your gut feeling just say "fish", the problem was I could not get
any so I was pondering why.
My conclusion was that I did not reached the right depth.
To overcome that problem I changed to a lighter tippet and voila within no time I had caught two
trout in a spot where I got no bites earlier.

I had intended to move further downstream but there was one obstacle in my way namely a slippery bank.
With my recent surgery I figured it would be not wise to move further so I headed back to the spot where I
had caught the dace earlier.

I took position near the bank and noticed some fish in the current.
The small nymph patterns where eagerly taken by the fish, a lot of fun seeing a fish turn and
swim after the nymph.

At the mill pool I spotted new faces, seemed that lack of action made anglers leave the spot prematurely.
I tried to fish the shallows but I just had the feeling that the otherwise present dace and roach where absent.
One meager dace was all I could produce from the pool.
All that wading was tiring and as I was wearing my el-cheapo one-layer wader I got a bit could.
Since it was late in the afternoon already this was the moment to visit the pub and grab something to eat.
The couple at the mill invited me for coffee and cake but I told them that I first had to go for lunch.

At the pub the fire was going so I nestled myself in front of the fireplace for my afternoon break.
The fishing had been pretty good so I was not so eager to leave the comforts of the pub, eventually
though I did.

As it was late in the day I did not bother to get into my wading gear again.
The mill pool was now vacant and ideal for an experiment I was going to undertake.
I knew that some pretty big perch where living in the pool but I was never able to catch them.
So this time I had taken with me a full sinking 4-weight line and some streamers.
After a few casts the fly was intercepted by a brown trout which escaped before I could net it.

My presence was not going by unnoticed and so I was served coffee, cake and a strong one
at the waters edge - where in the world can you get that :-)

Having hooked one trout I figured I could do it again but it turned out costly and the bottom of the
mill pool had its fair numbers of snags so flies got lost.
Still I noticed takes on the streamer which was in this case a polar minnow in perch livery.
I continued casting until I suddenly felt the long awaited tug, it was a violent take though and
I was happy that I had tied on a strong tippet.
My first thought was that I had hooked a pike but when the fish surfaced after several runs I spotted
a big brown trout.
As I was fishing barbless I did not think I would be able to land the fish but in the end I did,
personal best brown trout measuring 57cm.

After that last fish I called it a day as it could not get any better than this.
On the way back home I stopped for a break at a vantage point looking out over the fields
as the last rays of sunlight illuminated the landscape - life was good.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Re: Germany, 27th. 2015

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Really great report, I like the way you do it :toast: :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

I always like reading your reports and seeing the pictures. Keep it up. :toast:

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Awesome pictures of amazing scenery. Cool mushroom pics.

Great trout.

Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Other Countrys”