Peru 2016

Please share your reports from other Country's, we love to see what other lands have to offer and the adventure of how you hunt your fish.
Ken+
Old Salt

Peru 2016

Post by Ken+ »

Hi guys! I've been busy with my thesis and haven't been around much here. But I was able to take a trip to Peru at the end of July to mid August. This report is a little late since there were fish that were very difficult to identify. There are still some fish we're not sure of.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this virtual trip to Peru! :)

This trip almost didn't happened TWICE! But I was glad to make the sacrifices to make it happen in the end. Full story on the blog. I spent roughly one week around Cusco and one week in the Peruvian Amazon close to Iquitos. Most of the fishing was done in the Amazon, but I was happy to catch at least one Andean species and two saltwater species. This visit to Peru also allowed me to check off another continent which I have fished. Now I just need Africa ;) and Antarctica :shock:!

The full blog starts here on Day 1 (I'm sure you can navigate through the other days on my blog):

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... day-1.html

Here are some selected photos. Lots more on my blog.

Cusco

Pisac

Ollantaytambo

Salkantay hike - Highest I've ever hiked so far (4600m)...while having a bout of food poisioning!

Machu Picchu

Peruvian Amazon

Some interesting food

Guinea pig

Alpaca

Palm weevil larvae

Breaded Arapaima

~~~~~~

And finally, roughtly 50 species from fish from Peru caught on this trip.

Acrobrycon ipanquianus - Species #579

Serrasalmus rhombeus - Species #580 (Red eye and thick black margin on the tail ID this as S. rhombeus)

Pirapitinga (Piaractus brachypomus) - Species #581

Red Piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri) - Species #582

Bloch's Catfish (Pimelodus blochii) - Species #583

Sorubim maniradii - Species #584 (black stripe seems diffuse to me)

Cynodon gibbus - Species #585 (little cousin to the well known Payara. The Payara has much shorter anal fin)

Ageneiosus ucayalensis - Species #586

Triportheus angulatus - Species #587

Tetragonopterus argenteus - Species #588

Stethaprion crenatum - Species #589

Triportheus albus - Species #590

Flatwhiskered Catfish (Pinirampus pirinampu) - Sepcies #591

Trahira (Hoplias malabaricus) - Species #592

Spotted Pike-characin (Boulengerella maculata) - Species #593

Brycon melanopterus - Species #594

Mesonauta mirificus - Species #595 (updated)

Crenicichla semicincta - Species #596 (Green diagonal bands on the body is the ID key)

Leporinus moralesi - Species #597 (This species was determined base on range. L. moralesi is found in Peru)

Blue Whale Catfish (Cetopsis coecutiens) - Species #598

Pterodoras granulosus - Species #599

Cichla monoculus - Species #600!!!

Brycon cephalus - Species #601 (Still trying to determine if it really is B. cephalus)

Tucan Fish (Chalceus erythrurus) - Species #602

Spotfin Hatchetfish (Thoracocharax stellatus) - Species #603

Rhamdia quelen - Species #604 (updated)

Hypselecara temporalis - Species #605

Ageneiosus inermis - Species #606

Spotted sorubim (Pseudoplatystoma corruscans) - Species #607

Brachyplatystoma vaillantii - Species #608

Zamurito (Calophysus macropterus) - Species #609

Unknown - Species #610 (still being determined)

Ctenobrycon hauxwellianus - Species #611

Aequidens tetramerus - Species #612 (we think these are A. tetramerus...still checking)

Brachychalcinus sp. - Species #613 (some thinks it is B. copei, but I'm not so sure)

Bujurquina syspilus - Species #614

Mylossoma aureum - Species #615

Roeboides myersii - Species #616

Pimelodella cristata - Species #617 (I'm certain it is a Pimelodella, and P. cristata seems the closest)

Aimara (Hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus) - Species #618

Erythrinus erythrinus - Species #619

Bandtail Tetra (Moenkhausia dichroura) - Species #620

Glass tetra (Moenkhausia oligolepis) - Species #621

Moenkhausia chrysargyrea - Species #622 (updated)

Astyanax sp. - Species #623 (In the publication Ornamental Fishes of Peru, this was listed as an Astyanax sp., but no one seems to know which species it is)

Twospot Astyanax (Astyanax bimaculatus) - Species #624

Moenkhausia colletti - Species #625 (Still trying to verify this)

Pimelodella gracilis - Species #626 (There are so many similar Pimelodella species, still not sure which one)

Moenkhausia lepidura - Species #627

Giant Blenny (Scartichthys gigas) - Species #628

Chalapo Clinid (Labrisomus philippii) - Species #629

Updated:

Cichlasoma amazonarum - Species #630 - Technically, it was caught in the same pond as Aequidens teramerus, so really should be Species #613 and everything after gets pushed back a number. But I'm not going to edit that number here. This species was ID'd by 4 anal spines and several rows of scales on the posterior rays of the dorsal and anal fins.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Re: Peru 2016

Post by BEOWULF »

Awesome posting!

I thought the list of fish would never end, but did enjoy it. Did I see some blind cave catfish in there? Also, it seems the majority of the fish have ragged fins, as in bacteria eaten.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I really enjoyed this one...
what kinda of camera did you use to take these pic? just asking because pic quality is very good...

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

BEOWULF wrote:Awesome posting!

I thought the list of fish would never end, but did enjoy it. Did I see some blind cave catfish in there? Also, it seems the majority of the fish have ragged fins, as in bacteria eaten.
You're probably talking about the Blue Whale Catfish? No, they don't live in caves. They are pretty weird though - looks real docile in appearance, but their strong jaw bites into the mid section of an animal so the fish can burrow into the cavity, then they would eat the animal from inside out. It's quite creepy.

I think healthy animals and humans has little to worry about. But weakened or dead animals should be scared of them.

As for the ragged fins, that's due to piranha bites, bacteria is only subsequent to the initial injury due to the piranhas.

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

kblue wrote:I really enjoyed this one...
what kinda of camera did you use to take these pic? just asking because pic quality is very good...
I use a Canon A620. It's an old point and shoot camera, but is has a pretty good macro feature (down to 1cm) and a decent depth of field for regular shooting. Colour is a little flat due to the sensor, so I usually work on the photos in Photoshop to bring out the original colour that I see by eye.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Ken+ wrote:You're probably talking about the Blue Whale Catfish? No, they don't live in caves. They are pretty weird though - looks real docile in appearance, but their strong jaw bites into the mid section of an animal so the fish can burrow into the cavity, then they would eat the animal from inside out. It's quite creepy.
Yes, that's the one. Sheesh, who knew it would be such a nasty bugger! :shock:

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

thank you for an awesome vicarious trip to peru

Return to “Other Countrys”