Need help fishing in Panama City

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
Timmay

Need help fishing in Panama City

Post by Timmay »

Me and a few friends are down in Panama city for about a month and a half. We have been here since Jan but just started fishing after it warmed up. We are all new to salt water fishing since were all from land locked states. Recently we've had luck catching cat fish and even though that is better then nothing, we are more interested in catching something new. We have talked to a few people in bait shops etc and have gotten some advice. We have used shrimp, chopped bait, cigar minnows, and squid. Squid and shrimp have had the most success but its still catfish and we would like to venture out a little. We do a mixture of shore fishing and fishing off a rental pontoon boat but I was wondering what would be some advice for catching some grouper, redfish. snapper, anything that is unique to FL or saltwater (a good fight would be nice). We are trying to avoid charters but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Need help fishing in Panama City

Post by Green Tide »

You should go to the state park and fish either the jetties or the pier. Pompano and whiting are at the peir and now the spanish have started moving in. you can catch them on either a gottcha lure or a bubble and straw rig.
If you fish the pier you will find the guys on the end with large jigs looking for cobia are about as rude as you will find around here. You just have to realize they are taking time off work and have waited all year for a chance to catch one.
If you get into the bay with your boat troll the spanish trees with a clark spoon around the area behind shell island. you should see plenty of others doing the same thing. I have heard of spanish up to 4 lbs being caught. We are currenly under small craft warnings until friday so be careful.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Hell right now is the time the Cobia start running up that way I believe. You should look into that. Sorry I can't give you any more info since i'm not from the area, but ask around. From what I understand they go nuts for them up that way.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Timmay

Post by Timmay »

Thanks for the help but I have a few questions, first off I have no idea what a bubble and straw rig is lol. I tried to look it up but I did not get anything explaining how to make one. Also for the clark spoon, I know thats a brand but which one do I get? Thanks for the help.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Bubble rig is a clear plastic football shaped float with what looks like a straw going through the center of it. You can move the straw and allow water to enter the float, that allows you more weight to cast with. You trail that with a swivel and then a treble hook by about 18 inches. Before you tie on the treble hookl thread on a 2-3 inch piece of mcdonalds straw which is what the fish see as food, while you cast and jerk the bubble splashes and attracts blue fish and spanish and ladyfish.
The clark spoon is gonna have a red bead attached at the point of the hook eye. I think the average size is #3. It is the flash that attracts the fish. I have used larger spoons like a drone when larger fish are around. But for the most part you will hook fish on the hooks on the tree that have different colored tubes attached. If you go to half hitch tackle they will set you up with both rigs for about 12 bucks total.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Fishing Location Help”