Newbie Surf fishing in West Central Florida

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
indie
Fisher

Newbie Surf fishing in West Central Florida

Post by indie »

Newbie Surf Fishing in West Central Florida.

I havent fished since I was a kid, but have been wanting to take it up as a hobby. I will be visiting tampa area and spending a bit of time at a beach and want to surf fish. I went to walmart and bought a cheap shakespeare spincast combo, but my wife tells me she wants to fish with me, so that gave me the green light to get more stuff lol.

I just want advice on what gear to use in order to see some action. I spoke with a local captain who knew the beach i would be fishing from and he told me where to look for some troughs with specks, redfish and snook. Time is limited, will probably get in about 5 hours of fishing in during this trip.

what we have so far.
2 packs Saltwater Assassin Blurp scented, Sea Shad in pearl white and Shrimp in Molting color
2 packs Berkley Gulp Swimming Shad in Nuclear chicken and sand eel in pearl white.

several 3/0, 4/0, and 1/0 circle & baitholder hooks on flourocarbon leader rigs.
various lengths 18 inches, 24 inches, 28 inches and 36 inches.

3/8oz jigheads with 3/0 hooks

4 flats equalizer rattling popping corks

quick snaps for changing out rigs

shakespeare tiger 6'6" spincast combo. 20lb test line
shakespeare wicked stik 6' medium action bigwater casting rod
Shimano FX 7' casting rod medium action
large daiwa d-turbo gold reel. 4ball bearings, instant anti-reverse spooled with 120 yards of 30lb braid
zebco rhino rsc3 with 12lb test, 80 yards i believe.

on of my questions is what should i use for this trip, i want to take two rod/reel combo's. I think my wife will be best suited with the 6' rod because she has absolutely never fished in her life and shes only 5'2" herself?

Also, will saltwater likely ruin these rods and reels, i think the shakespeare tiger combo was for salt or freshwater which was why i bought it. But I dont want to screw up the other stuff I invested a little bit more in on my 1st saltwater fishing trip?
Last edited by indie on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indie
Fisher

Re: Newbie Surf fishing in East Central Florida

Post by indie »

Another question, I've been reading up on braided line and its "cutting power". I just ran by boaters world and grabbed a sand spike, You think it would be a good idea to deadstick the rod/reel with the braid line with a fluoro leader/circle hook and a weight to keep it on the bottom and cast it closer to shore and away from us fishing and any other people while we work the other two rods with the popping corks?

Am i getting in over my head here with 3 rods and 2 newbies in the surf? LOL

indie
Fisher

Re: Newbie Surf fishing in East Central Florida

Post by indie »

jettypark28 wrote:As long as you wash down "All" your gear after "Every" use they should be find...also lude your
reel...
As for braid...if you only have a 5hr window to fish forget braid...there is a learning curve that goes with it
and it isnt really forgivening....stick to mono line and you should be fine...
if you only have a 5hr window...just stick to lures and see what happens...soaking bait is a time thing and 5hr at times
isnt much time :shock:

Enjoy your stay and a big tip....do a search on the area you will be fishing...we might have all
kinds of info on

Oh your subject is "East central fl" and than your post said west central fl :scratch:
i am on the east coast and yes their is a big diffenets fishing the surf in west VS east...
:toast:
thanks for your help. Changed the thread title. I bought one of the reels from a guide captain who already had new 30lb powerpro on it tied to a swivel. I was thinking of using it to deadstick possibly while my wife and I fish the other two rods and reels with gulp under a popping cork but not if i was getting in over my head lol

I've been searching for weeks for info on the particular beach i will be fishing, not much info because Its not a very large or popular beach, but the local area guide did put me on to where to fish from the beach and told me i should be able to find snook, redfish and trout.

Ive been tying rigs and setting things up so all i have to do is snap on a rig, drop on a gulp and fish when i get to the beach.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Newbie Surf fishing in West Central Florida

Post by fishnfool73 »

Buy a couple whiting or pompano rigs and a few 1 - 4 oz pyramids. Bait with cut shrimp cast losen drag put in sand spike and sit back. Best way to catch some fish and keep the wifey busy. Pompano, whiting, runners , jacks, croakers, snook, drums, and bluefish are all possible.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

indie
Fisher

Re: Newbie Surf fishing in West Central Florida

Post by indie »

thanks guys, excited for the weekend to get here.

I'm familiar with the stingray shuffle.

I decided to keep it simple and go with just 2 rods. One of the rods i ordered from sportsmans guide was incorrect anyway, I ordered a casting rod and they sent me a spinning rod. They let me keep the rod and refunded me.

I also picked up a couple double circle hook rigs as well and some sinkers.
Ill be back to let everyone know how it went, hopefully with pictures of my catch. :toast:

Return to “Fishing Location Help”