Tarpon in the Surf

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
Snook hunter
Old Salt

Tarpon in the Surf

Post by Snook hunter »

Everyone has to have a goal and mine is to land a tarpon from the beach this year. I could use some advice on baits/lures/tides/time of day/etc.... Can this be done in Boynton Beach?

Thanks

HDW2
Fisher

Re: Tarpon in the Surf

Post by HDW2 »

I had one hit last year @ Canaveral Seashore on a finger mullet. Didn't land it but it was a fun 3-4 minutes!! :nopity:

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

I did a search and found out this is a very popular topic. The search results were as followed, "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common" :scratch: I did multiple searches and got know where.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Thatcher
Fisher

Post by Andy Thatcher »

Not a master but this is the area that I have been thinking about most !

Only had 3 trips with tarpon from the beach but I have read just about everything online that I can find online.

So far I have managed to hook and lose one from Playalinda. I believe I had another 2 hits but hey they didn't jump so can't be sure.

So far my less than subtle tactic have involved hurling out half a fresh mullet to about 80 yards. From everything I have read the main chances in this area are from mid July through to early September.

I have never been a huge fan of long hook leaders so have been using 4ft of 80lb mono to size 7/0 circles, suspect I will end up at 2 - 3ft.

Can't really talk about lure fishing as my total experience of lure fishing wouldn't cover the back of a postage stamp.

This coming campaign I am going to be investigating chumming more and ways of delivering it to the distances I require it. I believe that tarpon may come closer to shore overnight so will try and find out where I can go fishing to investigate that claim, also seeing if I actually need to be fishing at 80 yards during the day.

Ohhh so much to think about and ideas to play with, going to be fun :D
Cheers
Andy

HDW2
Fisher

Post by HDW2 »

I hooked up a Tarpon Saturday just south of High Bridge area after fishing the Tomoka Basin. Was a bit windy, choppy but still fishable. Was about to head in and decided to toss a few shots by the park area just south of High Bridge. Low and behold landed a small 35-45 pounder. Didn't want to haul him out of the water into the boat just for a weigh in. But the fight in that youngin was great fun. This area in frot of the park has produced some good trout and snook in the past. Now I can include a poon from there.
THE PERFECT DAY fishing, Harley ridin, golfing, and a few beers!!

ImageImageImage

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Once the bait starts showin' up around Boynton the Tarpon will shows up aswell. They tend to hang around under the bridge at night and early morning. Last time I hooked one there it was on a berkley 6" swimbait mullet.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”