Tarpon in the intercoastal

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
ddratler
Old Salt

Tarpon in the intercoastal

Post by ddratler »

when do the tarpon make there way into the intercoastal?
also what tides and baits would you recommend fishing for them?
i have a spot behind a condo next to the 163st bridge and used to fish there with my brother, using halfs of large mullet wed hook up with tarpon almost every cast, now its a few years later and i forgot which season they would turn up and which tides to fish
i went there during a crazy storm last night, didnt have any large mullet so i used frozen pilchards, and live grunts with no luck, also it was during low tide
any help would be great :cheers:
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Tarpon in the intercoastal

Post by fixed80 »

I have a clue. try August, September and October. when the mullet move south on their migration, everything follows them especially your targeted fish. sense you used mullet for bait before, probably stick to that. most of the tarpon feed on that type of bait during the migration run. other than using big mullet(that are live), big pilchards, threadfins, runners and manhaden work great too. either bait used alive should create more strikes for ya.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

thanks for the advice, i had a hunch thats when they really run
do you think theyre around now through july, also which baits are best for these months and what tides?

Dani D

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

ddratler
thanks for the advice, i had a hunch thats when they really run
do you think theyre around now through july, also which baits are best for these months and what tides?

When I was fishing at hillsboro inlet(late afternoon into the evening), I saw a few tarpon go by. both average around 20 - 40lb. even reel cast posted a report on a tarpon he caught at Boca inlet. so it true. their in there coming in and out of the inlets. but only when the mullet come down during summer, that's when it really fires up. you can use a gator/sea striker spoon around 3onces to get the tarpons attention. the spoon would act like an injured mullet or mojarra swimming through the murky water. a big(not offshore) lip diving plug can work also while fishin for tarpon. if you want to go with bait all the way then that's fine. it can be better than lures sometimes but not all ways. use whatever is easy to buy or catch. pinfish and pigfish are good baits to use because they make alot of sound and vibration in the water. if you can get em in your area, fish either bait under a bobber but make sure the fish doesn't swim close to the bottom. if you can not buy or catch either bait, then try the other most commonly used bait like a big mullet or pilchard which I stated in the first reply.

Im not sure on which is the best tide if it even mattered in the ICW. You might have to get another reply on that one.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

The Tarpon are stack in the Keys now.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Tough to beat a nice size live shrimp for tarpon anywhere.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

fished under a bobber? also when using a bobber how many feet of line should be under the bobber? ive heard people say enough so its right off the bottom but im guessing theyre fishing shallow water, and flats, because where im fishing goes down over 20ft

Dani D

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I use trollrites and cast up current allowing the shrimp to drift back. Or a bare hook with a split shot. Most Tarpon I see in Government Cut usually stay mid to top of the water column. I'm pretty sure they do the same everywhere in the inlet.

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

D, you can probably sit on the tee of any pier now thru the beginning of July and swim almost any Livey 15 or 20 ft off the south side. Tarpon are on the move, South to North right now. Remember to hold on, many 50 to 80lb and quite a few 100plus.
xtheline

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

Sorry I'm half asleep. You did say Intercoastal, never mind.
xtheline

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

thanks keith :biglaugh:

bolo, is there a special style jighead called troll rite or anyone will work?

Dani D

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Trol rite is a jig head Hank Browns makes them as do a few others. Some are cheaper but they have cheaper hooks that will fail you on a good fish. I prefer that shape as it snags less and the hook rides more upright esp in current vs other style jigheads that spin or tumble.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

bolo wrote:The Tarpon are stack in the Keys now.
8) Yeah... and you forgot to say they are all 200lbrs.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

fishnfool73 wrote:Trol rite is a jig head Hank Browns makes them as do a few others. Some are cheaper but they have cheaper hooks that will fail you on a good fish. I prefer that shape as it snags less and the hook rides more upright esp in current vs other style jigheads that spin or tumble.
This style of jig head is called Banana Jig. The shape allows the jig to flutter down and does not snag as easily like Fishinfool has mention. Hank Brown is the brand we use and can be purchase at Bass Pro or any good stocking tackle shop.

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

This rain and big infusion of freshwater has really turned the Tarpon on in the IRL tributaries. See my report of yesterday's outing in the Brevard County forum.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

Return to “Fishing Location Help”