Snappers off the pier

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
jbuck501
Old Salt

Snappers off the pier

Post by jbuck501 »

My son and I have fished Daina pier a few times since our arrival here. We have only caught baitfish and a gob of blue runners. We mainly fish daytime and stay off the "T" due to the number of rods and people out there. I would like to catch some snappers. Is night time the best time to catch them? Can they be caught along the pier or only off the the end at the "T"?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Snappers off the pier

Post by fishnfool73 »

Night time is the better time to target them and they can be caught halfway on the pier where the reef starts to the T . Don't overlook fishing under the pier on the pilings either.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

fish under the pier - preferably on the T - you will get short yellowtails but will find more keeper mangroves under there. in my opinion, the chance to get a keeper mutton casting out in the T is too much work, not alot of results
California-Florida fisherman

jbuck501
Old Salt

Post by jbuck501 »

Thanks for the info. I guess we will try a night trip. The Tee is a pretty intense place. Aside from some serious lead slinging it has been raining blue runners, comming over the rail 3 to 5 at a time. Since my son has started school now we will only be going out on the weekends. The last 2 weekends the pier has been pretty busy and the tee full. By the way, those blue runners filleted (sp) properly are dang fine eating. Looking forward to tasting some more SE Florida fish.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

jbuck501 wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess we will try a night trip. The Tee is a pretty intense place. Aside from some serious lead slinging it has been raining blue runners, comming over the rail 3 to 5 at a time. Since my son has started school now we will only be going out on the weekends. The last 2 weekends the pier has been pretty busy and the tee full. By the way, those blue runners filleted (sp) properly are dang fine eating. Looking forward to tasting some more SE Florida fish.
save some of those runner fillets or chunks for snappers. herd they luv em too.

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

fixed80 wrote:
save some of those runner fillets or chunks for snappers. herd they luv em too.
oh yeah, fillet then chunk the fillets, the little snaps will bight at it but it will stay on the hook until the big ones find it
just remember not to set the hook at every bite, the little snapper will sometimes grab onto the bait and drag it back to his whole before he eats it, youll know when ones really on there :salut:
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

:salut:

Return to “Fishing Location Help”