First time fishing saltwater. Near Cudjoe Key

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
mswanson
Fisher

First time fishing saltwater. Near Cudjoe Key

Post by mswanson »

Hi,

This will be my first time fishing in saltwater. I'm going to be staying near cudjoe key in mid january.

I do alot of freshwater fishing, so hopefully some of that transfers. I'll bring a heavy spinning rig with 30lb braid.

I've read that I could use a slip sinker bottom rig with shrimp. Is there any top water rig that might work too?

Where are some places near I was staying where I could fish?

Could I fish around boat docks also?

Could someone give me some pointers? I don't care too much what I hook, I just want to have some fun for the short time I'm down there.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: First time fishing saltwater. Near Cudjoe Key

Post by fishnfool73 »

There are a few bridges in that area that you can do well on for snapper, jacks, cudas, sharks,and small grouper. That time of the year is tricky as strong winds can shut down the bite. Send me an instance message and I will point to you the right direction. Do a search of the Monroe county section here or do a search on bridge fishing as there is a lot of information posted on this site about this question.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

mswanson
Fisher

Re: First time fishing saltwater. Near Cudjoe Key

Post by mswanson »

Thanks for the info. I'm reading like crazy and some things are starting to come together.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”