A few questions about the keys. (Nets and camping)

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
Jknuth
Fisher

A few questions about the keys. (Nets and camping)

Post by Jknuth »

Hi all,

Ive been visiting here for quite some time here, its just taken a while to post.
My Wife and I used to spend our summers (Anniversary) in the keys. Well its been 5 years since our last trip down.
This June we will be making the trek down from Wisconsin to spend some time in the keys again.
We have a nice site booked in Long key state park.
Ive never been to the park, but it seems very nice. With a good location to some choice bridges.

Here are my questions.

#1. Bridge net (Landing nets) Does anyone have an online source for a bridge style landing net? or even just the hoop for the net. I have an old one, but the hoop is damaged and Id like to have a new one for the keys. It would also come in handy up here in Wisconsin.

#2. I am a full time sculptor and taxidermist. I want to pick up a few specimens for mounting while Im down there. Not looking for anything huge just some salties for the display wall. We will be tent camping for 3 nights. What is the best way to keep the fish while I am here? In years past when we stayed at Big pine fishing lodge we were able to store our fish in the walk in freezer (For a small fee) Ive checked Long key and they dont have a freezer for this although they said I may be able to use theirs, but couldn't guarantee it. Is there any bait shops, marinas.... that would offer this service?
Aside from that my only other plan is super chilling the cooler with a salt ice mix. like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7TvEIA0Ln4
I'm a little unsure how long this mix will keep it cold for 3 full days int June Key weather.

Thanks a bunch, and any tips for camping, fishing and exploring Long key are always more then welcome.

~Josh

C-MONEY

Re: A few questions about the keys. (Nets and camping)

Post by C-MONEY »

Last weekend I stayed on long key bridge, if you wanna fish all 3 days you can just stay on the bridge, there are mutton snapper, pinfish (for bait), mangrove snapper, sharks, bluefish, snook and tarpon. As for a net you will definitly need one for longkey, dont want to risk hooking on a big mutton or bluefish and you cant bring it up. Basspro sells them I think around 30$ each.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”