Fort Lauderdale surf fishing under threat

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
boriqua187
Fisher

Fort Lauderdale surf fishing under threat

Post by boriqua187 »

This lady Nanci Alexander is just another old retired peta member that is trying to make another rule in this state that will impact hundreds, listen lady go back to D.C. And leave us floridians alone doing what has been done for years. What you really need to focus on is putting a max capacity on people that aren't from this state maybe there will be more room on the beach for the actual retired floridians. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/outd ... story.html

Fishing from the beach in Fort Lauderdale is under attack.

Because of the claims of an animal rights activist, the Fort Lauderdale City Commission is scheduled to discuss a proposed ordinance about beach fishing at its conference meeting Tuesday afternoon.

The ordinance would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. all along the beach in Fort Lauderdale, up to Oakland Park Boulevard.

Currently, beach fishing is allowed from 6 p.m.-9 a.m. up to Northeast 18th Street, from 4 p.m.-9 a.m. between Northeast 18th and 23rd streets and anytime north of Northeast 23rd Street.

The activist, Nanci Alexander, who not only is against fishing but also hunting, zoos, horse-drawn carriages and circuses, happens to live in a condo at 28th Street that has beachfront views.

In an email to Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler and commissioners Romney Rogers, Bruce Roberts and Robert McKinzie, she wrote that commissioner Dean Trantalis "is sponsoring an ordinance to make the existing fishing regulations consistent and apply equally to all of Ft. Lauderdale beach."

She went on to say that "Fishing creates a dangerous situation for families enjoying the beach. Frequently fishing poles are left standing in the sand unattended. In addition, nets, poles, hooks and other fishing equipment are left on the sand unattended. Throwing lines with hooks are dangerous to people using the beach; turtles and other wildlife can get caught in the nets and hooks."

The notion that anglers are cast-netting turtles is ridiculous. A fishing rod in a sand spike might look unattended to an uninformed observer, but anglers are always watching to see if they get a bite.

Steve Kantner of Fort Lauderdale, a surf fishing authority and the author of the excellent book "The Ultimate Guide to Fishing South Florida on Foot," called Alexander's assertions "a litany of absurdities."

"What right-minded fisherman would throw his line out in a bunch of swimmers?" he said. He added that in places like Juno Beach, where anglers can fish all day, they co-exist peacefully and safely with swimmers, dog owners and their pets.

"They don't go near swimmers. Nobody gets hooked," Kantner said. "What bothers me most about the motivation behind this kind of an ordinance is the blatant inaccuracies that are behind it. It's all not true. All you have to do is go up the coast and see legions of beachgoers who get along with fishermen."

Here's the thing about Alexander: She often misrepresents the facts, to put it kindly.

When I first started working at the Sun Sentinel in 1990, I wrote about the great hunting at the Dupuis Wildlife and Environmental Area in western Palm Beach and Martin counties. Alexander called me and said hunters were shooting Florida panthers at Dupuis.

I called Jim Huffstodt, the information officer for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's south regional office in West Palm Beach.

Back then, there was no Google, and Huffstodt undertook an exhaustive search to determine that no panther had ever been shot at Dupuis.

When I told Alexander, she basically said oh well, panthers shouldn't have to be subjected to bullets whizzing over their heads, which left me shaking my head.

That's when I realized what type of activist I was dealing with.

Another time, Alexander told me that a congressional committee that worked on the 1973 Endangered Species Act cited hunting and habitat loss as the two major causes of species extinction. So I called George Reiger, the conservation editor for Field & Stream magazine, who helped with that legislation.

Reiger told me that the committee was talking about commercial hunting, which was banned early in the last century. He added that the committee noted the major role regulated recreational hunting had in restoring species.

After disproving some of her other claims, I discovered she was also a hypocrite when a fellow reporter told me that Alexander, whose ex-husband is Leslie Alexander, the billionaire owner of the Houston Rockets, owned a Rolls-Royce with leather seats. When I asked her about the car after she called me to raise a stink about something I had written, she said she was still trying to come to grips with that.

I asked Trantalis, who received several other anti-beach fishing emails with claims a lot like Alexander's, about the ordinance. He said, "Members of our community who use the beach came to me and explained to me that there were persons fishing at our beach and the manner in which they were fishing posed a threat … to beachgoers and sunbathers."

When I told him the claims were questionable, I got the impression he hadn't considered that possibility. He did say that "all types of activity" at the beach should be encouraged.

When I said the current regulations allow that, but the proposed ordinance would eliminate a large chunk of beach open to fishing during the day, he said, "I have not seen the proposed ordinance. Perhaps we'll massage the ordinance when it comes to the commission."

Public comments are allowed at Tuesday's meeting at Fort Lauderdale City Hall, and the ordinance should come up between 2:15 and 3:30 p.m.

swaters@tribpub.com or @WatersOutdoors
Copyright © 2015, Sun Sentinel

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Re: Fort Lauderdale surf fishing under threat

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This goes before the city comm on 11/17/15 1:30pm it will come up around 2pm.

This will prevent the only area on Fort lauderdale beach that we can fish 24/7 that is the very north end. Now I don't know what others are going to do but I know what we should do.

Now a crowd of Fisherman need to show up at this meeting so I will post up later the letters that the city received from the people trying to do this and it is very lame what they say. but none the less these people will achieve there mission if fisherman do not show -- FACT.

I will also post an email up for everyone to post an email to.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Tommy can you post what the paper is saying-

Unless we pay which i wont we cant read what the newspaper is writing about

BoatlessFisherman

The CLOCK is TICKING 2 1/2 DAYS not alot of time but we can stop this from going any further

1.Ok first send an email to these emails and tell them NO
jack.seiler@fortlauderdale.gov
BRoberts@fortlauderdale.gov
RMckinzie@fortlauderdale.gov
dtrantalis@fortlauderdale.gov
RRogers@fortlauderdale.gov
Commissioner Robert L. McKinzie RMckinzie@fortlauderdale.gov
Commissioner Romney Rogers RRogers@fortlauderdale.gov.

2.Post your email up here in this thread so others can see them and they can reuse or rewrite there own that is the best way as you can see from their letters they just used mainly one letter just worded a little different on some. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WRITE AN EMAIL PLEASE

3. BE at the meeting and show support and if you have the balls to stand up for what you believe SPEAK out loud there don't be afraid this is your RIGHT.

4. Post this info everywhere online Facebook, Twitter, FS Forum, SFSC Forum, Pier Surf Forum ALL THE FORUMS Plead with your friends to repost.

Look you can do nothing and bittch or do something and try to make change and feel good that you are doing what you believe is right and this is yours to enjoy now and for the future so help to stop what they want to do.

This is the Fort Lauderdales Commission meeting page
https://fortlauderdale.legistar.com/Mee ... s=&Search=

PDF's related to this

Letters from those that are for the change
http://boatlessfishing.com/ftlaudfishin ... etters.pdf

Regulation as it is
http://boatlessfishing.com/ftlaudfishin ... ations.pdf

The draft of what they want
http://boatlessfishing.com/ftlaudfishin ... inance.pdf

This is the meeting
CITY OF FORT LAUDERDALE
City Commission Agenda Memo #15-1476
CONFERENCE MEETING

TO: Honorable Mayor & Members of the
Fort Lauderdale City Commission

DATE: November 17, 2015

TITLE: Discussion of Fishing Regulations on Fort Lauderdale Beach (Between
NE 18th Street and NE 23rd Street)

This item has been placed on the Conference Agenda at the request of Commissioner
Trantalis.

Commissioner Trantalis’ office has received communication from Nanci Alexander and other individuals (Exhibit 1) regarding banning of fishing and surf casting between NE
23rd Street and Oakland Park Boulevard. The current ordinance (Exhibit 2) provides fishing and surf casting to be permitted as follows:

 Fishing from south end of Fort Lauderdale Beach Park to NE 18th Street allowed from 6pm – 9am
 Fishing from NE 18th Street to NE 23rd Street allowed from 4pm – 9am
 Fishing from NE 23rd Street and north is allowed at any time.

The City Attorney’s Office has drafted the attached ordinance (Exhibit 3) which would
prohibit fishing and surf casting on any portion of the beach as described in Section 8-
52 of the Code of Ordinances (described below).

Sec. 8-52. - Fort Lauderdale Beach designated.

The public bathing beach or beaches on the waters of Atlantic Ocean in the city extending from the north line of Government Lot 3, Section 12, Township 50
South, Range 42 East extended to the Atlantic Ocean on the south to the northern boundary line of Section 31, Township 49 South, Range 43 East on the
north and from Atlantic Boulevard on the west to the waters of Atlantic Ocean on the east (with the exception of two (2) parcels of private property in such area) and that area shown as Sand Beach on the plat of Lauderdale Beach as recorded in Plat Book 4, page 2, Broward County records, which extends from
the northern boundary line of Section 31, Township 49 South, Range 43 East on
the south to the north boundary line of Oakland Park Beach Boulevard extended to the waters of the Atlantic Ocean on the north and from the east boundary line
of Blocks 12, 13, Vista Park, 14, C, D, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 of Lauderdale Beach Subdivision as recorded in Plat Book 4, page 2, Broward County records, on the west to the waters of Atlantic Ocean on the east, and it is hereby known and
designated as Fort Lauderdale Beach and is hereby declared to be a public municipal beach and recreational area for the use of the public in general.

This item is presented to the Commission for further discussion.

Exhibit 1 – Communication from Nanci Alexander and others regarding fishing on the beach
Exhibit 2 – Fishing Regulations.
Exhibit 3 – Draft Ordinance

Prepared by: Katerina Skoundridakis, City Manager’s Office
Department Director: Lee R. Feldman, ICMA-CM, City Manager
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

Fukk the Newpaper this is what is happening read above Please and Help

Seriously I want to see all you Facebookers and instagrammers posting please get some attention
-Tommy A-

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:Fukk the Newpaper this is what is happening read above Please and Help

Seriously I want to see all you Facebookers and instagrammers posting please get some attention
You know what i meant!!!! :tongue:
Had no clue whats going on so needed the info you posted

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Thanks for the info Tommy. Sent mine as this (not only this instance) is a subject I've fought since I was a smelly little shrimp.

Mr. Mayor and others:

I would like to take a moment to ask you to not subject the whole community to the will of a few form letters from citizens encouraging you to restrict fishing on Northern Ft. Lauderdale beaches to a few hours of usable daylight.

I use those beaches regularly and often see people fishing, an activity that brings in millions of dollars to our state and local community each year. Often I see a father teaching his kids how to cast or bait a hook, little pieces of Americana that are passed from generation to generation. When I am out there fishing tourist and even snowbirds will come and ask questions or just make general conversation. Never once has any asked me to move because they were in fear of hooks or lines...or sharks. I must admit the fear of sharks gave me quite the chuckle. What's next, will the people behind this closure ask you to install shark netting to keep them safe?

I don't see the trash left by fishermen or injured wildlife mentioned in those form letters. I see trash left by visitors, due you propose closing the beaches entirely due to trash? Of course not, that's preposterous. Closing this small section of beach is just preposterous.

Once upon a time there were miles and miles of coastline open to fishing, now those miles and miles are reduced to spots here and there. Fishermen are constantly pushed to the margins to satisfy those with agendas. This is another case of an agenda aimed at ending recreational fishing in our community.

Growing up there was a slogan, get a child hooked on fishing, not drugs. I encourage each of you to pause for second and think of those who come after us. By banning or limiting fishing opportunities now, you are single handedly eliminating a chance at creating that next generation to pass along those little pieces of Americana that were handed down by their mentor.

In closing, I ask you to consider the whole community when you cast your vote, not just the voices of a view.

Sincerely
--
Danny L. Barbee

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Paging crashmister........

BoatlessFisherman

Danny That was a Great Email Thank you for supporting this fishing cause
-Tommy A-

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

From a different perspective............

Gentlemen,

I'm beyond stunned and disappointed. I've fished the surf in Lauderdale for over fifty years now and been a resident half as long. I love my community but, quite honestly, that beach is the reason I have been paying my taxes here. You just think you can take that away from me because you are not members of my lifelong angling community? Or just because you think you can?

It's 2015 .....the Gays got their rights, Black Lives Matter now, Rednecks carry guns in Starbucks, and even the Muslims can build a mosque my town ...........but you are considering a fishing prohibition on my beach? Why? Because I haven't paraded down Main Street dancing with my junk exposed? Because I haven't burned down my CVS? Because I'm not a member of a powerful Washington lobby? Or maybe it's just because I'm a natural born 100% American that's been sitting on my couch too long minding my own business not watching my own six from my own elected "representatives"

Well I'm sick and tired of being a chump in the country I fought to defend even though no Vietnamese ever called me a Nigger. I'm certainly not going be treated like a chump in the town I live. I am going to fish my beach and plan to go to jail in protest. I will be organizing other S.Fla. Fishermen and urging others to do the same with me. You have no legitimate reason or right to deprive me of what I have enjoyed a lifetime.

I believe you have already decided to pass a prohibition later this week which I cannot prevent. I expect it.

Thank you for your time,
Lieutenant Colonel Richard M. Mayer, USA, Ret.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Does it matter if we aren't ftlaud residents or they don't know amyway?

BoatlessFisherman

HJared wrote:Does it matter if we aren't ftlaud residents or they don't know amyway?
No it does not matter, but you fish here thats what matters
-Tommy A-

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

In so much as the "Beach" belongs to the state and not city of Fort Lauderdale, no! You don't need to be a Lauderdale resident. You do need to be level headed and well behaved.

We've killed this in Boca, Pompano, & Delray to name a few under the guise of unsafe beach shark fishing.

Delray passed a joke that was dropped completely a couple of years ago. Boca freaked at the response and dropped it from the meeting agenda. Then pawned it off on the marine commission. Who ultimately said, Ban What? GTF outa here! The black tip migration pretty much ended the entire saga.

Pompano was very reasonable and dropped it before its second reading. I seem to recall a young man addressing the city council and closing the door on the opposition with a slam. I think he was about 10 years old.

Search Boca shark fishing Ban here. All the background leg work has been done for you. In a nutshell, COFL has the authority to manage guarded beaches during normal operational hours. It's up to us to remind them of that.

Tommy and I along with Zach Hammer Miller & the Shark Brothers and a number of others have successfully defended beach fishing. But each time our "number of others" gets smaller.

Tommy posted the email address so write a letter stating your position, then cut and paste it to all of them. I know many believe this is useless. Boca got so many, they posted police outside city hall the night of the meeting, after they canceled the second reading. Believe me they work.

If you can't make the meeting at least write a letter. I don't even fish beaches. But I have no intention of letting some douche bag take that right away from my grand son.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

like i said on the facebook post who ever goes to the meeting needs to bring up these state statues the beachis a part of a state owned water body and there for state statues TRUMP city ordinances !

379.104 Right to hunt and fish.—The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state’s economy and in the conservation, preservation, and management of the state’s natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution.
History.—s. 8, ch. 2002-46; s. 8, ch. 2008-247.

Florida Statutes 379.105 – Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers

(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:
(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.
(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s.379.401.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

well yall have one friend on the council down there

Jack Seiler <Jack.Seiler@Fortlauderdale.Gov> Today at 8:52 AM
To
David Vickers

I fish, too.

I don't plan on amending any City ordinances concerning fishing.

Jack Seiler ( Mayor )

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

Honorable Mayor and Commissioners:

While you’re considering prohibiting surf fishing on the public beaches in Fort Lauderdale, FL I’d like to remind you of two key FSS’s that takes precedence.

379.101 Definitions.—In construing these statutes, where the context does not clearly indicate otherwise, the word, phrase, or term:
(1) “Authorization” means a number issued by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, or its authorized agent, which serves in lieu of a license or permits and affords the privilege purchased for a specified period of time.

(2) “Beaches” and “shores” shall mean the coastal and intracoastal shoreline of this state bordering upon the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, the Straits of Florida, and any part thereof, and any other bodies of water under the jurisdiction of the State of Florida, between the mean high-water line and as far seaward as may be necessary to effectively carry out the purposes of this act.

379.104 Right to hunt and fish.—The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state’s economy and in the conservation, preservation, and management of the state’s natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution.

(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:
(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.
(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.
(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s.379.401.

The beaches of Florida are for the use of ALL citizens, fishermen and not. If there is a pollution issue, then police that – not close the beach for fishing and risk a public backlash that will far outweigh the few letter writers.

I ask you to consider the whole community when you cast your vote, not just the voices of a view.

Take care,

Rob Adams

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

i copied and pasted all emails to my recipient list

i took one of the letters and added and edited it and put in some of my own thoguhts and points and a message for miss alexander..... here you go my letter:

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to not subject the whole community to the will of a few form letters from citizens encouraging you to restrict fishing on Ft. Lauderdale beaches to a few hours of usable daylight. I would attend the meeting and speak out loud, but i can not due to my job. The most I can do is write this letter at the moment....

I use those beaches regularly and often see people fishing, an activity that brings in millions of dollars to our state and local community each year. Often I see a father teaching his kids how to cast or bait a hook, little pieces of America that are passed from generation to generation. When I am out there fishing tourists and even snowbirds will come and ask questions or just make general conversation. Never once has any asked me to move because they were in fear of hooks or lines...or sharks. I must admit the fear of sharks gave me quite a laugh. What's next, will the people behind this closure ask you to install shark netting to keep them safe?

I don't see the trash left by fishermen or injured wildlife mentioned in those form letters. I see trash left by visitors, do you propose closing the beaches entirely due to trash? Of course not, that's preposterous. Closing any section of beach is just preposterous.

Once upon a time there were miles and miles of coastline open to fishing, now those miles and miles are reduced to spots here and there. Fishermen are constantly pushed to the margins to satisfy those with agendas. This is another case of an agenda aimed at ending recreational fishing in our community.

Growing up there was a slogan, get a child hooked on fishing, not drugs. I encourage each of you to pause for second and think of those who come after us. By banning or limiting fishing opportunities now, you are single handedly eliminating a chance at creating that next generation to pass along those little pieces of Americana that were handed down by their mentor.

In closing, I ask you to consider the whole community when you cast your vote, not just the voices of a view.

It is completely inconsiderate to even put this to a vote and deprive Florida natives and other residents alike the pleasure of fishing in a state consider the fishing capital... the only reason i put up with taxes and expensive overpriced living arrangements in this state is for my lvoe of fishing and the beach, otherwise i would have moved. I was born and raised here and i am 38 years old. I have been fishing my whole life.... you have no right to take that away from me as a natural born Floridian and a resident of Broward county... muchless a lifelong resident of the beautiful state of Florida. In fact i take great insult to the falsified reasons behind this motion.

Perhaps I should write a letter complaining about gays on the beach cause i dont want to see that? a letter about ppl with herpes or other skin diseases or illnesses SWIMMING in the same waters we do. how bout everyone urinating in the water as they swim... would you like to go after them as well? how bout the cigarette butts i have stepped on and had stuck to my feet or bottles and cans i have kicked?
not once in 38 yrs have i ever been caught in a fishing line ot found a lead or leader or seen or stepped on a hook on the beach anywhere from deerfield to miami...... while we are at it lets arrest ppl who spit and blow their nose in those waters and sand when they ingest too much salt water........

the following statutes discredit the entire notion and this entire vote by state law..... fishing and hunting is our right.... Please relate my message to Miss Alexander, "if you dont like the way floridians live then i suggest you go back where you came from.. THIS IS OUR HOME NOT YOURS. Go play somewhere else if you dont like how we live..... DO NOT TREAD ON ME"

most sincerely and thank you for voting in favor of floridas fishermen,
Gerald R.Barbieri

BoatlessFisherman

FYI
This woman is not just any woman she won the PETA award and is very involved with Peta and they do not fight fair, she will flood the place with sheep.

We need emails sent and we need people to show up and stand up to keep this little section open 24/7 to us and to give it to them would be a loss that can not be measured until you wish to fish in the middle of the day and can't from the beach.

The area that would still be allowed has ZERO beach Access

What would it mean
you could not Fish during the day
you could not sand flea during the day
you could not fish this area during the mullet run during the day
you could not go with your family and all enjoy something as I do when I go with my girls
Many never new this was 24/7 well now you do and if you do not help you will not have it as an alternative for fishing during the day
-Tommy A-

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

So the meeting is at 130 Tuesday? Do you have the address?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Done... Ridiculous...

-Swordfish

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Just sent mine...

Dear Honorable Mayor & Members of the Fort Lauderdale City Commission

I am stunned to hear a few people are attempting to extend fishing regulation to only place allowed for day time in Fort Lauderdale beach…
I had a chance to review their justification. Unsafe or danger to beach goers... I strongly recommend to check history of actual incidence that supports this claim.
Their claim tells me how much they don’t know about what today’s sport fishermen go through and it seems a little biased and ignorant.
I seem to believe it is not from everyday citizen like me. Today’s sport fishermen are easily group of most law abiding citizens.
There are countless regulations we have to remember and obey in order to enjoy fishing as a sport. South FL is one of heavily regulated places for sport fishing in the world…
Probably, the last place to worry about “unsafe or danger to beach goers”...

With having said that, please do not go by your ear but by your eye and make a decision not biased but fair to everyone.

Thank You

Jongsoo Kim

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Here is mine..never been much of a writer, but here it is!

Good morning, I have been a fellow south Floridian for 36 years. I can say that I have enjoyed all of our natural resources made available to me as a fisherman and I can say that for most of my fellow fishermen as well. But, what I have noticed is that somehow and someway, the city in itself has sought out to take these resources away from me and others for reasons that aren't justified. We are being limited or restricted to the areas we've been fishing for many many years due to economic growth, BUT taking away our beaches and telling us to not fish in an area which basically sees no people traffic is nonsense! These beaches not only belong to bathers or tourist, but also to us fishermen which have been fishing here before tourist or many beach goers. You threaten to take away what we've always have had access to, which is not fair. Especially, without any reason or cause! I implore you to further look into not closing or restricting any of the coast which we fish everyday and put yourselves in our shoes! I'm sure you have had your fair share of endless emails stating to not overlook this issue. That is because you will affect MANY people and will have a negative affect on our fishing community. Once again, I ask that you carefully not overlook this issue.

A concerned fisherman,

Leo Estevez

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

is it at ft lauderdale city halL?

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

given the statutes are state wide statutes...... cant we go higher and shut this down and inform the governor that these ppl are trying to take away our culture and going against state statutes and undermining the laws of florida....?? can we do that and shut this down immediately cause if these statutes hold true then they cant even do this

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

jack replied to me two times here is the messages and mien as well

Jack Seiler 3:46 PM (21 hours ago)
Thanks for your input and support. Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T ...

Jack Seiler 6:04 AM (6 hours ago)
I do not support any additional restrictions on beach fishing. John P. "Jack"...

Jerry Barbieri <jerrybarbieri@gmail.com>
12:55 PM (1 minute ago)

to Jack
thank you. we appreciate that... and we are trying to get ppl to represent us at the meeting. i have to work so i can not be present sadly.... doesnt the state statute trump this whole motion and what she is pushing for... its ridiculous to even do that to our heritage and culture

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

kingofthe seas email wins my vote for the best. if there was a contest for funniest and best letters to complain for things, i think he would be a good contender for the prize.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Gentlemen,

Please do not allow fishing to be banned on Fort Lauderdale beaches!

Fishing should not be a privilege of the rich. Banning beach fishing in Fort Lauderdale would be extremely classist. While those who can afford to have boats, the rest of us rely on the beaches to do what we love and get our bait to do so. While now you can go fishing for less than $100, with fishing banned on the beaches, you will need to spend $1000's. At the very least local fisherman would have to drive 2 hours North to fish from the beaches, which is a trek to embark on at 5 in the morning, not to mention the cost of gas driving there and back 2 days out of the week. Believe me, many will start doing just that if this motion passes, but for everyone lucky enough to be able to do so, others will not be.

We have to be careful not to remove positive outlets our citizens have today. Removing these positive outlets leaves our citizens with only negative tradeoffs. It is becoming increasingly difficult, especially for young people, to find positive activities to participate in, that are not in front of a TV, at a computer, or in a bottle. In my case and others I know specifically, fishing has allowed me to stop using legal and illegal drugs a day at a time, and become a contributing member of society. I truly feel a part of the world while I am fishing. It is my spiritual connection to what is around me. It would be immoral and ill-advised to take the ability to fish away from so many people.

I am not sure if you have been fishing on Fort Lauderdale Beach, but there is great pompano fishing there. Firstly, these fish taste amazing! Secondly, it is a beautiful and awing experience to be able to catch pompano from land, sometimes three at a time. If you haven't experienced what I can only do a meager job of conveying and would like to witness the miracle, I will gladly take you with me. I can always use an extra set of hands. Season is approaching in the upcoming months. I have been graced with the opportunity to fish on boats around the country, but there is something very special about fishing from land that you would have to experience to understand.

I ask you again: Please do not allow fishing to be banned on Fort Lauderdale beaches!

BoatlessFisherman

So I will be there

Who else will be showing for this meeting on Fishing restriction north end of Fort Lauderdale Beach ??

I hope as many will show as possible

City Commission Conference Meeting
Agenda
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 1:30 PM
City Commission Conference Room
City Hall
100 North Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
www.fortlauderdale.gov
-Tommy A-

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

HJared wrote:kingofthe seas email wins my vote for the best. if there was a contest for funniest and best letters to complain for things, i think he would be a good contender for the prize.
2x
Hey lieutenant
I have your t shirts as award
You let me know anytime when ready

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:So I will be there

Who else will be showing for this meeting on Fishing restriction north end of Fort Lauderdale Beach ??

I hope as many will show as possible

City Commission Conference Meeting
Agenda
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 1:30 PM
City Commission Conference Room
City Hall
100 North Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
http://www.fortlauderdale.gov
Good luck to all that attend and hopefully common sense will prevail. Has CCA made a statement?

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”