Handi-capped fisherman

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Handi-capped fisherman

Post by Boruchlen »

Hi all,
Hope your fishing has been great.
I have a friend who is partially disabled and cannot use 1 hand. He has had this condition for 19 years already, and has learned VERY WELL to cope with 1 hand. As I am sure you can understand, he is not able to tie knots etc.
My recommendation is for him to use crimps instead, and that I would tie a whole bunch of 2.5 feet long leaders (30lb) for him with a circle hook (no. 1 on a few, and no. 2 on a few) on one end and a swivel/clasp combo on the other. He could then crimp his line with a sliding sinker up on the line, and a swivel in the loop of the crimp. And then place the clasp on to the swivel. What do you guys think. You have a whole heck of alot more experience than I do, and any advice would be appreciable, as my friend used to love fishing, and would very much like to get back into it.
My other recommendation is to take a piece of a pool noodle, cable-tie it to his cart, and pin in all the ready-hooked leaders for easy access. (I found this idea on the forum somewhere, and I can't remember where. Whoever had this idea, please let me know, as I cannot take credit for something that was not my idea).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If it would help for me to make 1 and post the picture, let me know.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Handi-capped fisherman

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have used a pool noodle or a piece of PVC with rubber bands to hold pretied leaders in the past . There is a tool out there that can be used to tie knots and I think it coud be done with one hand. I would suggest getting together with FOURWHEELANGLER aand see if he can help with some suggestions. I don't tie flies but see no reason why he couldn't use a fly vice clamped down to the pier to act as a second hand. Get with BOLO , LOCAL 66 , or one of the fly tyers and see what they think about this method.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Thanx fishnfool73.
I hope they see this posting, otherwise how do I get in touch with them?
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

That little bottom marked PM at the bottom of the screen on any of their other posts will let you send them a message.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Great. I'll try. Thank you very much.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Boruchlen, I decide to post this information on the forum instead of PM. I hope you do not mind. Maybe this thread will help other disable anglers to make it easier tying their leaders. If other members would like to add to this thread, please do so. First thing before we start, I would like to say it is very good hearted of you to do this for your friend.

Making pre-rigged leader is a great idea. It saves time and allows you to quickly get back to fishing. Here are a few things to consider when using crimps. Crimps will add additional expenses to your fishing, will your friend be able to operate the crimp tool, and because of fishing pressure will the fish be wary of it? I understand some species do not care and some do. It is a thought to consider. Another option is to build the leader for him without crimps. I would really like to know how versatile he is with one hand. Here are a few suggestions and we can take it from there. Remember, we can also change to fit his skill level. Nothing is etched in stone. Always be able to adapt to every situation that a raises.

Tools - Fishnfool mention a fly tying vise and it is a great idea. Get one with a c-clamp so it does not move when rigging. Also, make sure the vise jaws have hook slits so the hook does not move when pulling on the leader to cinch the knot. Back in my blue water fly tying and rigging days, I had a few Owners’ hook got stuck in my hands. Not fun at all. If you cannot afford a fly tying vise, then go to Home Depot and buy you a steel c-clamp, a steel rod, and a vise grip piers. Weld the rod to the c-clamp and then position vise so you are comfortable and weld the pier to the rod. Simple and probably will last for ever.

You will see in the pictures a few of my tools I use to do my rigging. It comes in handy. I must admit that trying to tying knots with one hand was very difficult. I am sure that with practice I can do it. The knots listed below are for your friend to learn. Therefore, keep in mind basic and simple was very important.

Surgeon Loop Knot. One of the most basic and overlook knots use today. Many function to this knot and when tied correctly it is very strong and reliable. For mono I use three loop thru. With braid I do five loop thru.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonslo ... m#Overhand

String the loop knot thru the wooden dowel. Then cinch down on knot pulling both main and tag end.

Great thing about the Surgeon Loop knot you can change your leaders quickly.

Or use it to attach hooks. Make sure the eye of the hook is closed tight or it can slip thru the eye.

Tying a clinch knot. Please keep in mind you can use whichever knot you please. Im just showing you these knots as an example.

Coiled up the finished leaders and stow it away. Bass Pro Shop sells a 3 ring binder that has heavy duty glad bags that you can stick your pre-rigged leaders away. You can tie many leaders for different situations.

Surgeon Knot. Another knot that is simple and able to join two different diameter mono or braid. For mono to mono, I use three loops thru. With braid to mono or braid-to-braid I use five loop or more. Feel free to experiment and use what you are comfortable.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjo ... dknots.com

Clinch knot. This is a classic knot. I use this knot on heavy mono. Just remember to use more turns for lighter lines. Anything from 50lb and up I uses 4 or 3 turns. As you go higher in pound test if becomes much more difficult to cinch down. I use my rigging tools for this situation. However, an improved clinch knot is a lot more reliable on lighter pound test. With your friend practicing, I do not see why he can't master these four knots.

The only difference between the two is the clinch knot stops at step 7 and the improved clinch continues on.
http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcl ... dknots.com

Last knot I recommend to is a uni-knot. Once you are able to achieve this knot then the uni-uni knot is also a great
addition.

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/in ... dknots.com

I hope this helps you and your friend. I'm pretty sure I forgot a bunch of stuff. But it is a start. If you have any questions please ask.
Last edited by bolo on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Great thread, I will move this to How to article area soon, I think there is a few more that can add some real life stuff to this thread, where is 4wheelangler, John has and is a true inspiration to me when I watch him fish and he does not seem to have any limits. Not trying to kiss your butt John just being real you really are a remarkable person and I am very glad to have met you and now have our friendship.

Anyways I am sure he can add some stuff here to help, so I will wait for him to chime in before i move this thread.

Again this is a great helpful thread, thanks to those who have helped to get this started.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

:cheers: bolo

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

:cheers: KUDOS Bolo.
AmAzing. Thank you very much. I will have my friend start on these knots ASAP, and the idea of a c-clamp, steel rod and and a vise grip is a great idea. I HAVE to try that out.
Once we get started, I will post back with results, and if possible photos.
I am sure that you realize that this could "revolutionize" fishing for disabled folk.
And no problem posting it here instead of PM'ing me. This is info that HAS to be out there.
Hope you had a great weekend, and Best Holiday Wishes to you and your family, and to everyone on this board (You 2 Tommy)

hklbery
Weekend Warrior

Post by hklbery »

Hello Boruchlen

this is my first post. I am a handicapped fisherwoman. I have problems with the uni snell knot so I use this type of snell knot for my hooks:

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingkn ... knots.html

I have a very generous fishing pal who gave me a rig board for tying dropper knots. I use a clamp to secure the end of the line or the hook when I need extra help. I use a crimping tool used by beaders to pull my knots tight because its difficult to exert steady or even pressure with my hands. My best knots are the aforementioned snell and palomar. I am learning to do a loop with overhand and half-hitch for lures. Palomar works best for me on spinnerbaits. I can do improved clinch knot but all those loops give me nightmares :nilly: :nilly:

I pre-tie my rigs and use plastic bags (Walmart craft/beading section) and place each rig in a CD wallet with plastic sleeves. I use a fishfinder rig with 10 to 50 lb mono (depends on pier, surf, ICW fishing). It is tied with palomar knots between two swivels. I slide a fishfinder onto the mono before tying the second swivel. I snell a circle or kahle hook to a fluorocarbon or lighter pound test mono and tie this to either of the swivels holding fishfinder. I can vary the weight of the pyramid according to type of water fished and the strength of the current. I prefer jig heads in river and creek and tie these directly to main line if using mono; if using braid, palomar jig to mono with tiny swivel to braid.

I like to use a snap swivel on main line so I can switch rigs and replace quickly if rigs are lost. Its frustrating to have to stop fishing because my hands cramp up after tying 3 or 4 knots. I usually fish 2 rods. One has carolina rig (egg sinker on main line) with snap swivel at end so I can switch out rigs. The other has just snap swivel at end of main line and I can snap on fishfinder, jigs, knocker, texas, dropper loops, etc. If your friend can find gemini links or fast links, they are easier to use than snap swivels. Just attach to end of main line and press leader onto link.

The uni knot is still a goal ... I just learned to tie my shoe laces a few months ago :roll: so I have the tackle shop attach mono leader to my reels spooled with braid. I have seen that fly tying tool and will probably get one. It will make tying hooks to leaders a lot easier. I recently graduated to tying tiny hooks directly to end of main line on my ultra light combos for freshwater fishing. Caught a few bluegills, lost a fat channel cat and working on my first bass. I cannot surf fish on cold days because I lose feeling in my feet and hands. I look for warm inshore spots in winter or go to the pier if its not too windy.

Hope this helps :)

P.S. Bolo, thanks for pointing out double surgeon loop. will try that to join lines :bounce: :lol: :bounce: cuz that uni just AINT happening yet :roll:
Last edited by hklbery on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

One thing I forgot to mention was the length of your leader. Depending on structure, tide condition, and speice of fish will determine on the length of your leader. What area do you guys fish at? What do speices of fish do you target?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Hklbry, welcome to the forum. I thought about using a clamp to help hold the hook to make it easy but still felt clumsy. You mention your friend build you a rigging board. That sound interesting and if you wouldn't mind could you share that with us? If you have pictures of the rigging board that would be great. I thank you for posting and sharing your experience.

PS. The Surgeon Loop is a tripe loop.

4wheelangler
KING MACKEREL

Post by 4wheelangler »

Sorry guys, been away from my pc since yesterday.

This thread ROCKS! :dude:

Welcome to the new Fisherfolks!

Bolo- my brother you outdid yourself!! Kudos! :thumleft: :thumright: I got a few great ideas from this post, not only from Bolo, but all of the suggestions. Bolo, I'm not clear on how to use those rings. eatpop

Tommy thanks for the kind words of praise. :king:

Now heres what I usually do:

I use 3-4 knots as my tie-everything knots. Occasionally, if I have time, I use others. I also try to tie leaders ahead of time and use loops where I can. Snap swivels have been difficult for me since I can't move my fingers. I will check out the Gemini Genie clips, they look promising.

My main knots are:
Uni, Spider twist, improved clinch, and Palomar

and the occasional are:
dropper loop, rapala, perfection loop.

most I know by memory but I have to look up the occasional ones. When I was in college I learned how to tie cherry stems into knots with only my tongue just to impress the girls. Eventually I got pretty good at tying knots with my mouth and now I tie most knots in my mouth barely using my hands. I kinda took it up as a sport and can tie chains and doubles with the cherry stems, LOL.

I have also tried the Tye-All, that Chris mentioned. It works pretty well but I don't always carry it with me. I think this would be a great tool for one handed tying!! My main issue has been and still is casting, both long distance and heavy weights. I'm still trying to figure out a better way. :reeling:

Here's a few links to a website that carries a bunch of mobility aids for various sports. You can also try to search the internet, there's tons of information out there. I'm sure you will find the one-hand casting aids, and rod holders very useful.

Here's the page with fishing equip:
http://www.accesstr.com/AMAZING/items.a ... mNav=False

Here's the Ty-all
http://www.accesstr.com/AMAZING/itemdes ... 01&eq=&Tp=

And the main page:
http://www.accesstr.com/AMAZING/index.asp

The very best thing you can do is have patience and be persistent - never give up. There's always a way to do what you love. Fell free to PM or say "Howdy" anytime you run into me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

I forsee a problem with using a flytying vise as an extra hand. Most C-clamp vises would be hard to attach to the piers IMO, especially with one hand. Also, the lower end (and less expensive) vises have poor quality jaws, and the hooks may pull easily. I have done this many times and hook myself many times when I first started tying on cabela's vises (horrible quality). Also, most inexpensive vises do not accommodate hooks larger than 4/0.

I tie on a Dyna-King Barracuda, which is a $350 vise. Unless your willing to shell out big $$$ for a quality vise, then I would forget that idea.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

hklbery
Weekend Warrior

Post by hklbery »

Bolo,

Here is a photo of the rig board. My friend used pen to mark diagram to tie double dropper rigs onto the board.

Hope this helps you.

4wheelangler:
I can't do that OTG cast for surf. I use shorter rigs with lighter and differently shaped weights to get more distance. My fishfinders are short like most people's drum rigs. My favorite rigs are knocker, texas, trout. Caught 3.5 blacktip on 50 mono knocker rig from pier with 3 oz egg sinker. I caught my first redfish in surf using 1.25 oz trout sinker between mainline and rig. In the surf I usually get drum or whiting. ICW is redfish, mangrove snapper, few drum and sheepshead. Freshwater is brand new ... about 1.5 weeks and I love NO weights. I get good distance in ICW using jigs and braided line. I only have 2 years experience, fishing is a form of therapy. So don't quote me on ANYTHING :lol:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Frogfish, when I mention the fly tying vise it was for home use to tie ore rigged leaders. When I used to tie for production I used to owned a Dyna-King Superme and their tube vise also.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

hklbery wrote:Bolo,

Here is a photo of the rig board. My friend used pen to mark diagram to tie double dropper rigs onto the board.

Hope this helps you.
Hi hklbry, I see the board, but don't understand how it works. Can you give me an explanation?

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

bolo wrote:Frogfish, when I mention the fly tying vise it was for home use to tie ore rigged leaders.
Ahhh, gotcha! :thumright:
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

The wooden dowel should act like additional fingers so he can make the loops on his knots. Once that is done he lifts it off the board and cinch the knot. The arrows shows the path he needs to follow. Very nice design. We need to fab something lighter and smaller to allow people to carry it with them.

hklbery
Weekend Warrior

Post by hklbery »

bolo wrote:The wooden dowel should act like additional fingers so he can make the loops on his knots. Once that is done he lifts it off the board and cinch the knot. The arrows shows the path he needs to follow. Very nice design. We need to fab something lighter and smaller to allow people to carry it with them.
Bolo,
thanks for your great explanation of the rig board. I love it because the dowels can hold the loops & spool. I get a flat surface to work on because I don't have a workbench. The clamp helps me hold onto line or hook. The diagram is crucial because I have cognitive issues. I am very grateful to my friend who made the board. You have also been generous and kind beyond words.

happy holidays to you and yours,

Brenda

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

bolo wrote:One thing I forgot to mention was the length of your leader. Depending on structure, tide condition, and speice of fish will determine on the length of your leader. What area do you guys fish at? What do speices of fish do you target?
Most of his fishing down in Florida is off piers, fishing for snapper, pompano, anyhting that doesn't require fast jigging action.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Whatever holiday you observe: have a happy hanu-kwan-mas) :drunk: :dwarf: :biglaugh: :patriot: :jester: :devil: :alien:

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

bolo wrote:I would really like to know how versatile he is with one hand. Here are a few suggestions and we can take it from there. Remember, we can also change to fit his skill level. Nothing is etched in stone. Always be able to adapt to every situation that a raises.
He is very versatile with his 1 hand, in fact, there are things that he can do with 1 hand that I have difficulty with 2. He is totally self-reliant, lives by himself (with an adorable miniature pug). At the same time, there are certain things like tying some knots, that just cannot be done with 1 hand without some sort of aid. We will try and practice some of the knots that you showed, and I will make a board for the dropper loops like Brenda's.
Do you, or does anyone else know where to get Gemini Genie clips from? They look very interesting.
Thanks to all for the great ideas and advice.

And Happy Holidays to all!!! (Happy Hanu-Kwan-Mas)

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

That knot board kicks ass everytime I look at it.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

Do you want me to make you 1 and mail it you when I make the one for my friend?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Im good. I rather it goes to someone who needs it more than I do. Thank you for asking.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

No problem, I'll make an extra, and if you know someone that needs 1, just let me know.

LondonFisherman
Fisher

Post by LondonFisherman »

I know this thread was started last month but I couldn't help suggesting ready-made rigs.

The following is a supplier based in the UK but there must be similar enterprising setups in the US.

Buying a ready-made rig then only leaves the connection of the rig to the main line which would seem to be much less of a daunting task.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RIG-SHOP-BY-ART-TACKLE-RIGS

Tight lines

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

I have basically finished the board and jigs I set up for my handi-capped fisher friend, and am now trying to get him to do some quick video clips, of tying a number of different knots with it. I will re-post with the info, once completed. I couldn't have done this without your help, and the other members of the board who so graciously gave of their time, experience and knowledge (I used experience and knowledge seperately, as not all peoples experience comes from knowledge, and not all peoples knowledge comes from experience :lol: ).

hklbery
Weekend Warrior

Post by hklbery »

LondonFisherman wrote:I know this thread was started last month but I couldn't help suggesting ready-made rigs.

The following is a supplier based in the UK but there must be similar enterprising setups in the US.

Buying a ready-made rig then only leaves the connection of the rig to the main line which would seem to be much less of a daunting task.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RIG-SHOP-BY-ART-TACKLE-RIGS

Tight lines
London Fisherman,
the rigs with clip downs look great for surf fishing to cast long distances without losing bait on impact. thanks for your post. All of those rigs can easily be attached to main line terminated with gemini clip or snap swivel.

Here is a link to US company with lots of porgy rigs that could be be attached below egg sinker at end of main line to create fishfinder or carolina rigs: http://www.terminaltackleco.com/prod_detail_list/375

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”