Googan Report

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Googan Report

Post by gruntking »

fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

I had a guy show up on pompano pier and set his stuff within 3 feet of mine,, He baits his line and casts as hard as he could,,, no much line on his reel and I guess he never tied it to the spool, but he launches his weight with all his line,,, I couldnt help but chuckle so he picks up his stuff and leaves,,,, now thats a googan

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

diggin4grouper wrote:
just in time wrote:All these people calling eachother googans..I would love to see them splice wire to mono..tie a bimini..and throw a 14 FOOT Castnet..
Before yellin out GOOG.. :scratch: :happyfisherman:
mono to wire thats what crimps and swivels are for

and bimini twist are for people that think they can fish and have the time to waste tying them ,

and any one can throw a cast net , weather its done correctly is a different story
Gotta say Dave, I watched Rick/xpierat tie a perfect bimini yesterday at BP quicker than I can tie a clinch. Course he's probably been tieing em since rope was invented. :mrgreen:

(Sorry Rick, had to :jester: )
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

snookfishin239 wrote:was at the naples pier and the pier was PACKED..I mean PACKED!!!...There were googans everywhere..1 out of every 10 was fishing...But then I got to the end and saw these two idiots..So he was sabiki-ing bait and then just casting it out as hard as he could...on the sabiki!!! and not only did he cast it out..he crossed like my line and four others :mad: ...he didnt leave until like 11 at night...what a pain in the @$$..He was taking pictures of every catfish he caught
that is frustrating but hilarious at the same time!! seen things similar like that happen every now and then.
goodolmikey wrote:I had a guy show up on pompano pier and set his stuff within 3 feet of mine,, He baits his line and casts as hard as he could,,, no much line on his reel and I guess he never tied it to the spool, but he launches his weight with all his line,,, I couldnt help but chuckle so he picks up his stuff and leaves,,,, now thats a googan
that is absolutely hilarious!! I remember seeing this googan on pompano pier trying to get his snagged rig off the bottom by not grabbing the spool and walking back, but by grabbing the rod only 2 guides down from the top guide and pulling harder than a semi! obviously all that extreme pressure on the sensitive tip shattered the top third of his rod while he stood there all confused wondering how that happened!
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

A lady at Juno the other day decided to put 2 jumbo live pilchards on her chicken rig on a rental rod and toss it out, she ended up with a double header of blue runners that took her up and down the pier for a while. I had to be nice to her because she gave them to me for snook bait, lol.

Liam Idrovo
Fisher

Post by Liam Idrovo »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:A lady at Juno the other day decided to put 2 jumbo live pilchards on her chicken rig on a rental rod and toss it out, she ended up with a double header of blue runners that took her up and down the pier for a while. I had to be nice to her because she gave them to me for snook bait, lol.

I didn't know blue runners could be used for snook bait.

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

A pier is the last place one would ever see me fishing, I don't like fishing that high in the air. I see enough people on the jettie to keep me off when it gets crowded.
Rotting bait and fish on the deck, bringing those insects in.
Bright lanterns in the dark.
Half a dozen rods spread out so there is no casting room.
Throwing the trash on the ground instead of using the waste receptacle.
Tossing a cast net right in front of where you are fishing, or dropping a sabiki.
The list goes on..............is that what's referred to as a Googan?

In all fairness I know there are responsible anglers out there, I've met some, but for the most part, it ain't for me.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

A couple weeks ago I went surf fishing for the first time in Miami near the gov. cut. Brought my 12' net to try and catch pilchards or mullet if I could find any. Well I did, and caught more than I could bargain for. I could hardly drag it onto the beach and some passerby stopped to help me untangle the net. It took about a half hour to get the 100 mullet out, somehow they all survived. After all that I didn't even catch anything... So I guess that makes me a qualifier for this years Googan . lol

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:A couple weeks ago I went surf fishing for the first time in Miami near the gov. cut. Brought my 12' net to try and catch pilchards or mullet if I could find any. Well I did, and caught more than I could bargain for. I could hardly drag it onto the beach and some passerby stopped to help me untangle the net. It took about a half hour to get the 100 mullet out, somehow they all survived. After all that I didn't even catch anything... So I guess that makes me a qualifier for this years Googan . lol
Don't feel bad about it, happened to me couple times and once about 8 years ago when I was first throwing a cast net, I had cast netted a school of pilchards so big that I felt I was pulling the plug on the ocean and instead of this passerby helping me he just watched and demanded me to throw most of the pilchards back arguing that I didn't need that many, like seriously?!?!?! What a douche!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

went over to some friends last night for a cook out up in layton. nice spot on a clear water canal. We brought some lobsters to go with the stone crab claws and shrimp. During the meal this girl natie says , so these are some of the mini lobsters caught from this week?
After several jokes and laughter we were like natie mini refers to the length of the season not a type of lobster! GOOGAN

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

:uplol: LOL John..Priceless! :mrgreen:

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I was fishing the other night with a buddy and some drunk stumbled over to us and started talking about fishing with us. After a little while we got on the subject of tarpon and Boca Grande Pass. The guy said he used to fish there and would live-line tarpon for 600 lb hammerheads... Then my buddy hooks a 15-20lb snook and the guy runs down the rocks to land it for him. Then the drunk takes his phone out and begs us to take a pic of him holding the fish (so he can pass it off as his own catch). Needless to say he didn't catch anything other than a mean buzz...

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Ok Rare, I'll see your grenade video and raise you an RPG.
At least the guys in this video didn't get skunked.
Catfish with a hint of gun powder, yummy!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Wow, no googan reports lately. People must be reading this forum and learning from their mistakes. I saw 2 interesting things at Haulover inlet today and figured I'd share. First there was a guy fishing a cuda tube. He foul hooked a small needlefish, reeled it in, then rehooked it onto the tube and casted it back out. He looked at me with a grin and I just shook my head. When the needlefish got off he was very disappointed. I almost gave him a sympathy mullet. Second was a guy live lining little pieces of sea grass (sargasso weed I think?). Is this real bait? I kept an eye on him to see if he caught anything but he didn't. Maybe he was trying to target the elusive "vegan snapper"? I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I had live mullet and nothing even sneezed at my bait. Oh well. Tight lines. Googan out.

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote: When the needlefish got off he was very disappointed.
Cuda's love to eat needlefish. Probably easier to throw out a live bait on the rig he already had then re-rigging just to put out a needlefish. Now that sargassum flat lining stuff....never heard that one before.
Hold Fast

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

Swordslayer71 wrote:
Poseidon10/31 wrote: When the needlefish got off he was very disappointed.
Cuda's love to eat needlefish. Probably easier to throw out a live bait on the rig he already had then re-rigging just to put out a needlefish.
Quite true.
I had live mullet and nothing even sneezed at my bait. Oh well.
Getting skunked using a live mullet during the hottest fishing time of the year.....Pretty a hard to be critical of some else.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Sirsnookalot wrote: Getting skunked using a live mullet during the hottest fishing time of the year.....Pretty a hard to be critical of some else.

:stupid:
Ha. I had already caught 2 snook on artificials before spending a half hour drifting those mullet. I guess you catch a fish on every bait???

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:
Sirsnookalot wrote: Getting skunked using a live mullet during the hottest fishing time of the year.....Pretty a hard to be critical of some else.

:stupid:
Ha. I had already caught 2 snook on artificials before spending a half hour drifting those mullet. I guess you catch a fish on every bait???
Of course you did............and you guessed right.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Sirsnookalot wrote: Of course you did............and you guessed right.
:uplol:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Had an interesting encounter the other day, i pulled up to a crabbing location of mine awhile ago to check on things, i saw 3 ghetto looking folks with a mouth full of gold teeth and cane poles!! I asked them how the fishing was and they told me they were having a great day to check their bucket, well i was not expecting what i saw, it was full of checkered puffers!!!!! Told them their poisonous get rid of them and one of them told me "dont chu worry man!" Goodness me, havent seen them since at my spot :shock:

cocoaken
Fisher

Post by cocoaken »

I fish canaveral natonal seachore next to playlinda beach. Nothing is funner than a naked googan, warning when they start to reach into their bucket turn your head quickly. No picture needed

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

Being new around this forum I was really surprised to see the googan thread. I can't believe that word it is still used today. I first heard it back in the 70's, hanging around the head boats and charter boats at Castaways and Haulover. Now ya got me wondering how long that term has been around ... probably as long as googans.

cudaking305
Old Salt

Post by cudaking305 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Wow, no googan reports lately. People must be reading this forum and learning from their mistakes. I saw 2 interesting things at Haulover inlet today and figured I'd share. First there was a guy fishing a cuda tube. He foul hooked a small needlefish, reeled it in, then rehooked it onto the tube and casted it back out. He looked at me with a grin and I just shook my head. When the needlefish got off he was very disappointed. I almost gave him a sympathy mullet. Second was a guy live lining little pieces of sea grass (sargasso weed I think?). Is this real bait? I kept an eye on him to see if he caught anything but he didn't. Maybe he was trying to target the elusive "vegan snapper"? I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I had live mullet and nothing even sneezed at my bait. Oh well. Tight lines. Googan out.

I actually know who you are talking about when using the seaweed. The parrotfish there eat the little orbs off the seaweed. So if I'm not mistaking its a big black dude. He wraps seaweed around a treb and lets it drift in the current where he sees the parrotfish coming up and when the parrotfish gets close and starts eating the seaweed 90% of the time the treb gets them. When me and my friends are bored out there we have done this a couple times.
Fishing all day everyday

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

After some research I found out about the parrot fish. Guess that makes me the googan! Lol hence my signature...

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I gotta report myself on this one haha made a goofy mistake while fly fishing for peacock bass yesterday,I saw a nice pea around 3-4lbs so I cast my fly at him however I walked slightly forward and had my left foot over the line, I was not aware though I had stepped on it, well he struck the fly so hard that when he ran, the line under my foot went out causing me to lose my balance and fall backwards hahaha never had a fish knock me over before

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

nice ... but where did you say that was again? :silent:

lucky
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lucky »

I was fishing a local pier the other day where they'd just installed a brand new stainless steel fish cleaning table. Some guy turned up and thought it was a barbecue.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

lucky wrote:I was fishing a local pier the other day where they'd just installed a brand new stainless steel fish cleaning table. Some guy turned up and thought it was a barbecue.
Are you kidding me? Haha wow

lucky
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lucky »

chris21 wrote:
lucky wrote:I was fishing a local pier the other day where they'd just installed a brand new stainless steel fish cleaning table. Some guy turned up and thought it was a barbecue.
Are you kidding me? Haha wow
Sadly I'm not. I lost quite a lot of hope for the future of humanity when he said it.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”