Good fillet knife

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Good fillet knife

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Ok, so im extremely happy with my 9"bubba blade knife which i use to "one and done"fillet snappers and whatnot off the bone. But, i need a really good one that i can fillet off the skin with. The bubba does it, but i think the blade is just a tad to thick for doing so..any suggestions?????? Thanks..i know of forschner, but thats higher end stuff, unless you know where i can get em cheaper..

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: Good fillet knife

Post by Miami_Chris »

Dexter russel off amazon. Cheap, easy to sharpen, and they stay sharp. A fishermans best friend.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Thanks guys...ive heard of the dexter russell, but wasnt sure of its quality

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

i was thinkin botu posting for same reason... i have a ton of knives and my fave fillet well hell i probably just need a quality sharpener i had my uncles electric but it messed up my blade some .. i threw it away.... any suggestions on sharpening

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Forschner compared to them bubba blades are cheaper? What is your price break breaking point?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Jerry, check with Pat. Sometime back he bought one of them easy style shaper. See if you like. There a few of them on the market like his....

1 looked promising it was a start up see if I can recall later on the .name.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

the accusharp sharpeners work pretty well for my purposes they are easy and cheap (just like my dates). Forschner curved blade boning knife is my favorite.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Nilson, yea, i paid like 60 for that damn bubba, but hell, it hasnt let me down and i havent even sharpened it yet! I dont mind throwing out 40 bucks, since i throw more than that on other crap...lol

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Rare wrote:Jerry, check with Pat. Sometime back he bought one of them easy style shaper. See if you like. There a few of them on the market like his....

1 looked promising it was a start up see if I can recall later on the .name.
I have an "Edge Pro" By Apex. Lansky also makes a good system. Good knives need a good sharpener. That said, be careful to match Stone movements and number on both sides of the blade. Some of my larger knives take 4 full passes to make one side of the edge. It's easy to loose
Track over between 5 and 7 stones. Both systems let you flip blade sides quickly by just turning the knife over. And both systems will sharpen most knives to a better than factory edge. There's a few others out there that work pretty well. Not a fan of power sharpeners. They work fine for the most part, just a
Personal preference. Polished edge's cut better, with less effort.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

cool will investigate over the weekend... :) i leave town again tomorrow.. im goign to anglins tonight.... see if anything is happening. bout to go get some baits right now

randrunner
Fisher

Post by randrunner »

Can't go wrong with the VG10 flex fillet knives from outrigger outdoors. They come with a sheath that latches onto your belt or pants and has a notch for cutting fishing line. Very good quality knife.

You can find the vg 10 fillet knife here: https://outriggeroutdoors.com/collectio ... llet-knife

I have also used bubba blade and they have a similar comfort fit to the VG10 knives, but I was not impressed with the blade. It does not hold an edge as well and it seems to rust pretty quickly with saltwater exposure. Still a good knife and very comfortable, but just a little higher maintenance.

If you're looking to get a cheap knife, I've heard kastking from amazon works well for what it costs but honestly the vg 10 knife isn't much more and will hold an edge far better.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I'm still liking my Bubba blades... several years old and still going sharp and strong... they are so good the wife confiscated one for use in the kitchen.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”