favorite braided line

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

favorite braided line

Post by clarence2society »

Looking to go with 65 or 80 on my thunnus 16000f for dropping in 100 plus water..... there is so much braid out there my head is spinning.... im looking for bang for the buck and of course reliability and performance....

looking to see what you all think about it brands colors rigs.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: favorite braided line

Post by fishnfool73 »

Jerry Brown white no one sells it locally but easy to get online. Never had a wind knot is over tests by a mile and holds knots well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Ive pretty much been using Daiwa j-braid on everything. It's hands down the best bang for your buck out right now. I recently just got 1500 meters of 65lb for 82 bucks off amazon.They also have 300 meter spools for 20 bucks. It's hard to beat.

If I didn't care about price, it would be sufix 832 or spiderwire invisibraid.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Hated suffix 832 stiff bulky and a pain to tie knots with. I have some on a reel I will give you if you just take it off. Invisibraid i got a ton of wind knots casting with spinner. Never tried Jbraid
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Down in the depths, 100 plus, water color really won't matter.....
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Post by full-cooler »

I like momoi diamond a lot and here brown as well ... but for a fraction of the cost I've caught a lot of good fish the last 2 years with j braid. I would recommend any of those three but if money isn't an issue I'd get 100lb JBHC

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Kastking your not gonna find cheaper and ive been using with zero issues
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Started with power pro like many.

Switched to daiwa metered and was ok I guess. Ended up with Cortland that brownish one and never looked back.

Had no issued with it what so ever and turned out to take tons of stress. Then again that was mostly jigging.

For raps and stuff I used some spiderwire stuff. Some hybrid thing. Line felt like waxed was white but do not remember the exact name. That stuff was bada$$ and was a 10 test
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

fishnfool73 wrote:Hated suffix 832 stiff bulky and a pain to tie knots with. I have some on a reel I will give you if you just take it off. Invisibraid i got a ton of wind knots casting with spinner. Never tried Jbraid
My buddy hates the 832 as well, but I love the stuff. It's crazy strong. Check out this link, it's a dude who tests all different types of braids actual breaking strengths. It's mostly lighter braids, and nothing is exact, but it's a good gauge to see which braids over test, and by how much.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rt7cbdccq2o ... .xlsx?dl=0

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

fishnfool73 wrote:Jerry Brown white no one sells it locally but easy to get online. Never had a wind knot is over tests by a mile and holds knots well.
:dude: FF is right!! I switched all my spinners to it several years ago and IMO, Jerry Brown is well worth the money!! I have no desire to even try anything else since I switched!! No wind knots, holds knots well, and the most flexible braid I've ever used!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

10lb / 20lb stuff power pro/ cortland

Anything above that is Jerry Brown, cortland, momoi diamond braid. I will jump to Izorline whenever i ordered out west.

Miami chris, strange that both lines class just different color. The green takes 6lb more lb before it breaks. As all you guys know that these numbers are great but dont take account the rod in action and other various things when out there.

J erry Brown solid(blue) 50 52.20 lb 31.3 mg 1.67 0.0154 inG32 0.392 mm 66.93% 2.20
Jerry Brown solid(green) 50 58.20 lb 30.5 mg 1.91 0.0152 in 0.387 mm 76.58% 2.51

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Miami_Chris wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Hated suffix 832 stiff bulky and a pain to tie knots with. I have some on a reel I will give you if you just take it off. Invisibraid i got a ton of wind knots casting with spinner. Never tried Jbraid
My buddy hates the 832 as well, but I love the stuff. It's crazy strong. Check out this link, it's a dude who tests all different types of braids actual breaking strengths. It's mostly lighter braids, and nothing is exact, but it's a good gauge to see which braids over test, and by how much

Let me know if you want the 50 lb I have on my Sustain 10k. All yours

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i have a spool in my bag with jerry brown white 65 forever compliments of Pat. i was thinkin of spooling it on the thunnus but im not sure how many yards are left... i use it and i know this is ridiculous on my sargus 6000 and nickelite star rod lol. has caused zero issues and i think it is good stuff... i can cast like a mofo... heavy for that light setup but hey..... or hell i could take that off there and use the rest of spool on the thunnus and buy some 30 lb for the lighter reel instead....

the stuff aint cheap thats for certain... i was just funny bout white being too visible.... maybe do a mono 50lb top of 15 yards ? ive read of ppl doing this. so lead doesnt wear away braid

good input.. i trust you guys and experience with it over readin page after page.....

now to find a damn rod for that big ass reel.... lol.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I've caught big yellowfin tuna on white JB with a 5 ft Fluro top shot. If it isn't stopping them from hitting it won't cause much else to spook.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Sufix 832 is my favorite by far, although I've heard many great things about jerry brown but I still haven't tried it. I've tried powerpro, spiderwire, bps, and a few others and so far I'm most satisfied with the sufix in the 20-40lb range.

Fishnfool73, I would gladly take that 50lb off your sustain, I was actually just looking for some

fishnfool73 wrote:
Miami_Chris wrote:
My buddy hates the 832 as well, but I love the stuff. It's crazy strong. Check out this link, it's a dude who tests all different types of braids actual breaking strengths. It's mostly lighter braids, and nothing is exact, but it's a good gauge to see which braids over test, and by how much

Let me know if you want the 50 lb I have on my Sustain 10k. All yours

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Jerry Brown or Izorline. Same on my windons with izorline fluorocarbon. West coast, florida keys, always the same. Watched those lines take hours of abuse on big (200+) fish no problem. I serve everything so I can't attest to knots in anything above 60 pound test. On the lighter line, knots lay and hold very well. West coast long range boats use both Brown and Izorline extensively because its reliable. All the Rooster and Excell boat reels are spooled with one or the other. They do get some of it free but both boats buy the majority of the line they use. And theyhave it on board so they can line you up any time you need it.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i still have the Jb you gave me.... thinkin bout putting that on my thunnus but im not sure how much is on that spool still. :) it has worked great on the other reel and yes a beating it has taken

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I read long long ago about this and forgot. Just some info for ya
With VERY FEW exceptions, USA firms representing braid/Spectra products have them made by one factory here. Power Pro, ""JB"", Izor...they do not actually produce their own products, they resell them. There can be specific differences in their products, but they all come from the same place. That's the reality.
If im not mistake its ""western filament"" the same guys that make Tuf-line.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/CSHL-TT-Braid.htm

charkbiat doesnt have JB or cortland braid anymore. Looks like this Toro Tamer is doing very well http://www.charkbait.com/cs/CSHL-TT-Braid.htm

bnz
Fisher

Post by bnz »

If you want actual brad diameters and breaking strength go to paulusjustfishing.com . He will actual test the lines himself and you'll be surprised to find out how far off manufacturers are from their stated specs. I quit buying braid based on stated test and now buy according to actual diameter and breaking strength.

Izorline consistently tests high breaking strength for thin diameter but it is expensive. JB, Tuf-line, and daiwa boat braid are the lines I use. I recently bought a spool of seaguar threadlock hollow and am impressed with how easy it is to work with. It is supposed to have good breaking strength for its diameter too (50 lb supposedly tests at 90 lb BS). The green should still be on sale.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Seagar is great line, but yeah, it's expensive. The post about braid being made in the same factory is correct. It is made in the same machines but that about the rest not thing they have in common. Everyone has their own specs for thread material, weave or twist, hollow or solid core, and the type of nylon, Dacron, polypor, whatever, is sourced differently. Heavy fish line has to be smooth to the point it's slick when wet. Otherwise it'll cut itself on the reel. Some lines like power pro just don't hold up. Had 3 people using it 2 years ago at the bank. By the end of the second day they all respelled with Igor or brown. Not sure which. But that's when they stated landing fish. FF73 will tell you a 150 to 250 pound tuna can drag you around the boat for a couple hours. Takes a high end line to hold up to that. Nothing I've ever caught fights as long and hard as a big Yellow fin. You gotta be a complete junky to spend the kind of money these trips cost. I just paid for trip #6. I did however blame Chris.
Hey Jerry, bring it by, we'll strip off some and I'll weave to the good and fill it up. A weave is stronger than the line and has no profile to catch your rod eyes. So ya know, old Ben Kita from San Diego has at least a few of my weaves on his gear. He landed a 300+ super cow.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”