How do I change my reel knob?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
grouperking
Old Salt

How do I change my reel knob?

Post by grouperking »

Hey guys,
I've been doing alot of research around lately, seeing if I can change the small part of the reel handle that you actually hold. It has a plastic cover that, after lots of use, partly melted away and its becoming extremely uncomfortable to fish with. I looked everywhere but only saw articles and videos that included unscrewing a screw inside the reel knob. But when I opened my reel knob there was nothing to unscrew so I have no idea how to chnage it.I have a Shimano saros 4000f but I've only seen the unscrewing thing done with the Stradic and Curado. There was one video where someone sawed the knob off, the dilled in with a dril bit, pushed the rest of the old knob out and refitted it with a EVA Knob. I'm going to keep looking but any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks my doods :thumleft:

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: How do I change my reel knob?

Post by Miami_Chris »

Need to drill out the rivet and replace it with a screw from the new handle. I’ve done it on a couple reels. The Eva knobs are the easiest to install. The Chinese jigging knobs are a little tricky and have bearings and shims. It’s easy, just make sure you use the right size drill bit for the new handle. Also make sure to use some loctite or it will loosen up on you at the worst possible moment.

grouperking
Old Salt

Re: How do I change my reel knob?

Post by grouperking »

Miami_Chris wrote:Need to drill out the rivet and replace it with a screw from the new handle. I’ve done it on a couple reels. The Eva knobs are the easiest to install. The Chinese jigging knobs are a little tricky and have bearings and shims. It’s easy, just make sure you use the right size drill bit for the new handle. Also make sure to use some loctite or it will loosen up on you at the worst possible moment.
Thanks for the input, will do.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”