whats in your tackle box ?

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
bolo
USER BANNED

Re: whats in your tackle box ?

Post by bolo »

Jeff, that is the most organized shelf I've ever seen. Most of us has our tackle and boxes everywhere. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I don't know how many times I'd purchase stuff that I thought I didn't have. Just keep on wasting money. That is a great idea of keeping a inventory log.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Piobair
Fisher

Post by Piobair »

I just replaced my old toolbox with a spiffy soft-side tackle box, mostly because of the pockets; they're about the same size as the zip-loc baggies I keep my rigs in (instead of my old method: "A box for everything, and everything in the (bottom of the) box").

Inside: two boxes; one of artificials (mostly spoons, jigs, and Silly-Willy's); the other hooks, swivels, beads, etc.
Home-made dehooker, Lip Grip, law stick, rigged popping floats, whetstone, fillet knife.
Front right pocket: home-made Pomp rigs. Pocket inside pocket: surf sinkers.
Front left pocket: home-made fish finders, cannonballs, drop-backs. Pocket inside pocket: bay sinkers.
Left pocket: Gulp baits, and home-made salted shrimp.
Right pocket: spools of #20 and #50 mono. Pocket on right pocket: needle-nose pliers and jackknife.
Back pocket: the current permutation of the FL fishing regs in a plastic bag, including a simplified printout of those species of most interest to me, in large "no bifocals needed" type.

Generally, this can be found on an old steel hand truck with big, fat, pneumatic tires and a milk crate with a rack of PVC-pipe rod holders on the front, an old cooler containing two 2-liter frozen water bottles (and perhaps an adult beverage or three), two plastic buckets (one holding an 8' cast net), 3 sand spikes, and a water bottle.

Big Mac
Fisher

Post by Big Mac »

Nature Boy wrote:ok i think its a good idea to make this thread a sticky so that fellow fisherman and women might get ideas of what they might added to thier tackle box. Give specifics like hook sizes, line sizes, leader sizes, sinkers, jig heads, flash light.... etc you know how it goes make up a list and provide a note for something you think is specially needed but rare to be found in tackle boxes.
lets get the thread going

yea man
Code Brown

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i have a :?: what will be the best tackle box to carry a lot of lead and tackle my tackleboxes dont last

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

permitchaser wrote:i have a :?: what will be the best tackle box to carry a lot of lead and tackle my tackleboxes dont last
If you carry a lot of lead, those plastic boxes will break and so will the hinges on most regular tackle boxes. I would reccomend a used ammo box, you can get one at a military surplus store for about $10, will hold a lot of weight with no problem. If you are keeping it on the boat, a milk crate with coffee cans in it to sort the weight by size works well.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
permitchaser wrote:i have a :?: what will be the best tackle box to carry a lot of lead and tackle my tackleboxes dont last
If you carry a lot of lead, those plastic boxes will break and so will the hinges on most regular tackle boxes. I would reccomend a used ammo box, you can get one at a military surplus store for about $10, will hold a lot of weight with no problem. If you are keeping it on the boat, a milk crate with coffee cans in it to sort the weight by size works well.
lol i have it bought it at notherns i have an orange another green thanks

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

You beat me to essentially the same question. With Pyramid, bank, egg, spunik, etc. sinkers and all the different sizes, I have accumulated a lot of lead. Anyone have a box they like that holds up? Not looking to necessarily carry it everywhere I go but leave it in my van and take what I need out of it as conditions dictate.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

the best thing is what PP said in the previous comments those boxes take punishment i dont put lead in my tackle box anymore the handle cant take it

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

This one seems to hold up pretty well for heavy loads http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... ogId=10053
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

crashmister wrote:This one seems to hold up pretty well for heavy loads http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... ogId=10053
pat those locks will get rust on the first trip :D unless they are stainless

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Raul; My son has had 2 of these on the ProDiver for 6 or 7 years now and even the hinges are clean and rust free. He sprayed the latches and the hinges with silicone when he first got them. But has not touched them since. At 20.00 a pop there pretty much disposable. What ever they are made of it's tougher than plastic.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

I picked up one of these at Lowe's today http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... +Organizer

Cost me just under $17 with tax. You can pull out and move around each of the (10) yellow trays/boxes. Pretty deep compartments. Stanley makes another one with smaller compartments but Lowe's didn't have that one.

I can easily put several 8oz. Sputnik weights (the ones with the wires) in one of the bigger compartments. I'll try and snap a photo of mine, open, with lead in it and post later.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

MMC; I likt the way the lid has slots to support the separator walls. That is the problem I have had with that style of box. The weights knock the dividers loose and your tacle ends up in one big mess. Let us know how it works for you.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

crashmister wrote:MMC; I likt the way the lid has slots to support the separator walls. That is the problem I have had with that style of box. The weights knock the dividers loose and your tacle ends up in one big mess. Let us know how it works for you.
Hi Crash,

The cool thing is, there are no dividers to pull loose, there individual 5 sided molded boxes (4 sides and a bottom). You can pull them out, slide them around, rearrange them. I put the two biggest boxes/compartments toward the bottom so the biggest heaviest weights are at the bottom when I carry it. This thing will hold a lot of lead so I'll primarily just leave it in my truck and pull out what I need, put the leads in my regular tackle box as conditions dictate.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

mmcauliffe wrote:
I picked up one of these at Lowe's today http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... +Organizer

be carefull with that box make sure its close when you grab it or your tackle will go to floor.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Here is a photo of the box I bought today.
lead box 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

looks nice i hope it works

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

permitchaser wrote:looks nice i hope it works
Yea, we'll see. You bring up a good point about making sure the lid is latched properly. I may drill a hole near the handle so I can put a bolt snap (clip) through it as an added measure. Plenty of room for 3/8" or 1/2" hole.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

mmcauliffe wrote:
crashmister wrote:MMC; I likt the way the lid has slots to support the separator walls. That is the problem I have had with that style of box. The weights knock the dividers loose and your tacle ends up in one big mess. Let us know how it works for you.
Hi Crash,

The cool thing is, there are no dividers to pull loose, there individual 5 sided molded boxes (4 sides and a bottom). You can pull them out, slide them around, rearrange them. I put the two biggest boxes/compartments toward the bottom so the biggest heaviest weights are at the bottom when I carry it. This thing will hold a lot of lead so I'll primarily just leave it in my truck and pull out what I need, put the leads in my regular tackle box as conditions dictate.
Even better :cheers:

scuro
Weekend Warrior

Post by scuro »

IMGP0045.jpg
These are my "down south" tackle boxes. There are six smaller boxes and then the larger box on the lower left. The larger box is really more storage although occasionally I take it along. I will be doing most my fishing from a kayak, walking the flats, or bridge fishing. Whatever is on I will focus on. That may take a day or two and after that I usually I only end up using just a box or two for the rest of the week. You never know what is going to work. Often I have to lug my tackle with me on foot or my small kayak, so normally I only take two boxes with me which fit in my vest pockets. The boxes are separated into types of fishing...ie top water or trolling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anything to bend the rod.

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Re:

Post by Jwright1 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:.25 an ounce? Your paying too much...

WISH TO H**L someone could call .25/ounce "high" today. Every time I go to look at some new jigs, I end up grabbing some lead and then..BOOM, budget cuts

I rock simple tackle, buy as I go. PLus, I've tried riding that Karma train and GIVE GIVE and GIVE SOME MORE.

Waiting for that packed tackle box to show up at my door one day!
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Wife got me a soft bag for xmas. 4 cases inside. ive divided one for weight one for lures, one for assorment of hooks and the last for swivels and add ons. bags is great when carrying alot of gear. throw it on my shoulder and go. its also easy to pick up an xtra case and make it a travel case for when im in the canoe
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

gdm phil wrote:Wife got me a soft bag for xmas. 4 cases inside. ive divided one for weight one for lures, one for assorment of hooks and the last for swivels and add ons. bags is great when carrying alot of gear. throw it on my shoulder and go. its also easy to pick up an xtra case and make it a travel case for when im in the canoe
BassPro has a back pack tackle box on sale right now for 19.94 with boxes it's reg. 40.00. I bought one last Sat. It's a friggin steal. It comes with 3 boxes and has room for 4 large boxes in the top half. Not to mention all the pockets. They also have the Browning long nosed fishing pliers with sheath and lanyard for 24.94 reg 49.99. Sale goes until the 14th.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Re:

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Jwright1 wrote:

WISH TO H**L someone could call .25/ounce "high" today. Every time I go to look at some new jigs, I end up grabbing some lead and then..BOOM, budget cuts

I rock simple tackle, buy as I go. PLus, I've tried riding that Karma train and GIVE GIVE and GIVE SOME MORE.

Ebay my friend. I get my lead weights for about .11/ounce, shipped. Buy in bulk or find people to go in on an order with to save even more on shipping.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Re:

Post by crashmister »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
Jwright1 wrote:

Ebay my friend. I get my lead weights for about .11/ounce, shipped. Buy in bulk or find people to go in on an order with to save even more on shipping.
Rory: Thanks again you saved me a friggin fortune with that. I didnt buy anything under 4 oz but the larger weights were great. I was impressed with the quality as well.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Yep thanks to Rory that's also where I get my lead.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

crashmister wrote:
gdm phil wrote:Wife got me a soft bag for xmas. 4 cases inside. ive divided one for weight one for lures, one for assorment of hooks and the last for swivels and add ons. bags is great when carrying alot of gear. throw it on my shoulder and go. its also easy to pick up an xtra case and make it a travel case for when im in the canoe
BassPro has a back pack tackle box on sale right now for 19.94 with boxes it's reg. 40.00. I bought one last Sat. It's a friggin steal. It comes with 3 boxes and has room for 4 large boxes in the top half. Not to mention all the pockets. They also have the Browning long nosed fishing pliers with sheath and lanyard for 24.94 reg 49.99. Sale goes until the 14th.
Ill stop by there tomm before the airport thanx for the tip
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

gdm phil wrote:
crashmister wrote:
Ill stop by there tomm before the airport thanx for the tip

Got that back in January and use the crap out of it. Love that thing (especially for only 20).

Just don't put pyramids in the boxes, as they are super stiff and thin...one good rattle with loose pyramid/lead inside and you're bound to get a hole in it.

Also, thanks crash for the eBay info. Gonna hit 'em up and stock up for spring/summer.

Any good deals on welded 10/0 Js?

Anddddddddd.......if anyone knows where to get deals on 6-8 0z claws (don't wanna make my own) I would greatly appreciate that link, too. Those are freakin handy in a super-strong-current situation.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”