Pompano Fishing Pier 2013 to 2022 "ONLY REPORTS"

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Pompano Fishing Pier 2013 to 2022 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Thank you for the reports :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2013 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by WetWillie »

Happy New Year, Tommie! Now, let's go out and catch some!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

thehawk
Fisher

Post by thehawk »

Does anyone know when the end of the pier will be fixed and re-opened?

joebobconn
Fisher

Post by joebobconn »

I'm not sure when the pier is going to be finished,
however I do know Mack's have been biting solid through
the holidays. Caught them consistently on white zoom jigs.

scviper11
Fisher

Post by scviper11 »

Went out this evening and not a lot of action going on. Seas were pretty rough and the water was dirty. Someone did catch a few pompano though.

drago4951
Fisher

Post by drago4951 »

I was there today from noon until 4 pm. There was no current at all. The only thing biting was the crabs. I caught one small runner on a crankbait. Around 2:30 pm the wind picked up, still no bites. One guy at the end of the pier was freelining live shrimp. He caught 5 or 6 spanish mac's in about 45 minutes. I was freelining live shrimp and ballyhoo strips in the middle of the pier with no luck.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Same on Saturday. But the mack bite did turn on for about 30 minutes in the afternoon, although it was totally dead before and after. Even then, they were still very finicky, but I did manage to get one for lunch. :D

On an odd note, I saw a guy catch an octopus on a crappie jig, go figure :?:

ItsAllAboutME
Weekend Warrior

Post by ItsAllAboutME »

Fix the T folks, add more yards to current pier! Make it longer than Deerfield pier! Our kids will love and memorize You, officials!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Fished 9-2, only saw 2 macs and one really big pompano, (or was it a small permit)? Took the day off being that the conditions looked ideal... but someone forgot to tell the fish.

On a funny note, I put down my $250 rig to catch some bait, and got non-stop action on my trusty old garbage-picked sabiki rod. I had blue runners attacking my sabiki on every drop. It was a blast on that little pole. :happyfisherman:

TOMMY
Weekend Warrior

Post by TOMMY »

sorry for the late report
was there monday to thursday 8 am to 12
maks were hiting arounf 8.30 am to 10 then dead with thursday been the best day i saw at least 30 maks coming over the rail

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Greetings, my brothers and sisters of the salty wooden plank! Fished Pompano today from about 8 till 2:30 p.m. ESE wind, steady @ about 10-12 mph. A good chop on the water and the color was great. Current was, for the most part, northward. All day long, if you were fishing the south side, with a crappie jig and a strip, you should have gotten your limit. Macks were there all day, but they'd surge and then die out and then cycle again. You know what I mean, they're here and then they're gone on a coffee break. But, Everybody got some! It was nice. Kudos to Joe, Greg, Doug and Eddie for leading the way! Gogs were thick under the pier but good luck getting their attention. I bugged them for an hour and got none! Well, at least they're there. (Cast net?) Tourists were thick, as usual, so I had to have some fun with them.

Tourist: "What kind of fish is that?" :happyfisherman:
Me: "Oh, that's a raw longjaw mudsnapper!"
Tourist: "What about that other one?"
Me: "Oh, that's a bristle whiskered catfish!"
Tourist: "Hey, Louise, come see the catfish and the mudsnapper!!!"
Sometimes, I just crack me up!

Oh, and you should have seen the thievery going on. These two pelicans were sitting on the rail, and when somebody left a flopping mac on the deck, they'd swoop down and grab it and haul a$$. It was kinda funny and kinda scary watching them choke those fish down, but amazingly, they did! They probably won't eat for a week now.

Now, having posted all this and spilling the beans, I'll probably see all of you early tomorrow, right? Tight lines and belly strips, dudes! Out! :salut:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great report but good luck cast netting gogs especially the big ones. I've done well on the finger size ones with heavy nets but never on the gorilla gogs
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

I was just kidding about castnetting them. They're too deep anyway! I'll have to just sneak up on them with my 4 oz. weighted snatchhook!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Hmm... not doubting your report WetWillie, but I was there from 5pm-7pm and it was pretty dead by then. Had it not been for about a 15 minute window of action towards the end, I would've been skunked. However, I ended up with 4 Macs from that brief bite, and only saw 2 others caught by the rest of the pier rats.

Btw, was it anyone from here that gave me a Mac and said, "here's another one for your collection"?

drago4951
Fisher

Post by drago4951 »

Was at the pier today from about 9:30 until 2 pm. Macs came over the rail off and on the entire time. If you had a white jig then there was no reason that you shouldn't have landed 3 - 4 macs. I of course did not have any. I did get one on a gotcha lure. One gentleman did give me one. I ws thinking now I can get 3 or 4 more. I got one hit and a miss the one hook up that bit off the lure. That ended my day.

It was far more windy than the news stated. I believe the news said that it was going to be 5 to 8 MPH. It was more like 15 to 20.

I did see one pompano come over the rail when I was leaving.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

The pomps have gotta be here soon! But they sure weren't yesterday (Sunday). Conditions were perfect; water, wind, current, but somebody forgot to tell the fish. Oh, there were scattered macs on crappie jigs, but bottom fishers got spots, muharra (spelling?) and lizardfish. Guys pitching banana jigs scored zip. Stayed from sunup till about noon, and no pomps; zilch, zero, nada, bupkiss. Maybe today, but I suggest you call around first. I did get a great windburn from standing at the south rail though yesterday! It's always great to be out in the elements! Tight lines, my brothers and sisters of the salty wooden plank! Out! :salut:

TonyFtLaud
Fisher

Post by TonyFtLaud »

Today was a great day at the pier, Macs were hitting all day long , white crappie jigs,green and white crappie jigs and gotchas with bucktails all worked fine.
The pompano were there in force as well,up to 5 lbs. Docs goofy jigs were the ticket, outfishing sand fleas 4 to 1 all day. The pier is closed tomorrow for the Grand reopening , only pompano could hold a grand reopening of a pier thats been reopened nearly 2 years with the T still blown apart but hopefully the fishing will still be hot on sat!

redskull35
Fisher

Post by redskull35 »

Pompano will be closed today until 1:00PM, got there and the city has barricades blocking the pier entrance.

soflafisher185
Fisher

Post by soflafisher185 »

I need to catch some live bait on saturday morning. Has there been any bait showing up at pompano pier? If so around what times is the bait there? If not does anyone know of a spot close by that i can catch them?

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Did the morning shift on Sunday, water was dark green all the way far out past the T. Figured it was going to be a skunkin', but I got lucky and had a mongo jack hit my Gotcha, a good 10lbs I say. What a blast! :reeling:

Also managed a mack, but they were very scarce. Not much bait around.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Hey, Beo, saw in the paper today that the City of Pompano is considering demolishing the pier and rebuilding it but they want to do it on a budget. Current pier is 45 years old and there's eroding support piling considerations too. They don't want to fix what they got.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Ya, I read it too. I really don't see so much wrong with it now except for the tee part.

Frosty
Fisher

Post by Frosty »

Fished Pompano Pier this morning (6/28/13) from 7-9 AM. it was dead. Not a bite. Only saw one guy catch anything... from where I was I think it was a parrot fish... The guys said the mackrel were really good last night, but this morning there was no follow through...

Frosty

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Frosty wrote:The guys said the mackrel were really good last night, but this morning there was no follow through...Frosty
Really? I was there 7pm til sundown, yesterday, just saw 2 macks caught. Some blue runners and a couple of ladyfish as well.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Fished it Sunday morning til 10am, totally dead, green dirty water. Bait was VERY dificult to come by, wow, in the middle of summer?!

Anyway, looking off to the South, I could see the water under Anglins was nice and blue, clean. Then looked North, again nice clean water off in the distance. So what is up with Pompano Pier? Is it the butt-hole of the area or something? Sheesh!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

BEOWULF wrote:Fished it Sunday morning til 10am, totally dead, green dirty water. Bait was VERY dificult to come by, wow, in the middle of summer?!

Anyway, looking off to the South, I could see the water under Anglins was nice and blue, clean. Then looked North, again nice clean water off in the distance. So what is up with Pompano Pier? Is it the butt-hole of the area or something? Sheesh!
How was the bait situation? Still lots of small pilchards in the surf?

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

If you didn't bring any, you were in trouble.

Return to “Broward County”