Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2013 to 2022 "ONLY REPORTS"

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Re: Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2013 to 2016 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by shos260288 »

You are correct sir, just found this in an old post:

BROWARD COUNTY
Ch. 25714 (1949).
AN ACT prohibiting the use of fish nets in the salt waters
of Broward County, Florida, except a common cast or throw
net which shall not exceed seven feet in length.

Section 1. That no person, firm or corporation shall use or
cause to be used any net or nets in the salt waters of Broward
County, Florida, for the purpose of taking or catching fish,
provided that this section shall not apply to a common cast or
throw net which is not in excess of seven feet in length.
Section 2. Anyone violating any of the provisions of this
act shall be fined in the sum of not exceeding $500.00 or by
imprisonment not exceeding six months or by both such fine
and imprisonment.
Editor's note—This act became a rule pursuant to Laws of Fla. ch.
83-134.
Fish Crazy

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

shos260288 wrote:Wow, never heard of that one. I've never seen FWC measuring one's cast net.
I have seen them cut the net up. Pretty easy to spot a net over 7 ft.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

shos260288 wrote:Wow, never heard of that one. I've never seen FWC measuring one's cast net.
I've had a net measured and yes its pretty easy to spot.. I've also seen then cut the horn off a net, but now-days they will most likely take the net for evidence...

Just the other day, I saw the FWC lady wandering the p-lot at the Dania boat ramp and she noticed a guy with some maybe questionable size dolphin heading to the cleaning table, she quietly called the backup boat and they promply came around the corner and yelled at the guy about to set knife to a filet "stop don;t filet another fish"... docked and checked him out.
Don't know where she hangs out but we've seen here around that p-lot and dock quite often,, to me thats a good thing cause there are way to many not so honest people fishing out there.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Nice to know they are still checking folks. I don't think I've seen her at the pier. Always usually see the same guys.
Fish Crazy

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

shos260288 wrote:Nice to know they are still checking folks. I don't think I've seen her at the pier. Always usually see the same guys.
She was at the p-lot last Saturday...

Not sure about the pier or jetty, but for sure they hang out in the inlet especially on the weekends and check a lot of boats coming in. They always want to see life jackets, license, sniif for alcohol, and if you admit catching fish they always ask if they can look at your catch.

On the pier and the jetty, like the beach, I guess its like walking a fine line to harass the good guys and figure out how to leave the sustinence fisher-people alone. For what ever reason the law enforcement seem to think its ok to let the sustinence fisher-people slide unless they have an obvious big violation like an illegal Snook or something.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

No speakie Englie!!! :roll:
Fish Crazy

masterbaiter123
Fisher

Post by masterbaiter123 »

Hey guys, I havent fished at dania pier in AGES so I was wondering what type of bait is to use, what fish are around there, and the tackle to use.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

masterbaiter123 wrote:Hey guys, I havent fished at dania pier in AGES so I was wondering what type of bait is to use, what fish are around there, and the tackle to use.
the same fish bait and tackle from AGES ago :wink:

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

Moose wrote:
masterbaiter123 wrote:Hey guys, I havent fished at dania pier in AGES so I was wondering what type of bait is to use, what fish are around there, and the tackle to use.
the same fish bait and tackle from AGES ago :wink:
LOL! But a very wise answer! The marketing of fishing paraphernalia would have us believe that there are all manner of new and improved ways and gear to improve your chances but anything that worked 50 years ago still works today.

However, to add another answer to "three-stroke-bloke's" (masterbaiter123??) question, start with a spinning combo and maybe 20lb line and bring a variety of circle and live bait hooks and look at what the other guys there are doing and follow their lead. You can fish live or frozen shrimp, cut baitfish live pilchards etc. What's biting changes by the day so no way to tell ya what'll be there the day you show up.

In my 50 years of fishing I have seen a few amazing catches that put silence to all the wizened pros. Back in the 70s saw a 5 year old boy hook up and land a 30 lb striped bass in SFO bay from a pier with a tiny spin cast and a piece of hotdog while all the old timers were free lining anchovies and getting skunked. Saw a grandma haul a 15 lb blue catfish out of a Georgia lake on a hand line baited with a piece of watermelon rind. Best one though was 7 foot leopard shark out in California caught on a gummie bear from the surf.
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

With the summer months upon us live bait will be the choice. Get yourself a sabiki rig and try free-lining live ones. Snook, Tarpon, and plenty of Blue Runners will be hanging around for your offerings. Search this thread for earlier posts from previous years to gain insight as you learn.
Fish Crazy

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

ok fine...the reasonable crowd has spoken (jabie/shoes) and they are much nicer than i am....must be because dik isnt around as a bad influence anymore

you are only allowed 3 rods at dania....(i usually sneak an ultra light 2 pc in my bag to use as a bait rod).....so here is what i think is best..

1)be sneaky and hide a small reel and 2 pc rod for a bait rod.....the cashier wont be too hard to persuade, but "boss of the house" is a dik and even if the pier is empty he will feel the need to reinforce his importance....use this rod with a sabiki (no beads) to catch live bait (trust me, in the summer you will see a cloud of bait somewhere on the pier during the day)

2)light tackle rod to toss lures or free line baits.....i know alot of guys sweat by braid..but i like 10-12lb mono and a 15-25lb leader...fluoro or not...alot of times fluoro is not needed...mono is also much more forgiving

3) 2 down rods........i usually cast one close...and i bomb the other one out as far as i can.....be as scarce as possible with metal...there is a post somewhere in the "how to" section about bottom rigs, and what hooks to use...i like circle hooks when casting way out and short shank mustads when dropping in close.

be respectful of people...even if they are obviously cooks...

i once helped a random family and showed them how to catch macks (which they did), and in return i asked for small runners...they obliged and it resulted in a nice summer snook...

if all else fails, take the bait you caught and cut it up and you can slay some snapper inside...hope this helps...

i really hope your first post isnt your last...

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Fished Dania on Thursday (6/2) from 4 to 7.

Big pod of pilchards were balled up at the T. Tarpon were moving in and out and a couple hooked up to them. I saw one underslot caught at the T. I also saw a couple people pull up undersized muttons from the Southeast corner. Some guys were pulling in mangroves right under the hut. There are small snook and cudas by the entrance. I had one good hit from a snook and he chafed through my leader.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Thanks for the report JT305, nice to see summer is starting to heat up.
Fish Crazy

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Just me, or has the cam been down for the past few days?
Fish Crazy

Surfcaster
Fisher

Post by Surfcaster »

Yup...not just you.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

haven't noticed, out with the dania cam in with the deerfield underwater cam.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I heard the local destroyed it to hide the limits of pompano being caught now (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

lol, I think KOTS maybe back and killing the snook.
Fish Crazy

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Is there any proof of kots ever actually catching a snook

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

cvstrat wrote:Is there any proof of kots ever actually catching a snook
Is there any proof of kots ever actually catching a fish any fish ?
There fixed it for you (tommy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Son, truth be told, I can't even remember ever catching a quality fish.

But, thank you in particular for clearing that up so I can ask......can a person really say they caught the fish (huge tuna for example) if someone handed them the rod already screaming? (tommy (tommy (tommy Or, it's like when GK lets Rare reel in a permit he hooked up for fifty bucks. Can Rare post a picture of that fish without a disclaimer or asterisk?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Thought I'd stop by and get some easy Bait at the tea yesterday but when I got there they were all gone
Seen plenty of little mini snook hanging around some blue runners being caught. Got there about 430 and it was Lowtide

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Went to dania yesterday from 4:30-10:00. Saw lots of short muttons caught on small baitfish that looked like grunts. I caught the only mangrove was about 13in on one of the baby grunts near the pilings at the T. After the sun went down no one caught much except for bigger size grunts and a 4ft nurse.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

There's still no bait around ?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Not that I know of... and at nght some guy put a really strong light in the water and it attracted some baitfish but no one was able to catch any

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

use doughballs on tiny hooks soaked in balsamic vinegar.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Anyone been out lately?
Fish Crazy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Dead

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

That's what I'm thinking. I haven't even seen our favorite bait canner Jabie posting lately.
Fish Crazy

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

shos260288 wrote:That's what I'm thinking. I haven't even seen our favorite bait canner Jabie posting lately.
Well I did go out there last weekend. We're a fair amount of pilchards around of varying size mixed with tiny runners and jacks as far as bait. Only thing of size were runners and a few larger jack crevalle. Didn't see any macs or snapper getting caught. But it changes from day to day so who knows. Plus there's been some recent weather changes.

With Dik on the Pacific coast now, well, there just ain't Dik at Dania no more I guess!
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

Return to “Broward County”