little of this little of that

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
scallop
Fisher

little of this little of that

Post by scallop »

Ok, third attempt at making a post. Grandson hit a button and deleted what I was writing once, and wife did it again while playing with him. It was brilliant writing, probably would have won a Pulitzer. :mad:

Anyway, I am from a little east of Columbus, OH and get to spend a week or two down here every year, MY son (just turned 16) and sometimes wife would fish with me, we would hit up the piers and take a charter or two each trip. I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Let me start by saying we have no fishery anywhere near what y'all have down here, thus I am pleased catching smaller specimens and what would be considered bait-fish or ornamentals put a huge smile on my face. You guys don't really realize how great you have it.

Trying to branch out a little this trip, I have a handful of rods and terminal tackle that I bring with me. So far this year have hit Deerfield pier for a few ok grovers 10-12", one decent croaker 13" or so and several grunts, porkfish, and a lookdown.

Pompano had a couple nice 13" grover and something that was really big, kept bleeding line and snapped a nice St. Croix rod (will be sending it in for warranty)

Alsdorf Park, tons of grunts, porkfish, checkered puffer, something large that got tangled in the mangroves and pulled the hook off a sabiki rig that I had put a larger hook on the end to hold a whole shrimp.

Hillsboro inlet so many grunts, sgt. majors, blue runners and small snappers to count. Was using a sabiki to get some bait and was filling up 4-6 fish strings.

Now, for a typical SFLA angler this would be nothing, but from a short chubby guy from Ohio it is great. I would like to expand my territory and size/quality of catches and would really like to get my son into something big. I have a cooler set up with bubbler to hold live shrimp.

Any tips on where else to go and methods to use? Any decent charter's to recommend that won't break the bank?

Help a brother out! :D

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: little of this little of that

Post by fishnfool73 »

Grunt King on here runs charters and I've always done well fishing with him. Also the Samana or Mystic Rose have been doing well. Borh have reports on Facebook. Both are headboats but have 6-12 people onboard. Samana is really good with kids. Locally the Helen S has been doing well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

What time of year do you visit?

scallop
Fisher

Post by scallop »

I am here until the 28th. Went by the South Inlet park today, looks like it could be decent along the jetty for snappers and such? Free line a live shrimp? Any other baits I should try or method for that area?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Shrimp have been running at night at the inlet.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

scallop
Fisher

Post by scallop »

fishnfool73 wrote:Shrimp have been running at night at the inlet.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

scallop
Fisher

Post by scallop »

Son and I were at Hillsboro inlet Saturday night and there were shrimp all over, we caught a ton of grunts and small blue runners, I had a pin fish out on a bottom line but not a nibble.

scallop
Fisher

Post by scallop »

Here are some of my monstrous catches. Been down the last three days with an ear infection for me and my son had some sort of stomach virus. Not much worse than being on vacation and being sick.

Return to “Broward County”