Moonfish/lookdown fishing

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
mvnray
Weekend Warrior

Moonfish/lookdown fishing

Post by mvnray »

i am really into moonfishing lately and have been using 6lb test with gog bugs and 1/32 crappie jigs. i’ve only been able to catch them during the day though. When i am fishing for them in lights at night they never want to bite. Is there any better lures to use? Maybe some different style of ice fishing jig similar to a gog bug? What about one of those sabikis with little shrimp on it? Any moonfish experts out there?

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Moonfish/lookdown fishing

Post by Old School »

When I was a young teenager fishing for snook on the Bridges of Biscayne Bay at night we cursed Lookdowns since they readily ate our live shrimp when we were targeting snook. We also avoided ladyfish and tarpon, since we could only afford a couple dozen live shrimp. Now days I feel fortunate to land a large enough Lookdown for table fare. I think small live shrimp on a light leader with a small split shot two or three feet above the bait will work at night.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Re: Moonfish/lookdown fishing

Post by LINESIDER »

Drop a light, little bit oatmeal chum one them Biscayne Bay bridges youll have them circling your light. Like said above. Small everything,little pieces of shrimp should work.

Return to “Broward County”