J Hook vs Circle Hook

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
mil7950
Weekend Warrior

J Hook vs Circle Hook

Post by mil7950 »

I tried switching over to circle hooks recently after using J hooks my entire life, didn't know what a circle hook was up until recently lol. Im specifically targeting snapper and I'm using 1/0 and occasionally 2/0 circles but I'm hooking up half as often as I do with J hooks. I think I may be using too large of a piece of cut bait or I'm waiting too long to start reeling.

Does anyone have any tips on how to use circles more efficiently as far as drag settings and when to start reeling?

full-cooler
Seasoned Fisher

Re: J Hook vs Circle Hook

Post by full-cooler »

Maybe you're hooking the circle hook too far into the bait ?

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

This may help. It is all about how you set your hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6iwRRAR0c
Fish Crazy

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

I'll mess around with where I put the hook the next time I'm out.

Thanks for the video, too. I'll try what it teaches.

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperfanatic1828 »

Usually, i only use circles on bigger baits or when im using multiple rods i wouldnt be able to reach on time. And i only pierce the bait only once..just my opinion on what works for me..

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

I'll use circles on all live bait unless I'm mack fishing, then I'll go with a long shank J.
Fish Crazy

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

It's all about the opening. The distance between the point of the hook and hook shank. The wider that opening the better your hook up ratio. Smaller circles tend to pull under pressure in big fish.

Last year we were stuck with small bait in Mexico. 5/0 circles were pulling constantly. Hook just can't bite deep enough to hold under pressure.

Fortunately we made bait every night. The local Maceral were considerably larger. Once we went to the bigger 8/0 & 9/0 hooks, no more pulls.

You may be trying to set the hook like a J hook. Just reel untill the line comes tight and then keep it tight. You can reel as fast as you like, just don't pull set the hook.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Snapper Info”