Pompano gulf side

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
flounderman
Fisher

Pompano gulf side

Post by flounderman »

New member here Looking to catch pompano on the gulf side in central florida area willing to travel to gulf where pompano are biting any info wold be appreciated.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Pompano gulf side

Post by fishnfool73 »

The Skyway and all the local passes have them at times.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

flounderman
Fisher

Post by flounderman »

Thankyou where are the passes and are they running now fishnfool73. Ive been to the Skyway in the last month with no luck also mhave been to playlinda where I only caught a bull whiting I let go yesterday I,m on vacation so I'm looking to catch some fish Flounder also would be nice.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I believe the season is done there but check local reports for them. Most are caught on jigs there in my experience.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Go south
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Fisher

Post by 3212 »

I'm new to Pompano fishing.I've caught 3 so far.The first 2 were from the beach after an hour of casting and jigging 2 yellow bananna jigs.A double on one cast.Another hour of casting and no action,my arm was worn out.The 3rd one was from a pier.I tried a small silver diamond jig.On the first cast down the slough I hooked a 13 incher.A half hour later with no more action,I went to the end of the pier for spanish mackeral.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

3212 wrote:I'm new to Pompano fishing.I've caught 3 so far.The first 2 were from the beach after an hour of casting and jigging 2 yellow bananna jigs.A double on one cast.Another hour of casting and no action,my arm was worn out.The 3rd one was from a pier.I tried a small silver diamond jig.On the first cast down the slough I hooked a 13 incher.A half hour later with no more action,I went to the end of the pier for spanish mackeral.

A double of pomps is worth the worn out arm. Don't over cook those things.
Welcome to the forum

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I started jigging for pompano on the gulf side a few months ago and had some success with them. Here's what I found.

I usually fish skyway bridge at the beginning of the pier. I use the pompano jig with a teaser, I hook the fish usually with the teaser(90% of the time). I like the water flowing but not too much. This is because the jig have to touch the floor in order for it to work. Also I like the jig to cover more ground... so the flow cannot be too fast or slow. I find out that the jig catches everything! usually 2 hours before and after slack is the best time that I had with pompano. You just have to keep on jigging and jigging until you find them. They usually come in waves and in at least a pair. If you hook one, there's usually another one around about the same size. Just keep on jigging and you'll catch them! Just remember the jig have to hit the ground a lot of time or all the time on the fall. Most of the bite, they'll take off and some of the bite, you'll feel them just touching the teaser or jig.

Don't use a long rod, 6ft is a good length. Too long, it'll become hard for you to not get line wrap around the tip of your rod. This is just on top of the information you can find on pompano jigging with just a search. ;)

Return to “Pompano Info”