Fall Mullet Run 2008

This area is by invitation ONLY --- Ask me if your not able to view
bolo
USER BANNED

Re: Fall Mullet Run 2008

Post by bolo »

Saw a huge pod heading towards Deerfield Pier around 10-11am.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Got out there tonight saw quite a few mullet in the inlet. Tons of ladyfish and bluefish. No sharks, snooks, or tarpon. :( I fear I missed it all due to work. I've seen more game wardens in the past month, on that jetty then in my whole life.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

School of Mullet heading into Fort Lauderdale Now and alot of Fish in it

It is heading south, Find it and Fish It
Fish Spoted
100+ Tarpons
Sharks, biggest seen was about 10 foot

This is the most active School I have seen so far

This school is moving slow so they should not pass PE inlet until after 11pm tonight, well i don't think anyways.

Just thought I would give a shout and let all who fish in broward know about this one, you may see me there.

A good place to wait would be the cove at PE North side they may very well stay on the beach and move to there and get Hammered by even more fish that are waiting, that area has been very cool for fishing lately with the mullet stacking into that corner up against the Jetty.

Parking is a problem in that area so get the wife, Girlfriend or friend to drop you off
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

Fall Mullet

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-vZgRLbdY8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-vZgRLbdY8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

TarponRob
Fisher

Post by TarponRob »

Thanks for the video Tom. It is good for me to see all the likely suspects at Anglins. Makes me miss you guys and all the fun we have had over the years. I am going to come down soon to see everyone.

Rob
If your not there you can't get the bite.

TarponRob
Fisher

Post by TarponRob »

So, today was an exercise in futility. I started a Juno Pier where there was little activity. About 12:45pm a large school of finger mullet passed by the pier. It took about 45 minutes for them to pass. Unfortunately, there was NOT a predatory fish other than resident snook.

I then saddled the horse and headed south to meet up with the school along the beach. After finding them I was disappointed as they swam by again with no predators in tow. Oh well, it is why I love the game of fishing. You don't always win.

Good news is that this large school is still heading south and that means the mullet run is still on.

Rob
If your not there you can't get the bite.

BoatlessFisherman

Nice to know, Thanks Rob and get your butt down here the Pompano are swimming around the pier like that one year and I hope they stay like that when the Bigger ones move in, Jig City
-Tommy A-

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Thanks for the tip off Rob.

Tom, those were the crazy suicidal schools of hungry Juvie pomps we had at DFP yesterday. Today at DFP.... :roll: was a different story altogether. There were a few stragglers left, but they had moved your way for the most part, leaving only clear green freshwater runoff and no current. :mad:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

jewshi
Fisher

Post by jewshi »

fish all over the place up north and along the beaches have been stacked with fingers. Bridgefisher says he was in a school yesterday with 200 plus pounders in it. Nice. get your nets ready. here they come boys. eatpop
"wrap em up tight so the dogs cant smell em" -young jeezy

joejankees@hotmail.com
Fisher

Post by joejankees@hotmail.com »

When do the mullet normally reach Dade?
If I could be any kind of fish, I would be a fisherman

BoatlessFisherman

Now
-Tommy A-

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Saw two school of mullet at Anglins'. Not much getting work but when the current picks up it will go off.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Guys when you post mullet locations please do us working stiffs a favor and post the area they were located. Much appreciated.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

jewshi
Fisher

Post by jewshi »

between oakland park blvd and port everglades. good net throwing skills needed. rubberfish 4in to 6in mullet colors.(obviously) if you like to throw lures instead of live bait. Mullet have ranged in size from fingers to beast blacks. Lots of ladyfish and bluefish if thats your thing. tarpon and snook as well. use a bigger net with 1in mesh for big black and silvers, or 1/2 for fingers. good luck and see you out there. ill be the one with a confused look on my face :?: :drunk: :toast:
"wrap em up tight so the dogs cant smell em" -young jeezy

jayfrizzo
Weekend Warrior

Post by jayfrizzo »

Once it starts how long does it last? I have a friend coming into town next weekend (10/10) to get after it.

Is it usually better early on, or does it peak then slack off?

J-

Kimilliondafever
Fisher

Post by Kimilliondafever »

This is great - i have been trying to read understand fishing forecast - so far - all negative news. Any updates in the Boynton area.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Other than rough weather and lots of wind kick starting the run there is no rhyme or reason to the run. Some years the mullet run lasts til mid Novemeber but as a rule in my experience the run is over by Halloween. They may be thick for an hours as a huge mile wide school swims by then none for 2 days. Other times they may hold at a beach, pier , or inlet until for no reason at all they head south or north. Some schools hold tarpon, sharks, and snook and then another school comes through with nothing eating on it. Some of the most exciting fishing there is when you catch it right though.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Kimilliondafever
Fisher

fishnfool73 wrote:Other than rough weather and lots of wind kick starting the run there is no rhyme or reason to the run. Some years the mullet run lasts til mid Novemeber but as a rule in my experience the run is over by Halloween. They may be thick for an hours as a huge mile wide school swims by then none for 2 days. Other times they may hold at a beach, pier , or inlet until for no reason at all they head south or north. Some schools hold tarpon, sharks, and snook and then another school comes through with nothing eating on it. Some of the most exciting fishing there is when you catch it right though.
Thanks I going to try Boynton inlet tonight - Ive been on the Blue Heron Bridge now for 4 days straight nothing but small jacks running through lots of bait though.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

In West Palm you have an option that those of us in Broward don't. You can chase the schools on the beach. Start north and work south.... Bring a back pack with leaders , hooks, and lures. Use a 15 lb class spinner with a long casting rod med , med/heavy some 60 lb leader with some 1 - 2 oz silver spoons, Mirrolures, or Zara Spooks . When you find a school that are being fed on fish them until they pass then pack up and head south to get ahead of the school. This method is lots of fun and a lot more productive than waiting in one spot for them to come to you. Travel light and travel fast.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Kimilliondafever
Fisher

Thanks - good advice will try!!! After al the best part of fishing is the chase

sharkmn42
Old Salt

Post by sharkmn42 »

there hasnt been much up this way guys...the run has been mainly in the river and inlets...the beach its been hardly anything .....it seems down south theres been a few schools reported on the beach .....my guys havent hooked any tarpon this year and they travel inlet to inlet daily...just a few full grown spinners sharks for there effort...and some small blues and ladys.....its been quite....every year is diffrent...mike :wink:
Is it better to be feared or respected or is it two much to ask for both......

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

last year by deerfield the mullet run was on for about one day, This year we had a good 1-2 weeks of mullet and madness, but onyl thing in the schools was blues , ladyfish and macks no sharks on them
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

jackhunter
Fisher

Post by jackhunter »

Sunday AM: Several pods of smaller silvers coming by Deerfield Pier. Largest pod that I saw in about 2hrs was maybe 50yds long. Mullet were all hugging the beach, so no sharks, tarpon or any big fish in them. Tons of bluefish, runners, jacks and some ladyfish all around them. Great fast paced fishing! They could have easily been fished from the beach as well.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Sunday 7 PM Fingers still there - Same size pod - Still getting WORKED - Should pick up on the Southern piers tomorrow.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Kimilliondafever wrote:Thanks I going to try Boynton inlet tonight - Ive been on the Blue Heron Bridge now for 4 days straight nothing but small jacks running through lots of bait though.
Avoid the Blue Heron Bridge. It's only good for bait. Its been overfished for years and shows it.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

jayfrizzo
Weekend Warrior

Post by jayfrizzo »

So is the mullet run over?

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

I saw some big schools of Mullet last Sunday of Miami Beach .They were followed with Bluefish,spanish Macks and countless Baby-kingfish(snakes).

fisher 51

Post by fisher 51 »

Hi guys, new on this forum--born in Ft. Laud. grew up from Pompano Bch. to Tampa fished all my life, like my great-grandfather in S. fla.(Moses Lanier) I live up here on Lake Sidney Lanier (kin to my great grandfather) I hope yall have some places to fish from shore left, when I moved away 20yrs. ago they kept making it harder. No fishing and no parking signs poped up faster than you could count. Caught alot of snook across the street from N.E.High School early in the morning after a night of rain,at that spillway. I used to have a book of bank fishing spots from the Boyton inlet to Port everglades, I drew up of my own.Wish yall good luck fishin` this fall season, I hope to fish the west coast of Fla. in Dec. See ya gotta scoot... Ed

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

So I havnt been out fishing in awhile have the mullet moved on??

Return to “Florida Fishing Runs Fall and Spring”