2013 Mullet & Fall Run South Florida Area Reports--RIP Zebco

This area is by invitation ONLY --- Ask me if your not able to view
gatorjwade
Old Salt

Re: 2013 Mullet & Fall Run South Florida Area Reports--RIP Z

Post by gatorjwade »

WOOHOO! :bounce: Hold on!

No schools on boca beach this morning, but there were fish flapping here and there, mostly 150-300 yds out. I did catch several 2-2.5' ladyfish, but on about the 5th one I lost my spoon. :-( Last day out I caught 5 bluefish, so I was actually surprised it lasted that long.
Jeff

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

dolphan4ever410 wrote:Nice, I went further south were Nikki beach is. There is a bunch of parking down there.
I honestly don't know the area to well but I will try right there on south pointe drive tomorrow.

Anyways, I didn't see any pods of mullet when I got down to the beach off 11th st. First cast out a nice slot snook that I ended up releasing back into the water. My brother reels his mullet right into the wash and wham! Watching them come up and smash the bait never gets old. We had some high hopes after getting 2 bites within minutes but we didn't have any luck for another hour so we packed up. Quick little video of my brother

dolphan4ever410
Fisher

Post by dolphan4ever410 »

Nice Snook. Just head south on ocean drive and when the road is about to end you will see a parking lot on your left. Ya those pods were right behind Nikki Beach when I got there and I didn't see any more pods coming from the North. I will be out there Tuesday,Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning of next week so I will probably see you out there.

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

nice fish................."Watching them come up and smash the bait never gets old. "..............very true.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Great Reports and Nice Snooks :toast: :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

1alopez
Fisher

Post by 1alopez »

Looks like fishing getting good ! And were you see that pod ^^^^^^^?

chumbucket1
Fisher

Post by chumbucket1 »

Saturday mid-day: Singer Island (north PB) saw steady stream of mullet heading south just beyond sand bar - got into some blues and macks. Couldn't connect with the big tarpon that were cruising through the mullet pods.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Yesterday off Boca, mullet were thick in the afternoon after 1 pm in a couple of groups that occasionally got hit hard. Sight casted to mid-sized tarpon crashing through but couldn't hook up. As previously mentioned, today after 5 pm was disappointing compared to conditions yesterday.

Large groups of Chinese pulling up slob ladyfish around 7 pm with the women immediately starting to clean the fish on the beach. Did ladyfish somehow get tasty?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Slammer wrote:Yesterday off Boca, mullet were thick in the afternoon after 1 pm in a couple of groups that occasionally got hit hard. Sight casted to mid-sized tarpon crashing through but couldn't hook up. As previously mentioned, today after 5 pm was disappointing compared to conditions yesterday.

Large groups of Chinese pulling up slob ladyfish around 7 pm with the women immediately starting to clean the fish on the beach. Did ladyfish somehow get tasty?
yesterday was a just a good day to fish i went out tossing the old hawk lastnight got 4 snook one over one in 2 under
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

scattered pods of fingers in north day yesterday afternoon....all getting hammered by schools of big jacks 7-10lbs plus...didnt see any tarpon or snook on them in the bay...but the jacks are a hell of a fight on my 15lb setup...we also caught the resident nurse sharks...cant seem to ever avoid them. There were pelicans dive bombing all over the bay...and i could see bait getting blown up all over..just not big pods..but there are plenty of them...if you have a boat or yak the bay has plenty of action. on land....well you gotta hope they come within casting range :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Nice fish! Id love to get one of these on my 10lbs and a top-water. Ill drive a while for that kind of action!

-swordfish

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Well, true, however, that just happened to be what he caught there that day... It may be one of his good go to spots for everything else.

-swordfish

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Big pod with tarpon in them heading north of lake worth pier today around 5:30.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

PaulieBoy wrote:That's a first... I never seen anyone black out a spot in a pic while holding a jack.
i don't know where you live, but in dade county spots are hard to come by. That and there are a lot of chitheads in Miami.

But i digress..this thread is for mullet reports...was anyone on the water in dade today?

streetfish
Fisher

Post by streetfish »

Anyone know the closest beach to SOBE that can be fished from all day?

So far, been sneaking out onto SOBE and Haulover post 6:30... once the life guards leave...

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

streetfish wrote:Anyone know the closest beach to SOBE that can be fished from all day?

So far, been sneaking out onto SOBE and Haulover post 6:30... once the life guards leave...
Look up the restricted swim areas for miami beach. If you go north of 14th st, you can fish te beach all day with the exception of the few beach parks. As long as you're not with 100 yards of the lifeguard tower you should be ok. Again, that's if yer north of 14th and look up the regs on the Miami.gov website just to be sure. There are no lifeguards on the south side of Haulover...

miamiwax
Fisher

Post by miamiwax »

north side of haulover inlet was popping this evening. about 200 yards of solid mullet and tarpon blasting for about an hour before the sun went down. only managed to put a hook in 1.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

Fishing is ILLEGAL in Miami Beach from any beach, bridge or otherwise...In every City of Miami Beach Ordinance, the 'swimmers and sunbathers' win out over our rights even though we are 'licensed' to fish. Go figure...

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

The messed up part is that we are FEDERALLY allowed to fish there... I am so sick of politics... People get all excited when they hear I live in Homestead, then I let them in on the fact that to be able to fish without PERSECUTION I have to end up driving and HOUR north or south... It is ridiculous.

-swordfish

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I hope somebody fished SoBe this morning. I've been watching the surf cam all morning while I'm stuck in Massachusetts. Big pods and tarpon flying out of the water. I'm so jealous right now!!!

dolphan4ever410
Fisher

Post by dolphan4ever410 »

Dude, I was down there this morning and there was a massive pod down there. The mullet were so thick it was hard to get a bait outside of the pod. I had one chance at a Tarpon but I blew it. I was pissed. The past week there have been mullet there every time I have been down there. I didn't see anyone else catch anything. There were probably 4 people fishing this morning. Today was by far the biggest pod though. I hope to God I have better luck tomorrow morning.

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

Any reports for Dania Pier or surrounding beaches? Thinking about going to the pier or walking the south side of the pier tomorrow afternoon

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I've seen small scattered pods at dania but nothing on em

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

Nothing on Ft Lauderdale beach this afternoon. Awesome moonrise however

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Small but productive groups of mullet off Boca last night. Got out after 6 and quickly caught a large mullet on a bucktail. Pod was getting lit up so my buddy threw out a tail and I tossed in a small live mullet a guy nearby with a cast net gave me. We both quickly got picked up and mine pulled like a beast. We crossed lines and my friend got cut but mine held for another minute and then pop! Reeled in to find the crimp just above the leader failed and subsequently released the hook. Last time I use a ready made from Eagle Claw but it was my only 7/0.

Re-rigged and moved down the beach, with my 4 and 2 year old in tow, and tossed in a fresh head. Pod was being lit up once again and after reeling in and tossing back out a few times I was hit by another mack truck. Huge run was ripping line off by the yard and even though I was pumped I realized I was about to get spooled. I charged back into the water to make up any distance I could but... Pop! Number 2 gone and man did this one crush me. Realized I came to the water undergunned. I was using a 4000 and realized later with 17lb suffix so my capacity was way too low for anything with size. I think I was fooled by last Saturday and the last few days by the smaller fish I had seen. The biggun's were out last night!

Re-rigged with another 4000 and ran back in, literally ran back in, because the mullet were once again walking on water all the way up to the beach. Tossed in a head and bam! Here we go. Not as big as the first two but a nice run and then... Nothing. I lose him. Reel in to find the bait mangled and notice the hook I grabbed in haste wasn't big enough for how I set it so it was barely sticking out of the head.

Rookie mistakes, I know. The kids had a ball and I got in an hour of beach time that I didn't think I would. Got home and immediately pulled out the penn's and bigger tackle to get ready for the weekend.

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

great report...thanks... figures I decided not to go..

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Thank you, your welcome. Couldn't get out last night but got the call at 4 that bait was running the beach. My friend said the ladyfish were so thick they were washing up on the shore. Blues as well.

Other than China Beach he said no one was really out fishing. Because of the large moon there were alot of people who came out to stargaze so he said he had a big crowd while he tossed out a spoon and hooked up each cast with ladyfish. No big strikes though.

Return to “Florida Fishing Runs Fall and Spring”