East Coast Mullet run 2014 Reports ONLY

Invitation ONLY
chris21
KING MACKEREL

Re: East Coast Mullet run 2014 Reports ONLY

Post by chris21 »

netted some finger mullet at john lloyd the other day, the average sized schools arent that large yet, at least from what Im seeing, Im working so much so I can hardly take advantage of this :mad:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Took an extended lunch and fished the ICW in Boca. Small pods of fingers sporadically cruising through and small groups of mullet swiming south and then back north.

Water was crystal clear and of course, the weather was beautiful, but the only things breaking topwater where hogleg needlefish (im sure that's not correct but they were fatties) and a couple of rays. Spotted a few good sized jacks cruising through and 3 manatees. Finally picked up an assortment of yellowtail and other snapper under the bridge when nothing else seemed to be biting but none of them said, "Take me home with you", so they went back into the blue.

Scouted about a mile of the beach but had no sightings.

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

Thanks for report..!

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

i went out to north ft laud beach yesterday. walked up and down past the palms and 23rd street. finger mullet very very spread out and thin. saw some bigger mullet jumping further out, but not a lot

boriqua187
Fisher

Post by boriqua187 »

Thousand of mature mullet north of the boynton inlet heading south water is black.....accessible from shore with cast net tarpon having a feast I mean thousands of mullet!!!!! :fish: :uplol:

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

I shouldn't have went to work today.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Large pod of fingers went through first thing Friday morning, through the day and into the evening small schools of larger mullet going pass with some Hoglegs with them.

I am seeing a couple of very small schools of large mullet passing now.

Today saw more larger mullet then I have seen in the last tree weeks, Crazy how much fingers mullet have passed and still have to go by becuase there is still alot of fingers north also.

I hope we will now start see the bigger mullet
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Tons of glass minnows while I was fishing the south side of jupiter inlet. Mostly juvi kings and lady fish on them.

Peter.miami
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Peter.miami »

Fished sobe for 2 hrs this morning, spotted one pod with little action on it. Around 8.00 am it started moving north.

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

Reports have been less lately. I have seen less mullet too. Maybe they're getting by us at night? I am mostly in the Dania area and a couple weeks ago saw quite a few decent pods cruise through. But not too much lately. I imagine the mullet action varies depending on where you are. So what's the deal? Is it fizzling out already? Does the size of the mullet change as the weeks go by too?
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

BoatlessFisherman

Jabie1313 wrote:Reports have been less lately. I have seen less mullet too. Maybe they're getting by us at night? I am mostly in the Dania area and a couple weeks ago saw quite a few decent pods cruise through. But not too much lately. I imagine the mullet action varies depending on where you are. So what's the deal? Is it fizzling out already? Does the size of the mullet change as the weeks go by too?
Alot of finger mullet has gone by Fort Lauderdale at night I have witnessed this and I mean a lot but I think there is still more finger to come.
Also I Haven't seen a lot of large ones so expect to see more of them so I think it still going just a slow flow.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

Thanks Tommy. Just spent half hour staring at the ICW under the drawbridge at Dania Beach Blvd looking for mullet ripples. Didn't see anything. Off to Dania pier now. Maybe I'll see something there this am.
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Yesterday I worked one of the most beautiful tornadoes of mullet I have ever seen.

ICW, 10 foot depth. Spectacular! Nothing else on it though. Beach and river, morning and afternoon, not much to show for it but it was a good day to be out.

Hope to read some favorable reports so I can get back this afternoon. Might be time to stop by a pier. Tight lines!

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

Fished South Palm /Boca beach, last eve 5 to 7pm..no mullet...........nothing really

soflonatty
Fisher

Post by soflonatty »

Report for 10/19. Fished off the beach/yak today. Found a massive pod today and I mean biggest one I have seen thus far of the mullet run this year of hoglegs around spanish river in Boca. we managed to hook and catch one 70ish pound fish but missed a couple more that were in the mix. Saw some easy 150lbers out and about busting on the pod. Epic day.

I picked up the tarpon out of the water for 5 seconds if even and gently placed her back in the water. She swam off strong and happy and it sure was awesome to see that after such a great fight. :D :D

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

great catch man...now tell the mullet to run on down to sobe

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Had a continuous stream of horse pilchards flow down on Hallandale Beach today. Big pods but just pilchards, no mullet.

Nothing on them besides the occasional small jack or ladyfish. Regardless, it's the best action I've seen in a while. Looks like good things are coming our way.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Streams of mullet going by ft laud beach this after noon. No predators

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Was at john lloyd saturday morning, bait was absolutely everywhere!! Lots of finger mullet and glass minnows mixed in as well, the jetty area especially was packed loaded with glass minnows, the sad part was that there was absolutely nothing blowing up on any of the bait pods.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Roc86negron
Fisher

Post by Roc86negron »

I second chris21.....literally bait as far you can see in the mangrove canals at John LLoyd. I've been to John Lloyd last Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and there were both pilchards and mullets, huge schools. One net cast and you are set, got about 100 in one throw, froze most of them and used the others live. There was also a few schools of logleg mullets here and there. Fished the jetty for a while, pulled up 3 short muttons, 6-7 foot nurse shark, a bonnet head shark and ladyfish (wayyy to many ladyfish lol) but nothing for the cooler. I just got a yak and plan on yak fishing off of Dania Beach, any who go regularly please hit me up. Tight lines everybody

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

soflonatty wrote:Report for 10/19. Fished off the beach/yak today. Found a massive pod today and I mean biggest one I have seen thus far of the mullet run this year of hoglegs around spanish river in Boca. we managed to hook and catch one 70ish pound fish but missed a couple more that were in the mix. Saw some easy 150lbers out and about busting on the pod. Epic day.

I picked up the tarpon out of the water for 5 seconds if even and gently placed her back in the water. She swam off strong and happy and it sure was awesome to see that after such a great fight. :D :D

sweet catch mang.

landcaster
Seasoned Fisher

Post by landcaster »

soflonatty wrote:Report for 10/19. Fished off the beach/yak today. Found a massive pod today and I mean biggest one I have seen thus far of the mullet run this year of hoglegs around spanish river in Boca. we managed to hook and catch one 70ish pound fish but missed a couple more that were in the mix. Saw some easy 150lbers out and about busting on the pod. Epic day.

###
NICE!!!...I was there Saturday the 18th I could see them jumping way out...........BUT no fair your on a boat, post this in boat/kayak section....lol .....this is a big tease for us casting from shore and not on kayak;)...

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

There was enough pilchards to feed a small country yesterday at Dania Pier/Beach but I only saw maybe 4-5 small pods of about 6 dozen finger mullet in each.

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Scattered pilchards along the beach today, hit one medium sized mullet pod basically at sundown. Only fished it for 20 minutes or so because it got dark really quick. Jacks and ladyfish with them.

Leatherjacks have invaded the beach and are hitting everything. Hopefully this means that the macks are close.

Caught a puffer on a mirrolure, that's a first for me off the beach.

Cool day.

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

A decently sized pod moved past Deerfield pier yesterday around 5:15 and was getting slammed by Tarpon by the rocks

BoatlessFisherman

This weekend should be what ever push were going to get will happen over this next week or so
-Tommy A-

flycaster
Fisher

Post by flycaster »

Flyfished under the Stuart Bridge (early morning, late afternoon-early evening) Tuesday evening, Wed, Thurs morning, and also Ft. Pierce (south side of inlet and the beach). Not much action under the bridge, but there were some mullet pods and small bait fish about. A few mullet pods up at Ft. Pierce, but there was a ton of small baits (with a ton of bird action) Wed and Thurs about a 1/4 miles south of the jetty. Caught ladyfish, jacks, small snook, macks and blues. However, on Thurs was tough as there were 20+mph winds...

Also saw some mullet pods still moving south off Jensen beach.

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Fished a spot last night in Hollywood on the ICW, lots of finger mullet moving north occasionally being blown up by snook/tarpon. There wasn't exactly a pod, just scattered groups being popped once in a while.

soflonatty
Fisher

Post by soflonatty »

landcaster wrote:

###
NICE!!!...I was there Saturday the 18th I could see them jumping way out...........BUT no fair your on a boat, post this in boat/kayak section....lol .....this is a big tease for us casting from shore and not on kayak;)...
Thanks man!! I know we had a yak but these guys were 100% within casting range from the beach. :reeling: :reeling: Still super fun off the yak though!

Saco1997
Fisher

Post by Saco1997 »

http://youtu.be/Y3PX74gr9RM

Has anyone heard of 'The sand blaster bait caster?' Video above... Looks like no school would be out of range!

Also: hog legs on fort laudy beach this morning... Lots of um!

Return to “2014 Mullet and Migratory Fish Fall Run for Florida”