hooks lines and leaders

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

hooks lines and leaders

Post by ringonose »

O.K I am having major problems and well I came to this forum for help. Whenever I go out, I never know which hooks to use, and with which bait, except for Pompano fishing, which I've got down. Other than that, I've got no clue. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I keep seeing people fish around me and never lose their bait, yet the little bait stealing fish steal mine all the time. Also, I'm not sure which sinker to use in which situation, and what size hook to use for some general fishing when using baits like cut mullet, shrimp and squid. Long shank? Short shank?
..."and the meek shall inherit the earth...."

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Re: hooks lines and leaders

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

One Day I will have to finish the abc of fishing.

This is some basic stuff after reading ask more question.

http://boatlessfishing.com/abcfishing.htm
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

salt_life87
Weekend Warrior

Post by salt_life87 »

I always use circle hooks when "basic fishing" with those baits. I always use a size 2 or 3 hook depending on the size of bait and fish Im targeting. Thats all I can help you with for tonight buddy.
IF IM NOT FISHING, IM DREAMING OF IT, AND IF IM NOT DREAMING OF IT, IM FISHING, AND IF IM NOT DOING EITHER .... IM DEAD !!!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

ringonose wrote:O.K I am having major problems and well I came to this forum for help. Whenever I go out, I never know which hooks to use, and with which bait, except for Pompano fishing, which I've got down. Other than that, I've got no clue. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I keep seeing people fish around me and never lose their bait, yet the little bait stealing fish steal mine all the time. Also, I'm not sure which sinker to use in which situation, and what size hook to use for some general fishing when using baits like cut mullet, shrimp and squid. Long shank? Short shank?
Hooks size all depends on size of bait, target size species of fish, and hook gap. These are simple guidelines. Circle hooks in size 4/0-5/0 is a good starting point. (Every manufacture circle hooks are different even tho they mark it the same hook size. I look for hook gap.) This will work for most of your medium size cut or live bait. For larger cut bait or live bait I like using 6/0-7/0 circle hooks. I am also targeting larger fish. If you are using live shrimp 1/0-3/0 J or circle hook will do fine. Most people use short shank J hooks. The long shank J hooks are best use for toothy fish like Macs, Cudas, or Kingfish. This reduces the chance of getting cut off while still using a mono leader.

A few things I do to keep my bait stay on longer. Always use fresh bait as possible. Frozen baits must kept frozen as much as possible. When it starts to thaw out in your cooler the bait becomes mush and will come off the hook easily. If you are using frozen bait always check your bait every 15-20 minutes. A lot of times the smaller fish will pick all the meat off the bait. Having fresh bait will keep them from picking off the meat so easily.

For mild current you can use 4oz sinkers. If the current is moving fast or using large live bait you can use 6-8oz sinkers. These are just guidelines. After time you will figure out what you need to use for certain areas.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

jackpell
Fisher

Post by jackpell »

I was told When using a circle hook not to set the hook. That seems like the wrong thing to do... won't those hard mouthed fish spit the hook? I always set the hook hard when using plugs and it seems like even then they spit the hooks.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

jackpell wrote:I was told When using a circle hook not to set the hook. That seems like the wrong thing to do... won't those hard mouthed fish spit the hook? I always set the hook hard when using plugs and it seems like even then they spit the hooks.
Not if you are fishing them properly...just reel and the hook should catch in the corner of the fish's mouth. Once you are sure you are hooked up, you can give a light hookset to make sure the hook sinks all the way.

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
jackpell wrote:I was told When using a circle hook not to set the hook. That seems like the wrong thing to do... won't those hard mouthed fish spit the hook? I always set the hook hard when using plugs and it seems like even then they spit the hooks.
Not if you are fishing them properly...just reel and the hook should catch in the corner of the fish's mouth. Once you are sure you are hooked up, you can give a light hookset to make sure the hook sinks all the way.
I want to say thanks to everyone who put their time into responding to such a basic question. You're all awesome! It's been frustrating lately, seems I always catch fish when I use the Pompano rigs with the Pompano hooks, but any other hook and there's a problem. SOOOO, being the spearfisherman that I am, I went for a snorkel around some of my favorite spots and found out what was really going on. All sorts of darned bait stealing tiny fish literally EVERYWHERE, simple as that. Doesn't make a difference because when these little critters are around, and I am sure you are all aware of the various species I am referring to here, they nibble and peck away at bait until it looks like tuna out of a can.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

You know what I'm gonna go on a rant here.
I love to fish. Passionite about it like cooking. I look at fishing like skateboarding. I envision every little thing in my mind over and over again. What tricks I'm gonna do, where I'm gonna skate, the microwave burrito I'm gonna eat paired with a mountain dew on the curb at the 7/11, the hot chicks I'm gonna meet up with later in the day with my bros at the pub.
I visualize all day what I'm gonna tie for rigs, what others have told me works and what to do, where to go, what # mono leaders I'm gonna use, where I'm gonna fish, what fish I'm gonna target, etc. etc....
I'm sure this is the same for spearfishing, something I have never done but really would like too.
You now know whats out there from snorkeling around. You have an idea of what to use hook wise, bait wise. The internet is a great tool for getting any information you could ever want to know. How to tie knots, different leader materials, videos on how to cast, every bit of information you could ever want. Like having to go to the library back in the day and read books that wouldn't tell you nothing cuz they be printed in 1957. Google is your friend.
If your gonna fish you will have tons of hooks, swivels, bobbers, long shank hooks, split shot and spinners from trial and error. Theres no just gonna go fish and catch a 75# tarpon from the north jetty.
Fishing is fishing bro, you can go soak hotdogs, or go soak some big baits. Why mess around with spots, croakers, and pinfish, unless for bait. Time to go big or go home. If your gonna be hardcore....then be hardcore.
I burned threw alot of mono, and beer fishing boca inlet when I first moved here 12 years ago trying to "figure out why my pilchard was disapearing from my hook" with smoking runs spooling my tiny reels.
You will get great info here and cudos for asking. Its a good start.
If your gonna fish bottom rigs and don't want bait to vanish then use squid. It's like the night crawlers of Dania Pier, wait the ocean.
Circle hooks take some time to figure out, if your used to Roland Martin hook sets. When using circles let the fish do the work. Let that fish take it and swallow it. Its not gonnna get gut hooked it will set in the corner of the mouth everytime.
As far as hook size think of how big that fishes mouth your going after/targetings mouth is. If its a snook then what size hook is gonna jam that bad mamber jamber 42incher right in the sweet spot and stay hooked.
Im not hating just talking about a shorebound anglers mindset. How one should hit it hard. :toast:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Nice early morning rant.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Good Coffee! :mrgreen:
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:You know what I'm gonna go on a rant here.
I love to fish. Passionite about it like cooking. I look at fishing like skateboarding. I envision every little thing in my mind over and over again. What tricks I'm gonna do, where I'm gonna skate, the microwave burrito I'm gonna eat paired with a mountain dew on the curb at the 7/11, the hot chicks I'm gonna meet up with later in the day with my bros at the pub.
I visualize all day what I'm gonna tie for rigs, what others have told me works and what to do, where to go, what # mono leaders I'm gonna use, where I'm gonna fish, what fish I'm gonna target, etc. etc....
I'm sure this is the same for spearfishing, something I have never done but really would like too.
You now know whats out there from snorkeling around. You have an idea of what to use hook wise, bait wise. The internet is a great tool for getting any information you could ever want to know. How to tie knots, different leader materials, videos on how to cast, every bit of information you could ever want. Like having to go to the library back in the day and read books that wouldn't tell you nothing cuz they be printed in 1957. Google is your friend.
If your gonna fish you will have tons of hooks, swivels, bobbers, long shank hooks, split shot and spinners from trial and error. Theres no just gonna go fish and catch a 75# tarpon from the north jetty.
Fishing is fishing bro, you can go soak hotdogs, or go soak some big baits. Why mess around with spots, croakers, and pinfish, unless for bait. Time to go big or go home. If your gonna be hardcore....then be hardcore.
I burned threw alot of mono, and beer fishing boca inlet when I first moved here 12 years ago trying to "figure out why my pilchard was disapearing from my hook" with smoking runs spooling my tiny reels.
You will get great info here and cudos for asking. Its a good start.
If your gonna fish bottom rigs and don't want bait to vanish then use squid. It's like the night crawlers of Dania Pier, wait the ocean.
Circle hooks take some time to figure out, if your used to Roland Martin hook sets. When using circles let the fish do the work. Let that fish take it and swallow it. Its not gonnna get gut hooked it will set in the corner of the mouth everytime.
As far as hook size think of how big that fishes mouth your going after/targetings mouth is. If its a snook then what size hook is gonna jam that bad mamber jamber 42incher right in the sweet spot and stay hooked.
Im not hating just talking about a shorebound anglers mindset. How one should hit it hard. :toast:
...update: went to the Keys the last few days, and saw a huge difference between what goes on down there as opposed to up here in WPB. Sure there is good fishing to be had around here, but, it didn't make a difference what hook or bait was used. Sure a few bait stealer took our stuff, but there was action to compensate (even caught a lobster..??!). I guess many of the spots I've been fishing the last three months has been full of nothing but small junk fish, and I was sure getting frustrated. Frustrated enough to do the 4-5 hour drive and fish some of the bridges around the Keys. What a difference. Also learned the magic of Fluorocarbon leaders, makes a difference with Snappers. Nice rant by the way, but you should do a spell check if you want me to respect the rant properly dude :jester: Peace and love

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Nice work on getting some fish down there in the keys. Spots make a difference for sure. Thats why most on here are a little touchy about there spots. I need an editor to edit my work so spelling is not an issue. :toast:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

if you use Mozilla they spell check everything. but then fixing things is a lot of work . haha

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

salt_life87
Weekend Warrior

Post by salt_life87 »

yeah I just found a nice spot for grovers in the keys. went last weekend and had a blast !!!
IF IM NOT FISHING, IM DREAMING OF IT, AND IF IM NOT DREAMING OF IT, IM FISHING, AND IF IM NOT DOING EITHER .... IM DEAD !!!

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

salt_life87 wrote:yeah I just found a nice spot for grovers in the keys. went last weekend and had a blast !!!
I still want to get a boat. But, and this may be a big but, I have yet to do any fishing in Florida in months without an "R" in it, as well as the fall. I hear the fishing is better after spring. Heard the groupers and snappers come closer to shore then? I'll have fun finding out!
I also have greatly increased my success rate by using invisible leaders, albeit the smaller snapper's are more eager. TIP: use bigger chunks of cut bait, which attracts the smaller ones who'll nibble at it but still not be able to snatch it away, giving time for a bigger one to come in and take over (hence letting you take over from there!)
PEACE!

salt_life87
Weekend Warrior

Post by salt_life87 »

Cut bait? Really? I've done squid and shrimp but not cut bait for snappers. Ill definitely try that out. Thanks for the tip

Return to “Tackle Help”