Brids dive-bombing my top water lures!

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Brids dive-bombing my top water lures!

Post by cvstrat »

The last few times I've been out the seaweed has been pretty bad so I've been trying to throw some top water lures and the birds have made it impossible.

The first time it happened I actually hooked one in the foot, but it pulled off and sat there for a while before flying off. I really wanna nail a snook on top water but I won't wanna lose a lure or catch a gull.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions on what to do besides not using them?

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Re: Brids dive-bombing my top water lures!

Post by chris21 »

that is rather odd, I have actually never seen sea gulls or pelicans dive for artificial lures or even plugs, have seen them steal freelined live baits close to the surface and have seen them many times stealing live baits off trolley rigs. to be honest if the weeds and birds are preventing topwater plugs from being used then stop using them, that day just isnt the day to use them.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I've had em go after a shallow Yo-zuri and a Rapala at Dania. I imagine a Zara spook would be mauled.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

There's no way to stop birds from being dumb. One day trolling in the Bahamas we couldn't keep the damn boobies off our spread, caught like 5.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

May as well make the best of it.

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

:stupid: almost anything in the water will try to eat something that looks like a injured fish. name it and iam sure at one point and time it has tryed to eat my lure fish the canals i seen alot over the years.

Return to “Tackle Help”