best way to attach sliding bank sinkers?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

best way to attach sliding bank sinkers?

Post by cubapnea »

I cast my own sinkers in shapes of egg and bank and I like to use a bottom rig with sinker slides ,now my question is ...What is the best way to attach that 6/8 oz bank sinkers to the slide, any ideas? I have been using duo lock fish finder slides by hurricane but they are expensive and a little hard to work with... looking for other effective ideas!!

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Re: best way to attach sliding bank sinkers?

Post by Xpierrat »

a plain ole swivel with a loop of mono.... depending on the pound test of line to the pound test of the sinker loop you can have a breakaway rig that some times will get you a chance at a fish where the sinker has become stuck
Rick

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Rick's spot on as usual. My favorite rig is a breakaway slider. I use 5lb mono tied in a short double loop. Tie the main line through a swivel then a bead then to the leader swivel.

http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... ottom+rigs
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by cubapnea »

thanks for both your answers, I will post pictures of my rigs asap.

cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by cubapnea »

this is what I've been using so far, slider with duo lock and three way swivel with sinker pin...I would like to find a braid proof slide with attached sinker pin :pistols:

I will post pictures of whatever I come up with :salut:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Those sliders are better than swivels because they put out less friction on your main line, but they are pricy

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I've never seen the three way with the metal clip for the sinker.

cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by cubapnea »

the braided line will cut thru the white slide overtime specially when handling heavy sinkers and casting far so I'm looking at braid proof slides that will have some tipe of clip on for the 6/8 oz bank sinkers.

oh and the three way with sinker pin is excellent when using live shrimp...is a hog snapper killer at the farito :pistols:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Miamipescador wrote:Those sliders are better than swivels because they put out less friction on your main line, but they are pricy
Jorge, They actually create more friction. The trolly rig guy's don't use em because they don't slide well at all. Especally on lighter baits.
The point about braid is also very true. Braid cut's Mono like a hot knife, & cut's plastic just as good. I've seen Plumbers use Braid to cut hard to reach PVC pipe in walls and slabs.
cub, you ever get cutoff at the hardware?

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

crashmister wrote:
Miamipescador wrote:Those sliders are better than swivels because they put out less friction on your main line, but they are pricy
Jorge, They actually create more friction. The trolly rig guy's don't use em because they don't slide well at all. Especally on lighter baits.
The point about braid is also very true. Braid cut's Mono like a hot knife, & cut's plastic just as good. I've seen Plumbers use Braid to cut hard to reach PVC pipe in walls and slabs.
cub, you ever get cutoff at the hardware?
If the sinker gets stuck it would make sense that the barrel swivel would eat through your line faster, i might be wrong but just think about it

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

they make the slides that are braid friendly ,, the slide is a hard green plastic that has a wider hole,, you can get them at outdoor world

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Been said but, Plain old regular swivel and a loop of mono line has worked the best for me and also is the most practical way as far as cost. I put a bead in the main line and a regular swivel with about a 4 inch loop of mono line, which I can change the weight of the line when I want, I loop the sinker through the loop and fish. When I'm done I can remove the sinker and the loop is there for the next outing, seems cheap functional and practical. I've used the sleeves and sliders but seems I always go back to basics.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Same here Rick. I thought they were a much better way to rig until I used em. I know Mike was using them and went back as well. For me anyway, "kiss" logic works best Keep it simple stupid. The plastic slider may work better on the taller piers, but I still had problem's at Dania so I don't know. Never had a problem with a swivel.
A 1/4 or 3/8 plastic or nylon slider has more surface contact with the line which = more friction. A swivel is what .015 thousandths of an inch+-? Can't possibly have as much. The metal swivel slides freely on the mono or braid much like a nylon bushing replaces the ball bearing's in less expensive reels. But it boils down to personal preference. If ya like slider clips, by all means, use em. I just never had much luck getting them to work well.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

crashmister wrote:Same here Rick. I thought they were a much better way to rig until I used em. I know Mike was using them and went back as well. For me anyway, "kiss" logic works best Keep it simple stupid. The plastic slider may work better on the taller piers, but I still had problem's at Dania so I don't know. Never had a problem with a swivel.
A 1/4 or 3/8 plastic or nylon slider has more surface contact with the line which = more friction. A swivel is what .015 thousandths of an inch+-? Can't possibly have as much. The metal swivel slides freely on the mono or braid much like a nylon bushing replaces the ball bearing's in less expensive reels. But it boils down to personal preference. If ya like slider clips, by all means, use em. I just never had much luck getting them to work well.

Like we all agree.... whatever your preference but a bead- swivel- mono-loop for me is simple and obviously the cheapest way to go.

cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by cubapnea »

thanks you all ...I order some stuff will post pictures when they arrive.

Return to “Tackle Help”