slow lately

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
SD2
Seasoned Fisher

slow lately

Post by SD2 »

It's not been good at all last few weeks, a total lack of river herring is the leading cause.
Did manage to avoid the skunk at least.
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Re: slow lately

Post by Albacized »

Yeah - it's been raining a lot...but the worst thing is the NE winds; they've made the southside of the cape pretty much unfishable due to the 'mung' (brown, thick weeds). I have had some success fishing the back saltwater ponds with smaller stripers (rather slow but at least steady pick of fish). I've been both fishing light tackle as well as with the fly rod - top water has been the best, with small plastics running a distant second.

This past weekend, I tried to change things up and go north to Maine (I live in Framingham, MA - kinda right in the middle of where you can fish the cape or head north to NH/ME)...I got a single 12" striper for my troubles :oops:

Generally, if any of you are heading up here, while the fishing does carry on throughout the summer, we do fall into the 'summer doldrums', where the fishing slows down and it becomes a night thing (unless you have access to a boat and can fish deeper, cooler waters - why do you think I chose mid July to visit south Florida :wink: )...But in Sept, things start to rev up again :pistols: ...My favorite time of year as the fish you guys in FL seem to hate ('bonito' aka false albacore) visit the cape and become a viable shorebound target (I guess they're not so shorebound friendly down there unless you count fishing off a pier). This is not to mention that the big stripers start to migrate south at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct with bluefish in the mix.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: slow lately

Post by fishnfool73 »

If you aren't catching them then they just plain and simple aren't feeding. Still looks like you mananged to stay busy with some. :toast:
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Return to “New England Area”