Northbound, need some tips!

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
swordfish
SHARKER

Northbound, need some tips!

Post by swordfish »

Hey all, as of sunday evening I will be a Cape Cod resident if all goes well for now. I am of course going to take all of my tackle, but wish to ask for advice as to where to fish, what to use etc... A little crash course would be nice. I will be staying in Dennis, MA, and literally 200 yards from the bay, but within easy access to the whole cape, bay and open atlantic! I am excited about it, even thou Ive been warned it dies down when the Nor'easterns start pushing down hard, however ive also been told of football sized albacore and tuna within casting distance of the beach, as well as of course the stripers and blues! Anyway, help me out here lol!

-sword

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Northbound, need some tips!

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I've fished the beaches around Chatham several times, did well at the lighthouse beach and Monomoy Island for stripers and blues, live eels at night on a bottom rig were killer for the stripers, big plugs and spoons will work too.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

takecare of yourself up there juan. gl
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

thx all for the comments lol. Lets see what old winters got in store for me.

-sword

byf
Fisher

Post by byf »

Also check stripers247.com there are a lot of great guys on there.

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

learn the cape cod canal, surf fish the beaches, don't expect to get a tuna or albie without a boat, rarely ever happens, don't overlook tautog at the rocks/jetties, good luck

it's freezing up here bring your long johns lol
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

oh i forgot, check this site out, lots of boatless guys fish the cape cod canal

http://www.newenglandfishing.net/index. ... owforum=20

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Ty bud! Ive been doing fairly well on schoolies... Want to catch a big boy or two, then trout in the winter.

-sword

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

don't overlook the large and smallmouth bass on the cape, lots of 5's , 6's and 7's caught every year during the cold months, they eat all the stocked trout lol

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

I fished Cape Cod all my life and lived in S.Dennis the four years before moving here to Florida. The season up there is fast coming to and end. Friends are still getting fish in the Cape Cod Canal on nighttime tides. Nauset Beach is on again, off again. Keep your eye on Bass River next Spring as there are holdover Stripers there and they get active early. Also, they are taken through the ice in the headwater (Follins Pond) in Dennis.

Couple places you can check locally for reports - Riverview B&T on Rte 28 in W. Yarmouth; a couple blocks west of the dennis bridge over Bass River. Also, for outer cape; The Hook-Up in Orleans. Keep your eye out for meetings of Cape Cod Salties. They are one of the oldest SW clubs in Mass and welcome guests and/or new members. Meetings monthly.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

Return to “New England Area”