Massachusetts trip 2011

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
Ken+
Old Salt

Massachusetts trip 2011

Post by Ken+ »

Sorry guys…I’m sick and it’s been busy catching up on work…so this will be a very brief picture report…I guess that’s a nice change for once…

Here is the fishing first.

Fishing was okay…not spectacular and pretty species poor. If it was just a couple of weeks earlier, it may have been better. I only had a total of 16 hours of fishing time (not including boat travel time) so I guess the results were not too bad. There may have been better chances for Little Tunny from shore and more of a Haddock bite on the boat. It was a transition time so the Cod was winding down and the Pollock has not arrived in good number yet. But the Tautog was there and they were hungry even though I didn’t have any green crabs for bait.

Oct 10, 2011 – Yankee Fleet full day, Gloucester

Boat rental rod: 7', 30-50 class conventional rod stiff enough to fish a 20oz weight, a rusty and jerky 4/0 Penn Senator filled with 50lb mono and frozen clam bait, fished on dropper loop with a 5/0 circle hook about 12" from the sinker

We fished the Stellwegan Bank about 20 miles offshore in 220 to 265 feet of water! That's a long way to crank on a jerky 4/0 Penn Senator!

**Fishing 50lb mono and a stiff rod in 200+ feet of water sucks. Bite detection is basically nil for a newbie to fishing this deep and this heavy! :evil:

Tusk…locally called cusk (Brosme brosme) Species #202

Also caught a Picked Dogfish which the deckhand shook off before I can take a picture :(

New fishing friend who is a proton accelerator senior technician at Mevion

Oct 11, 2011 – Woods Hole Stone Pier

Two rigs:

Rig #1: 7', 30-50lb rated, 1-3oz casting range, 3-piece travel boat rod from TFO, Shimano Cardiff 301 with 50lb Sufix braid, 6 feet of 40lb rub leader tied as dropper loop, 6" of 40lb hook leader to a #8 baitholder hook and a 3oz bank sinker. I fished this rig on bottom or near the stone pier with live sandworms.

Rig #2: 9', 10-25lb rated, 3/4-2.5oz casting range, 4-piece travel spinning rod from TFO, Pflueger Solara 4035 with 30lb Sufix braid, 4 feet of 15lb mono leader tied to a 1oz Kastmaster.

Bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) A little 2lb snapper blue during a blitz on a 1oz Kastmaster!!!

**Casting to baitfish flying out of the water was way cool!!!

Little Tunny aka False Albacore (Euthynnus alletteratus) I actually saw a small blitz out of casting range…apparently we were a couple of days too late…one casualty of the action…

Switched to live sandworms

Scup (Stenotomus chrysops) Caught a number of small ones…they were out of season

Cunner (Tautogolabrus adspersus) Species #203…caught too many of these

Tautog (Tautoga onitis) Species #204…my top shore fishing target and I caught at least 8 of them!

**People say tautog bites are hard to detect...not so for me. They actually clamp down on bait pretty hard. People also say tautog's bony mouths are hard to hook...but I would say all the bites I suspected as a tautog hit I had hooked and landed all of them. I was using a #8 baitholder hook...while most people suggest using larger #2 to 1/0 hooks when fishing green crabs. Maybe the larger hooks are harder for the fish to take in...and the way the crabs are rigged on the hooks meant the hooks are pointed outward and sideways, making hooking the tautog much harder. If you want tautogs, you need to fish way tight to rocks!!!

Stone Pier

Oct 22, 2011 - Yankee Fleet full day, Gloucester

We fished Stellwegan Bank from 220 to 270 feet of water!

Boat rental rod: 7', 30-50 class conventional rod stiff enough to fish a 20oz weight,

My own Daiwa Saltist BG40 filled with 65lb Sufix briad with about 200 feet of 40lb Berkley Big Game mono

Frozen clam bait, fished on dropper loop with a 5/0 circle hook about 12" from the sinker.

**Switching the boat rental jerky, slow 4/0 Penn Senator with 50lb mono to a smooth, 6.4:1 Saltist with 40lb mono and even a little bit of braid fished made a big difference. It took much less time cranking up the rig to change out bait, and the lighter mono + the little bit of braid fished allowed for much better bite detection! If you ever decide to do this, I would recommend even fishing only a 50 feet mono top shot and run braid the rest of it (to please the captain and mates...because tangles are often guaranteed when dogfish are around). If I had used my Saltist on the first trip on Oct 10, maybe I would have caught a few more fish!

**I also learned that keeping the rig on bottom at ALL times increase the number of bites. This is pretty intuitive really, but the captains and mates told everyone to drop the rig to the bottom and then take 4-5 cranks up. I did this on the first trip and the first drift of the second trip. Yeah...the sinker would bounce on bottom occasionally, but it is NOT on bottom! Most of the bites came on bottom for me...and after a while, I decided to ignore what the captain and mates suggested...and made sure my sinker is always on bottom AND NOT BOUNCING! Somehow, I get more bites by doing this. The boat would rock and roll...but I used my rod to adjust to the change in height...point it down as the boat rolled up, and pulling it up at an angle to the side as the boat lowers. This let me keep the sinker on bottom but I still had a tight line to detect even the quickest bite...which got me way more bites and a few more fish than the first trip!

Picked Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) Species #205…these guys get annoying after a while! They twist and circle after getting hook and often tangle up multiple lines. At one point we had a whole school of them under the boat and we had the whole boat in tangles…took an hour to sort that out!

Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) Species #206…my top deep water target! Finally got three on my second boat trip! Two were short…and the only keeper I got was not gaffed in time because the deckhands were too busy untangling line! :(

One inch short!

Two inches short…

And some parts of Boston, Gloucester and Woods Hole through my eyes…

Oct 9, 2011 - Boston

After a bit of luggage delay scare I was finally dropped off the luggage at South Station for temporary storage. It was about 12pm when I started my Boston half-day tour.

Museum of Fine Arts

Old South Church tower

Boston Public Library

Now the start of the Freedom Trail

Park Street Church

Massachusetts State House

Museum of African-American History

Beacon Hill neighbourhood

Paul Revere Burial

Franklin at Old City Hall

Old State House

Faneuil Hall

Quincy Market

Lobster roll and clam chowder

Exchange of the keys

Traffic Tunnel Administration Building and a commemoration of Boston’s mayor

Tudor Wharf (Boston Harbour)

USS Constitution

Bunker Hill Monument

William Prescott

294 steep steps up Bunker Hill Monument…

…to an original cannon and the view that troops saw

Totally tired after walking the Freedom Trail in 3 hours

Other pictures…

Oct 10, 2011 - Gloucester

Gloucester Harbour morning

Gloucester Harbour evening

Low tide

Oct 12 – 21, 2011 – Woods Hole Optical Microscopy Course

Everyday started at 8:30am and most days ended at 11pm at the earliest…with one day we were in the lab working on a problem set until 3:30am. It was an intense course…but as you will see in the pictures, we also had a lot of fun drinking and otherwise.

Beer central

Party time!

Free afternoon at Martha’s Vineyard

Vineyard’s Haven, Martha’s Vineyard

Biking around Martha’s Vineyard

Beach, Martha’s Vineyard…looks soooo fishy!!!

Lobster dinner

My crew

My roommate Andrew’s birthday and his “Facebook Wall” we drew for him…because he hates getting birthday wishes on Facebook LOL

Totally overworked and partied out

Just some Woods Hole scenery

Eel Pond

Gallery by the drawbridge

Someone I'll not forget...that's all I'll say about it...although from Day 1 we have declared everything will be platonic...and we didn't cross any major lines...

It was a great trip! I learned a lot at the microscopy course, I met a bunch of great fellow students, instructors and commercial reps that offers me a great network and I even managed to catch some fish!

I’ll be visiting MA in the future again…there are still some fish that needs to be caught!!!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Massachusetts trip 2011

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Great report and pics as usual :toast:

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

strizile wrote:Your reports are way out there

I actually print them to *.Pdf like the other one with all the species you caught.

Very interesting read and beautiful picture story along with that.

Thanks for sharing
If you compile them into a book, I want royalty :P :lol:

Seriously, that's really flattering. Thanks man! :D

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

damn these pictures made me homesick...except for the fact that its Oct. 28th and they got snow last night, hahah no more shoveling for this guy

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

Being a former Masshole & lobsterman, I am surprised to see a lobster cooked with the bands still on. They tend do add a bitterness to the bugs. I always cooked them on the gas grill, just heat up as many bricks as bugs & use them to lay the tail flat.
Great pics. When in Boy Scouts, we used to do tours of Old Ironsides & got to go for her first unpowered cruise. Majestic !!!
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Ken, Amazing as usual!
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad the pictures bring back some memories for you :D

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

I see you were in my neck of the woods, looks like you had a good trip WTG 8)
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

bart
Fisher

Post by bart »

next time hit the Canal for big stripers. October is a good month there...
"Moisture is the essence of wetness. Wetness is the essence of Beauty"

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Awesome report and great pics :toast: I love the Boston Lobster roll and clam chowda! But I love the micro breweries the best :drunk: :biglaugh:

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Stone pier in Woodshole was once my favorite place to fly fish for albies (false albacore)...but something happened to the fishery when several storms came along and broke apart the end of the jetty (to its current state that you have captured in your photo) and it's really hit or miss now...nowadays, I either hit certain spots in RI or a few cape spots slightly east of that location for some better consistency

Return to “New England Area”