PB Striper!

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
SD2
Seasoned Fisher

PB Striper!

Post by SD2 »

Yes part of me wanted to eat it but i also know how just about everyone keeps them, the illegals rape the undersized fish too, it is not an endless bounty of fish, mostly because bait gets gobbled up by netters to make fish meal for stocked freshwater trout. So there is still a decent amount of big stripers caught in the ocean because of the sea bait like porgies, menhaden and ocean herring but the river runs of shad, alewives and blueback herring are very modest to scarce compared to how it used to be, tidal river stripers are not like they used to be in the 1990's and early 2000's. I used to catch HUNDREDS of them but they rarely exceeded 28 inches, most were between 22 to 27 inches which are great fights at that size but this one I caught last wednesday was 32 inches LOL and everything was against me as my spot had added more docks and put a fence up to the right of me so i had a postage stamp opening to fish from the seawall and I fished for 3 and a half hours of Nothing, finally this fish of a lifetime-for me anyway, hit with about 20 minutes of tide left before it went slack, BOOM, 1st hit and the fish had 5 or 6 strong drag peeling runs, AWAY FROM THE DOCKS, if it ran under the docks i am sure it would of broke off, and because the tide was so high Pat had an easy time netting it. Truly was a miracle, and that is my best striper, i am sure i lost a few bigger in the past but that one wasn't camera shy thankfully. I never catch bluefish in that spot but i have caught a few in FL, go figure.
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Re: PB Striper!

Post by Moose »

congrats man...i had no idea we had those in florida...but then again...i dont know much lol

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Glad to see you are still fishing and posting. Congrats on your biggest bro

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You Sir, are a bad ass. Congrats on your biggest! :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

SD2 wrote:Yes part of me wanted to eat it but i also know how just about everyone keeps them, the illegals rape the undersized fish too, it is not an endless bounty of fish, mostly because bait gets gobbled up by netters to make fish meal for stocked freshwater trout. So there is still a decent amount of big stripers caught in the ocean because of the sea bait like porgies, menhaden and ocean herring but the river runs of shad, alewives and blueback herring are very modest to scarce compared to how it used to be, tidal river stripers are not like they used to be in the 1990's and early 2000's. I used to catch HUNDREDS of them but they rarely exceeded 28 inches, most were between 22 to 27 inches which are great fights at that size but this one I caught last wednesday was 32 inches LOL and everything was against me as my spot had added more docks and put a fence up to the right of me so i had a postage stamp opening to fish from the seawall and I fished for 3 and a half hours of Nothing, finally this fish of a lifetime-for me anyway, hit with about 20 minutes of tide left before it went slack, BOOM, 1st hit and the fish had 5 or 6 strong drag peeling runs, AWAY FROM THE DOCKS, if it ran under the docks i am sure it would of broke off, and because the tide was so high Pat had an easy time netting it. Truly was a miracle, and that is my best striper, i am sure i lost a few bigger in the past but that one wasn't camera shy thankfully. I never catch bluefish in that spot but i have caught a few in FL, go figure.
Your posts are ALWAYS my favorite!

GOOOD stuff... To clarify though, this fish was caught here in the sunshine state?

-Swordfish

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Nice catch... Striper brings me lots of fun memories... Good to see striper pic...

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

swordfish wrote:
SD2 wrote:Yes part of me wanted to eat it but i also know how just about everyone keeps them, the illegals rape the undersized fish too, it is not an endless bounty of fish, mostly because bait gets gobbled up by netters to make fish meal for stocked freshwater trout. So there is still a decent amount of big stripers caught in the ocean because of the sea bait like porgies, menhaden and ocean herring but the river runs of shad, alewives and blueback herring are very modest to scarce compared to how it used to be, tidal river stripers are not like they used to be in the 1990's and early 2000's. I used to catch HUNDREDS of them but they rarely exceeded 28 inches, most were between 22 to 27 inches which are great fights at that size but this one I caught last wednesday was 32 inches LOL and everything was against me as my spot had added more docks and put a fence up to the right of me so i had a postage stamp opening to fish from the seawall and I fished for 3 and a half hours of Nothing, finally this fish of a lifetime-for me anyway, hit with about 20 minutes of tide left before it went slack, BOOM, 1st hit and the fish had 5 or 6 strong drag peeling runs, AWAY FROM THE DOCKS, if it ran under the docks i am sure it would of broke off, and because the tide was so high Pat had an easy time netting it. Truly was a miracle, and that is my best striper, i am sure i lost a few bigger in the past but that one wasn't camera shy thankfully. I never catch bluefish in that spot but i have caught a few in FL, go figure.
Your posts are ALWAYS my favorite!

GOOOD stuff... To clarify though, this fish was caught here in the sunshine state?

-Swordfish
I am answering my own question... He DID post in the New England area... LOL

Regardless, awesome catch bud! Only consolation I'd ever have to leave Florida for your side of the world would be knowing that I could catch bass for a good chunk of the year.

-Swordfish

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Very nice striper and report..

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Congrats on your biggest SD! Hope you're doing well bud.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “New England Area”