carp on the fly!

Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania Fishing Reports and Fishing Information.
big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

carp on the fly!

Post by big_matt_duq »

well after a week of trying different patterns and hook combinations i think i have found the perfect carp fly! only got to try it once but it seems to be the ticket. what a fight on a 6 wt combo! the thing tried to spool me. if anyone is interrested ill post mor info on how i do it and some tips. ill just say that if you like to fly fish you should try for carp. dont go out and buy carp flies, ill show you some patterns that almost anyone can tie with a little experience.

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

Im interested. I tie flies so you can post a picture of the good patern your talking about. Ive tried for carp on fly for a long time now. it'll be nice to get one.
GET THE GAFF!!!

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

i need to take some pictures but ill try to explain. there are three patterns i have been experimenting with. first the only one to actually hook one is you take the yellow terrestrial foam and take a razor blade and fillet it in half. use 1 in by 1/8 strips and tie them facing away from the pionts of a #4-6 treble hook. then loop them back towards the points and wrap them again. the points of the hook should be just poking between the petals you have made. trim it up to look like a kernel of popcorn. i tried this on single hooks and have missed like 10 fish without a single hookup so the treble is a must unless you can get the hook point to ride up towards the sky. the other pattern that i have been playing with is done from white single egg material used for salmon/steelhead. you can make it look a lot like a piece of bread but i still need to refine this one. last is my newest prototype, a really thick marabou similiar to a wooly bugger. this one hasn't been tested yet so im not sure if it works but i think it just may. now when you get to your spot chum with some bread or whatever. then you have to sight cast them when they start coming up like crazy. land it softly like 2 feet in front of them and they will munch it up. if i can get some pics i will but im gonna be pretty busy this week but i think you can get the idea. let me know if you need any more hints.

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

Thanks man i appreciate it. I'll definitely try these patterns.
GET THE GAFF!!!

Crazyhook
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Crazyhook »

I am not a fly tier but got into carp fishing this season and just love it...

had luck with a few different Rainy's patterns ( corn cluster ( take one or two of them off ), the baby crazyfish and yellow wolly buggers.

Do you guys site fosh for them or fish blind? I like to fish shallow waters and look for pufs of dirt which usually shows carp feeding on the bottom...

any pics guys?
Tugs and fishes

Inshore Angler88
Fisher

Re: carp on the fly!

Post by Inshore Angler88 »

yes i do lol this is the best way to spend the summer months. this is absoutly the funnest way to catch carp. me and big matt fish this way alot and its really really sweet.

ill get some better pics i dnt have my digi cam on me

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

thats a crappy pic...lol and that is the old model of fly..kinda the generation 1 or 2. that reminds me i need to start tying for us again. i still havent got to see the new car in person yet..ill be home this friday for spring break so maybe we can get some shootin or something in. it could almost be time to chase some toothy critters in the river...

Inshore Angler88
Fisher

Post by Inshore Angler88 »

for sure hit me up when you get back maybe we can find some walleye or something to go after

Return to “Middle Atlantic”