Outer Banks surf fishing report Thanksgiving week

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Outer Banks surf fishing report Thanksgiving week

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Went up to Hatteras Island in North Carolina for Thanksgiving week to do some surf fishing. The trip was extremely relaxing, but the fishing could've been a little better. Caught a variety of bluefish, flounder, sea mullet (whiting), and tons of annoying dog sharks (they are like the nurse sharks of the north, except they only get to about 3 feet and don't fight at all.) Its great to be able to drive on the beach up there, and I was struck by the fact there was absolutely no garbage on the beach...quite the change from South Florida!

Sunrise over the Atlantic

The camp

Free ferry

Wild ponies, the legend is they came from shipwrecked boats in the 1600s. Now the National Park Service takes care of them in large pens.

Small flounder

Sea mullet...a monster!

A typical surf rig for red drum, striped bass, etc. A sinker slide on your mainline with 6-8 oz pyramid or frog tongue weight, bead, swivel, 100 lb leader, 4/0-6/0 hook with a nice fresh chunk of menhaden or mullet.

I will never complain again about our piers looking like they are going to fall apart.

The Cape Hatteras light house

Our rental house...gotta love the off season, $400 for a week!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Outer Banks surf fishing report Thanksgiving week

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great report and pictures.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

NICE

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

Cool report. Is that pier actually open for fishing? I can see daylight between some of the support post :shock:
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

WhoDey wrote:Cool report. Is that pier actually open for fishing? I can see daylight between some of the support post :shock:
Yep, it's open, if you look closely you can see people out near the end. You can feel that pier shake when your on it from the waves.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

Looks like you had some fun despite the slow fishing :toast:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Thats Avon pier. Rodanthe has been closed for a while now, a hurricane wiped it out and it hasn't been rebuilt.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Haha, I bet. I grew up down there as well, but we usually surf fished as opposed to pier fishing. I have some pictures I should scan some time, me at the age of 5 or so next to a bluefish that was as tall as I was. Thanksgiving Day about 12 years ago we ran into a blitz on the beach, big chopper 15-20 lb blues and 20-30 lb stripers chasing menhaden and speckled trout onto the sand. You would cast a hopkins spoon and if you ripped it fast, hooked up to a blue, let it sink and hooked up with a striper, every cast. We caught fish until our arms were too sore to catch any more, and then walked up the beach and collected our limit of 15-20" trout that were chased up the beach. Great memories.

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”