Not fishing but it's a blast

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Not fishing but it's a blast

Post by kyfisherman »

Well we are in the deep freeeze here in KY, have been below freezing for better part of a month, has snowed 24 of the last 31 days. Been below zero through the nights quite often.

SOoooooo all the water is FROZEn , no fishing for me. So I have been coyote hunting! Have shot 3 in the last few days, the snow pack has them out searching, 2 of the 3 were found in cattle looking for babies, the other one was mousing in a field. It's a blast to call them in!

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

Got another one this evening about 5:30, standing in the middle of a big cattle pasture. With this tough weather they are definitely out searching for food! It was a big male probably about 35#

hoosier daddy
Fisher

sounds like fun

Post by hoosier daddy »

I've been thinking of trying myself. I have never hunted coyotes, do you use recordings or hand held calls?

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

You don't kill them for no reason right?

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

we hunt them because they cost cattle farmers a LOT of money... they were introduced to the area by the state and they exploded in population, way to many for what the land can support so they turn to farmer's goats, cattle, chickens, horses, you name it.

And no I am not Korean I am not going to eat a dog. the state of kentucky has an open year round season on the coyotes, the state even posions them and so on..

soooo for all you who think its ohh sooo wrong, what would you rather see? would you rather see coyotes eating poison and dying a slow and extremely painful death that can linger for a few days, or die instantly from a head shot ?? it's a no brainer to me.. duhh and if we can control them a little bit by hunting, then they won't have to poison them and make them suffer

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

no reason for killing them??? i thought i was done but i'm not this is has kind of got my blood boiling. a farmer here in my area may have a total of 50 cattle, if he loses 3 calves to coyotes, thats about 1800 he doesn't have to feed his family, and most the farmers around here sure won't take no hand out from the government. They farm to support there family, i believe this is what all people used to do, and believe it or not some people still survive that way.

the kentucky fish and wildlife knows there are wayyyy to many of them, or they'd never turn to domesticated animals.

however for those of you who want to know, i do hunt them using electronic callers that are remote controled, however the past few days i have just been watching farmers feed lots, watching for the coyotes to come in to find new born calves.

want to see something brutal, try watching a cow giving birth while 2 or 3 coyotes eat the calf as it is born, then while the cow is down they start eating at her hind end and tear her up really bad, its a sad sight.

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

If there is a need to kill them then it's ok, but don't see the gratification. Just my opinion, no offence.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

well i see there are a lot more you fishermen could learn from the outdoors, it kills me more than anything to see anything wasted. i am huge on conservation, if you all catch a bunch of fish and let them ruin in your fridge or whatever then your not doing good are you, i mean but hunting is nothing like that. there are a lot of animals that are hunted across the states, i guess there aren't many people hunting in florida, wanna talk about stupid, seeing people hunting alligators, you just drive up to them in a boat and pop, they have no chance to even run or anything.

if your set up calling and see a coyote coming, there is nothing that can make your heart beat any harder. that's why i do it, if you don't feel the same thing from something you do from the outdoors then why do it, i mean if you cant get totally pumped over it don't do it.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

well i see there are a lot more you fishermen could learn from the outdoors, it kills me more than anything to see anything wasted. i am huge on conservation, if you all catch a bunch of fish and let them ruin in your fridge or whatever then your not doing good are you, i mean but hunting is nothing like that. there are a lot of animals that are hunted across the states, i guess there aren't many people hunting in florida, wanna talk about stupid, seeing people hunting alligators, you just drive up to them in a boat and pop, they have no chance to even run or anything.

if your set up calling and see a coyote coming, there is nothing that can make your heart beat any harder. that's why i do it, if you don't feel the same thing from something you do from the outdoors then why do it, i mean if you cant get totally pumped over it don't do it.

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

I agree, I don't mean to sound byast. I love hunting, I just hate useless killing. That was my point.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

gotcha agroce, when animals are introduced and aren't natural in those numbers to the enviroment then something has to be done, it would be like me turning lose a billion sharks and watching them take over while all fishermen stand back and smile, yeahhh right! lol

the thing is i won't waste anything, i hunt when i'm not fishing, if i kill a rabbit or whatever it is and don't consume it, that is a waste and that animal to me died a vain death, if it is consumed and benefited from then thats great.

then you have some that sit back and say ohhh i wouldn't kill an animal, but then they eat a chicken sandwich or burger, someone had to kill that so they could eat it so ultimately they are responsible for the death of the animal, thats the way the market works right, bottom line is folks don't waste anything i think, if your catching bait, don't keep 200 when you only need 50 you know, just don't make sense!

hoosier daddy
Fisher

They're everywhere

Post by hoosier daddy »

Wow KY,Me living in your neck of the woods (just outside of Cincinnati), coyotes have really become a nuissance around here. Even in urban neighborhoods there have been reports of pets being eaten, city police depts. have even been involved in controlling problem animals. I consider myself a conservationist and an outdoors man, I see no problem extending your hunting season by hunting nuissance animals, HUNT ON!

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

im with ky and i am glad that the few that started off bashing him have come to their senses. you can bet whatever coyote i see will die a quick death. i know of farmers that loose over 10 sheep a month and you dont think that effects their family. as far as it being useless killing, you obviously are not familiar with the outdoors. when coyotes and wolves are introduced into an area, they eat everything that lives there. rabbits, grouse, turkeys, deer etc. my point is that they have no predators other than man and therefore get out of control. they breed fast and are efficient killing machines. places in the mountains by my house have been crushed by coyotes. there was once deer, grouse, squirrels there and now there are almost no deer there and all you hear is the coyotes at night. take a look at the west, wolves are destroying elk and deer populations. i bet you dont think about the guides and outfitters that would loose their jobs without animals for their clients to hunt. think these things over before you dare to bash someone for killing an animal. now as for gratification, i assume you (agrocee) only hunt deer and maybe turkeys. those are both cupcake species to hunt compared to coyotes and foxes. picture a turkey's eyes and hearing and how awesome it is to call them in and mix that with an animal who may just be hunting you as you hunt him. they are smart, wary, and hunt in packs. this makes hunting them the most heart throbbing animal i have ever hunted. picture sitting in the dark and seeing a set of eyes, thats the lookout/decoy. now you hear the others circling arround you looking for any weakness and trying to decide weather to attack. you tell me that you wouldnt feel pretty good about outsmarting this beast. i would like to second hoosier daddy's congrats to you ky and keep doin what your doing. this puts me into the mood to go out and hunt them so for all you people who think it is a useless or unfair kill, you have inspired me. the next one is for you. ps. if you send me your address i can have the animal shipped to you as to not waste it.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

As far as killing coyotes I could care less in KY as they were introduced there but to slam wolves being reintroduced into areas where they were hunted to extintion by man is wrong. I am so sorry if an outfitter losses a few deer and elk to natural predators that have always been there. When wolves , bears , and coyotes learn that domesticated animals are a food source then they need to be killed I agree to that. Wolves play an important part in weeding out sick and injured animals animals that your outfitters and hunters usually don't take for trophies. So exterminate the predators that prey on the sick and disease runs rampant in the herd and all the animals die. I suppose it is ok to kill all the sharks as they rob guides of valuable trophy fish that their clients may catch in the future? As far as hunting coyotes I have no beef with it though it does not sound to hard to turn on an electronic call and wait for them to run into your sights. Shocking to think that nature had this all working fine for millions of years til we showed up and deceided to introduce non native species into areas they don't belong. The affected farmers should make their voices heard to their elected officals to not do this stupidity again. Coyotes are a problem in 49 of our states as they were introduced and run rampant in the local wildlife as they are smart and adapt quite well to any enviorment. My piece has been said again not judging the hunting of coyotes but to make a statement that it is ok to kill all natural predators so guides and outfitters can make a living I disagree with.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

you make some good points fishinfool73, once they are introduced it is hard to do anything about it, but the bad thing is this. when wolves roamed in their natural state, there wasn't flocks of sheep fenced in, there weren't cattle all fenced in, it's hard for us as people of the 21st century to really even know what should be here and such.. because humans have changed the face of the country so much, once where wolves ruled the mountains farmers now try to farm, or ranchers i should say, there is a balance humans must find with all animals. for example all wild animals prefer to feed on wild animals, thats in their programming but like here where they introduced coyotes it has really screwed up the ecosystem, we used to have tons of rabbit, ground hogs, squirrels, grouse, and turkey. ever since they turned the coyotes lose that has all been on a downhill slide, can't hardly find a rabbit around here anymore. coyotes love them.... and for me to think that letting them poison them because we screwed up is wrong to..

turn on an electronic call and sit and wait? HA Freakin ha ahahha, example would be like lets say you sit on your surf board 300yrds out with a cane pole hooked to a 10# cuda and see how you feel. i guess standing on the pier tossing a line takes tons of nerve hahaa..

for real guys, the whole time your watching one coyote you may have 3 or 4 gettin ready to make you their next meal. it's not the same, when you are hunting you are in their world, you are practically on equal terms, and just because you call them in sure don't mean your even gonna have chance of getting off a shot.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

apologies accepted, I didn't know or I just really didn't think that the people of the forum didn't know how bad the coyotes have been getting in the states around here. Like someone else said when you have a neighborhood watch group targeting coyotes for killing pets there is a definite inbalance.

I guess we all learn something everyday.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

apologies accepted, I didn't know or I just really didn't think that the people of the forum didn't know how bad the coyotes have been getting in the states around here. Like someone else said when you have a neighborhood watch group targeting coyotes for killing pets there is a definite inbalance.

I guess we all learn something everyday.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

The coyotes were a problem when I was in Calli eating peoples cats and dogs in their back yards. They were worried that they would attack a child as they were pretty brazen and had lost all fear of humans due to idiots feeding them.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

yeah some people fail to realize they are wild animals.. i have heard a couple reports of them attacking people and children.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Never said it didn't take any nerve or what ever just going by your descrition of the hunt. Sounds similar to fishing though. I have hunted brown bear in Alaska and that was some scary stuff. I have done the surf board and tarpon thing off the beaches in my younger days also loads of fun. I will agree that your method beats the poison thing hands down.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

thank you, i can't stand the poisoning deal, they put out poison bait and it ends up killing a lot more than coyotes.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

Ohh Rijkaard I wasn't referring to you, I was talking about the people who try to feed them when they come into the neighborhoods.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

Here is a couple pics of children attacked by the coyotes...

An example of what we try to prevent.

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

fishnfool73 i bet you never thought about back in the old times when organized wolf hunts kept populations down have you. when an apex predator is not kept in check they can cause some serious issues. as far as out west, look up some outfitters out west in say colorado, montana, or wyoming. i bet they say wolves are a problem. as far as not killing the old and sick you are partially right if not mostly right. when a big bull or buck ages he reaches a peak. after that his horn size decreases and overall health as well. many hunters look for the annimals when they are at their prime but lets face it... many people end up killing the young or the old animals because they are easier to find and get close too. wolves on the other hand start the winter off by attacking the weakest animals who would likely not make it through the winter. once they have got all the old and young they target whatever they can kill. hunger is a great motivator. when the majority of the young are killed the herd suffers tremendously. you also have to take into account that there hasne always been a multimillion dollar hunting business. there are a lot of people hunting the west which places a great deal of stress on populations. adding more wolves to the mix even further decimates the herds. i am not bashing the wolves in any way... i think they are an awesome creature we must protect... to a degree! we must learn to have a balance to always have healthy populations of all wildlife. as far as the sharks comment, wow. how many post have been on this site alone bashing captains for killing sharks? regardless, that is another issue that i dont feel is really connected. there are stable populations of almost all gamefish. look at the goliath grouper and its comeback. i am sorry that this post singled you out but your post really bothered me as i am sure mine bothered you. i do not want to further bicker about this issue but thought i needed to say this.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

BIG MATT DUG never meant this to seem as if we are bickering that is one of the reasons I enjoy this site. People can disagree about something and not resort to name calling to delittle each other and just have a good debate. We both have an opinion on the matter and aren't that far off of each other. I agree that due to develpment of areas they once roamed the population of animals must be kept in check esp. animals such as coyotes , bears , and wolves that can learn to no longer fear humans and can maim or kill idiots that forget that they are foremost wild animals. As I PM ed to KY I spent 2 years in Alaska and alot of times out in the far bush and got to hear wolves in the wild and there has always been something about them since then that has captivated me. It is just a shame that one day our offsprings offspring will no longer to able to enjoy the beauty and wonder of nature.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

your right rijkaard, the thing that the hunters are left with is this, well at least the ones that are ethical. i will not trap animals, i do not think that it is right to trap an animal in a trap and then walk up to it and shoot it, first off the animal has a broken bone because of the trap and you know he will be terrified when your coming up to him.

other people who try to control them use poison and that in it's fact is very sad. I for one know it's not the coyotes fault thats why I personally don't want to see them mistreated in a trap dying a slow deather or being poisoned and dying a slow death. A one shot ethical kill is what I am after. One shot to the brain and it's lights out. No pain.

the hunters i know that hunt them do so to keep the other methods from happening.

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

Mybe farmers should try and protect there livestock better. Not a farmer myself and can see where it would be a difficult yet possible task. But banks keep there money safe.... Also would rather see them delt with with one quick shot rather than the alternatives... None the less, it's still mans fault. These are animals driven by instinct, not like humans who have the capacity think things out.. all in all a sad but necessary means of population control...

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

not much the farmers can do about it, i mean they own 300 or 400 acres and can see maybe 30 or 40 from their house. all fenced in through woodlands and open fields, no fence will keep a coyote out. the best defense they have found so far is actually donkey's they chase the coyotes out, sounds stupid, but its true.

agroce23
Seasoned Fisher

Post by agroce23 »

Unfortunately theres only one way too solve an over population problem. Out of curiosity, what's done with the remains? Maybe theres potential for a catfishing bait recipe! lol :idea:

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”