Greenup dam, Ohio River 4/10/07 report w/pics

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Greenup dam, Ohio River 4/10/07 report w/pics

Post by kyfisherman »

Been anticipating catching the water in good shape here for over a month now, water was finally down around 19ft this trip, if you seen my first Ohio river trip report, the water was 49ft then, thats right it was 30' lower today. I had heard reports that the hybrid bass bite had been picking up so I decided to give it a try today after a week long stretch of winter with temps in the teens and 20's and 2 inches of fresh snow.

Air temp today.. 57
Water Temp around 50
Sunny skies light wind
Water level 19'
Murky

Pic looking towards Kentucky from Ohio.... Swift water, lots of current!

Started out the day with a Abu 5600 Gloomis 7'3" rod and a 1oz rattle trap. The rattle trap was chrome and blue, thought it was going to do the trick. I caught 2 hybrids with in the first 10 casts. First fish I caught weighed 6lb 15oz. Within the next few minutes I hooked into a 3lb 8oz hybrid that swallowed the bait, I tried to remove it but couldn't so I put it on the stringer to take home and remove the lure later. BAD MISTAKE! only lure I had of that type, casted for the next 90 minutes and nada... one hit on a grub. thats it

Decided to go ahead and retreive my bait, finally got it out and put it on again, immediately hooked up with a 6lb 8oz hybrid. A little while later I hooked into a hybrid that I didn't get in, I would estimate it at over 12#. A real PIG!!!!!!! All in all it was a good day. I took some pics of the fish to share.

This pic was taken in my driveway....

A pic of one of my bigger fish.....

This is a pic of my 2 big ones on the day!!!

hoosier daddy
Fisher

Nice Fish

Post by hoosier daddy »

Are you up river of Cincy, I guess.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

:thumleft: Nice catch KY. Why are they called Hybrid?
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

Yeah I am up river of cincy...

Hybrid bass are half striper and half white bass.... The rivers have been stocked with hybrids for many many years... They make an excellent catch and can really put up a big fight!

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

I don't know much about cooking as some of you know, I did fix these hybrids the other day and they are delicious. I ain't much on different spices and stuff but I'll tell ya what I done and it was very good. It probably wouldn't have won a prize for being pretty but oh well.

I took some nice boneless filets and soaked them in milk for several hours. Took the filets out and rolled them in flour, and fried them in deep oil. Turned out great! Only thing I used was a touch of salt.

My wife fixed her own in some kind of batter she buys at wally world. lol

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

man you got me excited and think about a road trip but then i mapquested it. roughly 282 miles away and 4 1/2 hours. looks like ill be fishin local. lol

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

kyfisherman wrote:I don't know much about cooking as some of you know, I did fix these hybrids the other day and they are delicious. I ain't much on different spices and stuff but I'll tell ya what I done and it was very good. It probably wouldn't have won a prize for being pretty but oh well.

I took some nice boneless filets and soaked them in milk for several hours. Took the filets out and rolled them in flour, and fried them in deep oil. Turned out great! Only thing I used was a touch of salt.

My wife fixed her own in some kind of batter she buys at wally world. lol
Sounds simple and delicious, KY !

Nice fish BTW !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

thanks cookinman,

big matt, a lot of people drive 6 or 7 hours to fish at the greenup dam when the hybrid bite is hott, i've heard people say that on a great day at the dam you can catch over 100 hybrids in the 3-15# range.

frayedknot
KING MACKEREL

Post by frayedknot »

Wow. Only if they had dam's like that in south Florida.

Great catches. Great fun on topwater.

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

Nice fish. Thanks for the pics.

Geography 101-South Florida is flat-we call our dams Spillways-check the posts-lots of fish caught at spillways-big fish too.

North Florida has dams-huge stripers off Lake Talquin dam-60 lbs for the biggest I've heard. Anyone in that area on the forum?

That's a 550 one way trip from sunny So Fla. Not a casual trip. lol

Thanks for your always excellent reports.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

your welcome, yeah i've been all over south florida, no big dams like that for sure, the ohio river has a lot of big dams like that, just so happens that one is 30 minutes from my house, some great fishing there, i'm just learning the ropes down there and it looks like it could be at least another week before i get to go back, rained a lot here today, will have some soon

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

well you let me know if it gets that hot and i might just clear the old schedule.

Notready32
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Greenup dam, Ohio River 4/10/07 report w/pics

Post by Notready32 »

kyfisherman wrote:Been anticipating catching the water in good shape here for over a month now, water was finally down around 19ft this trip, if you seen my first Ohio river trip report, the water was 49ft then, thats right it was 30' lower today. I had heard reports that the hybrid bass bite had been picking up so I decided to give it a try today after a week long stretch of winter with temps in the teens and 20's and 2 inches of fresh snow.

Air temp today.. 57
Water Temp around 50
Sunny skies light wind
Water level 19'
Murky

Pic looking towards Kentucky from Ohio.... Swift water, lots of current!

Started out the day with a Abu 5600 Gloomis 7'3" rod and a 1oz rattle trap. The rattle trap was chrome and blue, thought it was going to do the trick. I caught 2 hybrids with in the first 10 casts. First fish I caught weighed 6lb 15oz. Within the next few minutes I hooked into a 3lb 8oz hybrid that swallowed the bait, I tried to remove it but couldn't so I put it on the stringer to take home and remove the lure later. BAD MISTAKE! only lure I had of that type, casted for the next 90 minutes and nada... one hit on a grub. thats it

Decided to go ahead and retreive my bait, finally got it out and put it on again, immediately hooked up with a 6lb 8oz hybrid. A little while later I hooked into a hybrid that I didn't get in, I would estimate it at over 12#. A real PIG!!!!!!! All in all it was a good day. I took some pics of the fish to share.

This pic was taken in my driveway....

A pic of one of my bigger fish.....

This is a pic of my 2 big ones on the day!!!
those are nice fish! Never fished in that area, how is the fishing?
Fishing IS LIFE

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”