Puerto Rico

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Puerto Rico

Post by kngfshman »

Just got back from Puerto Rico and I've got a lot to say. Well the first night, my dad and I got some frozen ballyhoo to use a cut bait. We fished a bridge with good moving water. There was a light shining into the water and we could see that there were some fish that were making a pass. The guy at the bait and tackle shop said that Horseye jacks always make a pass in the morning and at night so I figured the fish were jack. While I was trying to figure out what they were my reel screamed faster than I've ever heard it in my life. Picked it up, set the hook, started taking me out to the reef which happens to be close in and he must have got his head in because he snapped me clean off. I was putting full pressure but there isn't much you can do when you have a 20+ pound jack on the line when it's got a lot of energy in it. Nothin else that night. The next day, my dad and I went to go book the Marlin charter that we basically went to Puerto Rico for. The owner of the whole fleet said the Marlin have been on and off and the Tuna haven't showed for a good week. So instead we booked an inshore charter for Snook and Tarpon. So the day came for the charter and we had to be at the dock by 5 in the morning. Apparently we had the guide that was on the show inshore fishing techniques when Captin Eric Manino was going for Tarpon In Puerto Rico. That was a pretty good feeling that we had a guide that knew what he was doing. So while the guide was throwing the cast net for live anchovies he told me to put one out on a rod so I did so and instant hook up with a Snook. It jumped off but I put another bait out and I got a Ladyfish. He said he'll keep it for the Marlin trips. So we get so much Anchovies we have two FULL livewells. We also got a puffer fish, a flounder, and a snook in the process in the cast net. The snook, flounder and puffer let go of course. So we get to one of the Tarpon spots. 30 Mins. later I got my first one being around ten pounds. Then my dad gets one around the same size. They were rolling all over the place. Its like they have no fishing pressure. So I figure that we are in a school of small ones so I grab the rod with 8lb. test. Instant hook up and when he jump I knew I was in for it. The guide said thats a 40 pound fish. I got him in after 3 jumps and 15 mins. Got some pics and safely released it. In total that whole day I caught 5 Tarpon, 2 Snook (released), and a Ladyfish. :D My dad caught 2 tarpon one being 20 pounds on 8 lb. test. When we got back to the dock, the boat that went out offshore came back with an 81 pound Yellowfin Tuna :shock: . I got a picture of it and I will post all pics later.
GET THE GAFF!!!

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

awesome

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Sounds like a great trip!
Kizer

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

This is the Tuna the offshore boat caught.
This is a little Tarpon I got under a bridge.
Heres another little one.
Heres the 30-35 pounder I got on 8lb. test.
Me fighting a Tarpon.
Snook 1.
Snook 2.
GET THE GAFF!!!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Cool and Great Pics
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:Cool and Great Pics
ya, awesome !!
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

great pics!
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

lordhell
Fisher

Re: Puerto Rico

Post by lordhell »

Got plans to visit Puerto Rico in 2011 or 2012. Gonna see if those jacks take poppers good. :D Should be fun!

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”