Reel story.

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
threeouncesinker
Weekend Warrior

Reel story.

Post by threeouncesinker »

Funny story.. I was down in the dumps one day and my luck in fishing as well as life was not very good at all. I decided to head out of kelley fishing fleet on or around Sept 11, 2005. I really had not kept my tackle up to date but managed to scrounge up a 7 ft heavy action spinning rod I had bought from Target with some brand name I still do not know. (Def. not a major brand) But it is real sturdy and light and I felt it would do the trick. I then proceded to pull my dead grandfather's old penn delmar conventional reel (over 35 years old) out of the garage and dust it off and splash it with some wd40. Got to the halouver marina about 3-4 minutes before the boat was suppose to take off and asked the mate if they were leaving right away. He said, "No", they were waiting on another party. I went into the tackle shop and bought some el cheapo 25 pound test (Yes the stuff they rip off the tourist with) and when the boat took off..I loaded the old penn reel up.
I used the boat's traditional kingfish rig but did not use a heavy leader, just stuck with the 25 pound mono with a swival..hoping the kingfish or whatever would be blind to it. I caught a decent trigger , then thought the day would be dead. On the second spot the boat went to, we got into a school of big kings that were smoking all around the boat. I pulled in 3 kings I believe that day. One was the pool winner.
SO I would have to say, my el cheapo whatchamacallit rod and that 40 year old penn delmar is my favorite conventional set up. :thumright:

on light line 6969
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Reel story.

Post by on light line 6969 »

have seen some great catches made on,not so top of the line stuff.good job :happyfisherman:

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

my biggest fish I caught off of Anglins was with a shakespeare 2 piece rod and reel combo . I caught about a 17 pound amberjack and I caught about a 4 and a half foot long nurse shark with the same combo . the reel is broke now but I still use the rod to pompano fish.
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

threeouncesinker
Weekend Warrior

Post by threeouncesinker »

GO4EM wrote:my biggest fish I caught off of Anglins was with a shakespeare 2 piece rod and reel combo . I caught about a 17 pound amberjack and I caught about a 4 and a half foot long nurse shark with the same combo . the reel is broke now but I still use the rod to pompano fish.
I believe you.. A shakespeare spinner reel will last you one good size gamefish, maybe two.

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”