Go-to fish recipe?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Go-to fish recipe?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

This part of the forum is pretty dead, so what is your go-to fish recipe, if you have to cook something on the fly?

Mine is simple. Take any white-meat fish (usually snapper), lightly dredge the fillets in a mix of flour, lemon pepper and Creole seasoning. Heat a bit of olive oil and sautee the fillets until golden on both sides and cooked through. Put on the fish on a plate, deglaze your pan with a splash of white wine (I use Vermouth, as it is cheap and will keep a long time in the fridge), and add a couple tablespoons of butter, lemon juice and capers. Pour this sauce over your fish fillets and enjoy.

Simple enough it doesn't cover up the flavor of the fish, but the sauce gives an awesome buttery-lemon touch. The white wine makes it saucier without having to use a ton of butter and calories.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Go-to fish recipe?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Here is my basic grilled fish recipe, perfect for fish tacos using for thicker fillets like permit, cobia, big muttons, etc, it is great on its own too. Put a drizzle of olive oil in a glass dish. Add juice of a lime, a healthy shake of cumin, shake of chili powder, minced garlic clove, salt and pepper. Put the fillets in the mix, turn over to coat. Marinade for about 30 min, not longer or the lime will cook it. Grill over hot coals or a gas grill on high, use a grill pan sprayed with Pam. Turn once, until the fish flakes. DO NOT OVERCOOK.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Mine is very simple...

White meat fish fillets.... 2 lemons over them, some salt, pepper, cooking wine, and crushed garlic.

Bake.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

Quick meal..... take filet and put in bowl with one egg. Garlic/old bay/pepper and put all in pan. Real quick and you get a meal out of it.
NO messy flour. Great for breakfast.
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon, butter. throw it in aluminum foil and throw it on the grill til the pouch fills up with air. I always like to do this the first time I try a fish to really see how it is, then once I'm used to the fish try to cater a recipe to the species.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

The main fish I cook up in my house consist of Snapper, Mahi, Tilapia, and Trout. Of course depending on the fish and size is whether I'm doing filets or whole cooked which my family loves for me to do.

I like to experiment and go with all sorts of methods of cooking and seasonings.

I also use a wide variety of seasoings in moderation to not kill a fish's great natural taste.

For one quick skillet go to recipe which you can use any fish filet ( cooking time depending on thickness is the only thing that varies). Get some Flour ready but not too much in a bowl then take, Cajun if you want some heat, Paprika, Onion and Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Parsely, Italian Seasoning, and Black Pepper throw it in the bowl and stir it into the flour.

Scramble an Egg then dump the filet into the Egg, shake off excess then coat with the flour and seasoing mix.

Heat up the Skillet and melt some butter well enough to coat the whole pan then throw the filets on there and cook through till golden brown. Comes out great and gives the fish a great crust leaving the inside moist and succulent every time!!!

Ill be posting up more recipes once I get a chance since I'm always cooking up different things and love it. Any questions let me know and I will help you out.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Chevy Juan wrote:The main fish I cook up in my house consist of Snapper, Mahi, Tilapia, and Trout. Of course depending on the fish and size is whether I'm doing filets or whole cooked which my family loves for me to do.

I like to experiment and go with all sorts of methods of cooking and seasonings.

I also use a wide variety of seasoings in moderation to not kill a fish's great natural taste.

For one quick skillet go to recipe which you can use any fish filet ( cooking time depending on thickness is the only thing that varies). Get some Flour ready but not too much in a bowl then take, Cajun if you want some heat, Paprika, Onion and Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Parsely, Italian Seasoning, and Black Pepper throw it in the bowl and stir it into the flour.

Scramble an Egg then dump the filet into the Egg, shake off excess then coat with the flour and seasoing mix.

Heat up the Skillet and melt some butter well enough to coat the whole pan then throw the filets on there and cook through till golden brown. Comes out great and gives the fish a great crust leaving the inside moist and succulent every time!!!

Ill be posting up more recipes once I get a chance since I'm always cooking up different things and love it. Any questions let me know and I will help you out.
That sounds pretty darn good with some yellow rice, mariquitas and some mojo bro.

Will have to try it next time i get some good fillets

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

On the fly? Pull out sharp leatherman, cut said fish, eat said fish. Better if chilled.

What I like to do with just about any fish:
fish diced under 3/8"
egg
cilantro
onion (fine)
garlic (fine)
paprika
salt
pepper

Mix it up, make cakes, cook in a bit of olive oil or butter. Brown each side a bit, tastes better that way. I don't have a clue how much I throw in portionwise, it's always different. You can add or delete all items, except for the fish & egg.
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Here goes a simple quick recipe on the skillet once again for any fish filets.

First is first, get the skillet heated up naked (not too hot) because this is a quick recipe and you won't be doing any preparation of the fillets.

Grab some diced up onions, red peppers, and green peppers ( You can find this combo at publix already precut in a container ) Throw them in the skillet and start to sizzle that up. While they are heating up drizzle the pan with some extra virgin olive oil, then season the actual SKILLET with some Garlic Powder, Parsley, Pinch of Italian Seasoing, a pinch of Paprika and a Memphis Style Seasoning or New Orleans, etc any should be fine.

Mix around the Onions and Peppers with the seasonings for a minute or so then SLAP on the filets onto the skillet, drizzle a bit more olive oil onto the fish and cook on both sides till' done. You DON'T want to keep the skillet too dry but want it slightly oiled and with giving the seasoning with onion and pepper's mix time to come together, plus the heat and oil it gives it a nice brown sear to the fish that really makes it taste great while keeping the fish's natural flavor! Give it a shot and let me know, it literally takes minutes.

You can tweak all my recipes to your liking, as I always cook with a strong and certain line of seasonings that always work well together and you could mix and match with no problem as long as you don't over use any one seasoning.

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

nothin like fresh fish!!!..
for a lighter meat fish i usually make cerviche
dice up fish and let sit in fesh lemon or lime juice for an hr in the fridge
now the fun part dice up some of your fav veggies.. tomato onion cukes mix in
flavor with salt pepper and if your like me some hot sauce (sirrachas) or home made picante.. yummmmm

for the mackerals... kings i love to marinate in mojo then grill
i slaughtered some spanish macks last run ..getting my bag limit for several days last nov..
butter in the pan and let it heat up.. then add the fish white wine capers sundried tomato cut up red pepper... now just cuz i like u guys im gonna share some secrets.. if u ever see artichoke bruchetta at the market.. yumm it goes amazing with just about any fish ..
broil fish with the bruchetta and butter atop season with salt pepper and lemon its phucking amazing.....

ok and if u are into going against the grain... BONITO RECIPE>>LOL :chef:
bleed the fish imediately..
cut out bloodline
salt pepper and sear for 60 sec. each side
serve with a sauce made of terryaki fresh minced garlic and hot sauce!!
i know many may be laughing but dont knock it till u try it!!!
every single time i tell my dad im going fishing he asks for "bo-tuna"
he loves the stuff.. and i must admit its pretty damn tasty

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

aluminum foil green pepers,red peppers, on bottom put a nice snook fillet on top put old bay seasoning on snook with butter and lemon, throw onions on top wrap fillet up with foil and toss it on the grill

Katzgar
Fisher

Post by Katzgar »

I prefer corn meal to flour to roll fillets in.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Here is a quick and easy recipe. Go to Korean store buy some Wasabi and precooked seaweed. Cook some rice. Cut fresh fish and place on plate to look perdy.

Picture of Almaco Sashimi
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”