Best Tasting Fish

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
fishinDave07
Old Salt

Best Tasting Fish

Post by fishinDave07 »

What would you guys consider one of the best tasting fish out there and how would ya cook it? Snook, Mackeral, Trout, Redfish, Permit, etc...etc...
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Wow :shock: . Talk about an eye opener!!!! Looks yummy
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Perichois
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Perichois »

Snook,Cobia or Flounder
Tight Lines,Perichois

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

that flounder looks amazing. makes me remember why i love being italian!

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

my great grandparents came over on a boat and both sides of my family are italian. 3 italian grandparents and 1 polish.

chitown61
Fisher

Post by chitown61 »

I love snapper and grouper but truthfully my favorite is triggerfish. They are a little harder to fillet but man they are awesome.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

freshwater cats are good, when it comes to the salt the best fish i've tried so far is dolphin.

I tried red snapper at angelo's steak pit in Panama city, and well it was TOUGHHHHHhh, i couldnt eat it!

chitown61
Fisher

Post by chitown61 »

^^^^ Hmmm thats strange cuz usually red snapper is pretty much cream of the crop. It must just not have been fresh or was overcooked or something cuz I have never had tough Red snapper before. I hope that bad experience dosnt turn you off to red snapper.

And I love Catfish as well. It is probably my fav freshwater fish. Although walleye is pretty good as well.

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

Snook for me anybody got any left over time is going to slow till season starts again.
Plz put back the small ones.

kyfisherman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kyfisherman »

Hey Chi your right, walley are hard to beat... But besides that, we don't have many walleye here where I am and we eat sauger and that is a close relative and they are absolutely delicious..

yeah it would be hard for me to order another red snapper even though i feel it was probably just overcooked. But if i catch a few i'll give em a wirl.

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Some of my favorites.....

1. Grilled Pompano brushed with fresh garlic and butter.

2. Poached Pompano, topped with a Shrimp, Clam, and Leek Cream Sauce.

3. Blackend Dolphin dredged in butter and fully coated with Prudhomme's Redfish Magic. (Only a cast iron pan will do!)

4. Grilled Kingfish Steaks marinaded in Italian Dressing.

5. Jerk Fish....firm flesh best. I'll post the recipe. :D
I say we fish 5 days and work 2

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for them.

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Rijkaard wrote:I love flounder, oven roasted with potatoes and olives :P

I'd like to have that recipe!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for them.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

So many depending on what is around. Cannot call it....
Sometimes, I get in a mood for a GOOD bear battered Grouper Sandwich with a really good Home made tarter sauce.

Scallops almost any preparation ( big ol' handpicked divers scallops Seared MR)

Really nice Tuna - raw

Man, this is tough....IF it swims, basically I like to eat it if I can figure out how to make it taste good.

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Rijkaard wrote:
Dhunter55 wrote:
Rijkaard wrote:I love flounder, oven roasted with potatoes and olives :P

I'd like to have that recipe!
it's not hard, put ev'rything you see in the picture - whole flounder, black and green olives, diced potatoes, cherry tomatoes (just a little bit), olive oil, 3-4 garlic segments, salt and some red pepper - in a pan and bake in the oven at 400 °F for about 30-35 minutes, get a bottle of good white wine and enjoy your dinner :wink:
Looks like a lil rosemary in there too.

Dhunter55
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dhunter55 »

Rijkaard, what other spices do you add?

big_matt_duq
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big_matt_duq »

tried a recipe like that last week with a fresh lake erie steelhead and man was it good. thanks for the idea Rijkaard

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

There are some very delicious fish mentioned above. Some of my favorites are Pompano, Mangrove Snapper and Muttons. I love to eat Snook, but damn, is it hard to catch one in the keeper slot.

However, there is one that has not been mentioned, that in my opinion gives up a mighty fine fillet, mainly because there diet consists usually of crustaceans and shellfish is the Sheepshead.

Excellent eating in my book.

TarponKing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TarponKing »

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG......FRESH SWORDFISH STEAKS!!

Biggest fish of 09'

stormrunner
Seasoned Fisher

best fish..

Post by stormrunner »

Alright guys: a little story then I will tell you what fish gets my vote.
I decided to take my brother fishing in Bimini on my 20' Dusky. Ran across and pulled up to a set of GPS#s in 400' that i had not fished for a year. As I pulled over the #s the bottom was just full of fish. I had my brother break out a rod (he chose a new 25lb spin) we baited up a chicken rig with cuda chunks. I pull back over the #'s and tell my brother to DrOp. He hits the bottom and is "oN" before you can count to 10. He is stuggling for 10 minutes and finally gets his catch to the boat. He dropped 5 hooks and brought up 3 fish: a large yellowtail,queen trigger,and a big black snapper. We pulled fish there and out to 800' till lunch time. I put the boat into shallow water by Great Issac light and broke out the grill. We cooked Jumbalaya rice with pieces of Grouper and Black Snapper, and washed it down with a cold brew.....
***My VOTE: BLACK SNAPPER!***
Do the right thing and forget about it no one needs to know - just you.

gonesharkfishin'
Old Salt

Post by gonesharkfishin' »

pina colada nurse shark is on the top of my list
Got Sharks?

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Re: best fish..

Post by SnookMook »

stormrunner wrote: ***My VOTE: BLACK SNAPPER!***
stormrunner--When you say Black Snapper are you refering to Mangrove Snapper/Gray Snapper? Or are you referring to Blackfin Snapper which are caught in deep water such as the area you were fishing?

stormrunner
Seasoned Fisher

fish

Post by stormrunner »

Hey SM: I was talking about the bahamas deep water black snapper that are ice cold when you reel them up...very very very tasty.... like tilefish without the mercury......
Do the right thing and forget about it no one needs to know - just you.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

It's funny, the more I think about it, I just love fresh caught/just barely iced down fresh fish. A friend of mine, I should say good friend, stopped by tonight and dropped off some Pompano he caught on his post holiday days off from Sebastian Inlet. One side was a meal by itself. I saved the rest for me and my girl. She loves Pompano. I owe my buddy a swap or a round of beers for that one.

Yum, yum. I must say. :toast:

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

I've only been in FL for a couple months but, am having almost as much fun cooking new (to me) fish and really like Pompano and Grouper. But, I'm still partial to New England Cod and Haddock.

Mom's Christmas Cod

1 lb. fresh codfish, skin on 1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
4-5 Tbs. butter, melted 1/4 cup sl.almonds, crushed
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley Juice 1 lemon
olive oil

Drizzle lemon juice and olive oil over fish. Combine crackers, melted butter, parsley and almonds together. Spread crumbs mixture over fillets. Bake @ 250 degres for 20-22 minutes, depending on thickness.
Done when fish flakes w/fork.

Serve with roast potato and pickled beets and a nice Chardonay.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

Capt. Wallace
Fisher

Post by Capt. Wallace »

I have many favorites but the few that stand out are Triple Tail (cook em anyway just dont burn em) Cobia on the grill Snapper and grouper throats marinated in italan dressing and grilled Triger fish dredged in extra virgin olive oil and then rolled in italian breads crumbs then bake

And the captain wallace special is I will take a flounder scale it cut the head and tail off then take the fillet knife and fillet it inside out. I remove all the bones except the few around the sides (those pull out after cooking) this is done with out cutting the skin so you have a great pocket to be stuffed with......... Get more italian breads and egg extra virgin olive and cook on stove then throw in shrimp or crab meat(claw meat is best ) then stuff that pocket, tooth pick off the ends and bake at a low temp untill ready to serve(i never pay attention to the time or temp just look at the fish)
In costa rica i had my first snook (the local that paddled me around the river cooked it so it was fantastic) and ate marlin for the first time which was excellent.

Almost all the fish that swim are excellent and most of them are good raw
Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter.

Crazyhook
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Crazyhook »

Cold water crappie through the ice, 2-4 pound walleye, grouper, dolphin, yellow perch
Tugs and fishes

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Grouper. Breaded, fried, baked, or in a sandwhich!

Also, I cannot resist some MI favorites...a basket of freshly breaded lake perch, or grilled/smoked Michigan salmon.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

A nice fat Grover or Mutton always works. Dolphin is probably my alltime fave, but when I was in Wisconsin my fiance had me try the lake perch and oh my god was that stuff good. All you could eat. She had to roll me out of there.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

mikeypbg
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mikeypbg »

Rijkaard wrote:
this is my favourite overall fish - mediterranean sea bass

Is that the same as a Branzino?

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”