Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
Post Reply
User avatar
Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Miami

Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Stuck in traffic today along the airport lakes I saw a big school of bait and nervous water. I watched it closely trying not to rear end the truck in front of me and saw a HUGE swirl and what looked like the back half of a 30-40lb poon busting on the bait. I recalled seeing a "FS Reeltime" or some fishing show where they caught snook in that lake. Are there tarpon too? I know what I saw, just need confirmation cause I'm still in disbelief.

User avatar
gruntking
LUMBER-JACK
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: miami broward west palm

Re: Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Post by gruntking »

yess they are in there snook tarpon bass the whole nine bud
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

User avatar
Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Cool, haven't fished freshwater here. SoBe is closer and the poons are always there and bigger. If I ever get the desire to catch small fish maybe I'll check it out. Lol!!!!!!!!!!! Moreless a tip for you freshwater guys who already didn't know. Go toss a skitter walk on 10 mono and keep your fingers crossed!

User avatar
swordfish
SHARKER
Posts: 2333
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Palmetto Bay
Contact:

Re: Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Post by swordfish »

ALL the canals in miami hold, even the shallow ones... I have seen canals inland (at least 50+ miles) that hold schools and schools of snook in crystal clear water, and with them tarpon as well...

-swordfish
Image

Crusader84
Fisher
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Re: Freshwater tarpon in airport lakes?!?!

Post by Crusader84 »

I saw some guys a week ago fishing the shoreline right next to the highway. Not sure how they got in there walking, but I have a good idea where they started.

Post Reply

Return to “Dade County”