Rickenbacker 2009 -10-11-12-13-14-15 Fishing Reports Only

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Rickenbacker 2009 -10-11-12-13-14-15 Fishing Reports O

Post by Old School »

sweetmerlin wrote:I couldn't make it early today because I replaced the broken guides on my rod and the epoxy still had to set. So I went to the Rick between 5 and 7PM.. I worked the white crappie jig to see what the mack bite was like at sunset.. On my third cast, I saw a dark silhouette swim very fast towards my jig.. and then my line started peeling and the drag screamed like crazy.. The fish was fusiform and had the form of a mackerel.. so I thought I hooked up to a King or a gigantic Spanish Mack.. or maybe just a Bonita. After it ran for a bit with the drag on, I tried to bring it closer but before I could even see a color or a hint of what it was, the fish let go and I saw it swim away.. :mad: :mad: the hook on my crappie jig was seriously bent to an almost 135deg angle.. I cursed the darn crappy hook and tossed couple more casts to see if I could get another bite but nothing happened. I can definitely tell that this fish (whatever it was) was bigger and faster than the 21" Mack I caught last time..
Something like that happened to me at the Rick about three years ago. I tossed a sidewinder jig wayyyy out. As i let it sink for a few seconds it was taken on the run and my drag started screaming for mercy. Half of my line on the spool pealed off in seconds i was thinking i'm going to get spooled when the hook pulled free.

You better start bringing a net with you Merlin.

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

I will get me a net one of these days =D but first thing first... I want to learn to tie my own crappie jigs so I can put a sturdier hook.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

go to the bass pro fly shop, i tie my own. very easy. you need a vice, a scissor, special glue, malibu i think the material is called and then the fuzzy white cord, and some white thread and you are good to go

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

On line fly shops have everything you need as well. Quite a bit cheaper than BP. I make em with my grandson. I got my first batch of stuff from rob762 and been fixing and making my own jigs ever since ever since.

Powder coat is also pretty easy with dip cups. And dip cups are stupid easy to make. Aquarium air pump & tubing, PVC fittings, and a couple coffee filters.

Then you can color and tie any head, ball, or buck tail jig for pennies on the dollar compared to retail.

eBay has unfinished jig heads in every size and shape.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

Thanks everyone for your input regarding fly tying materials.

Tied my own jigs using walmart hallmark craft materials and then some (gotta love walmart) using a sturdy hook. Two versions. First version is the same as the white marabou crappie jig with three strips of flashy teasers. Second version is a secret but basically looks like a speck jig. Only made one of each because I wasn't sure how well they'll work.

Custom tied jigs made a world of difference.

Went to the Rick to test them out. Water was choppy, milky green with seaweed, it was windy as hell like SE16 mph but all the Mack regulars were present (and for a good reason). Tested out the first version. It was very sturdy and I caught three Macks with it. Managed to entice lots of strikes from decent Macks.. some were 19"+. (I got hit with a giant Mack again but the hook didn't set) They teased the jig but never bit it and I wasn't smart enough to set the hook on them when they hit. After I pulled the first two Macks and lots of strikes and pull outs.. the thick thread that envelops the body got shredded to hell.. but whatever.. I kept tossing it for fun and.. I landed the third Mack with it.. and the body materials got completely torn and just fell out... Verdict: First version was much sturdier than the white crappie jig and worked very well.

Time for the second jig. I had a lot of confidence with this one because I knew the materials on this jig would entice Macks to bite. Tied the jig and tossed it out. Two seconds later while the jig was dropping it gets taken up and my line peels. Brought in the fourth Mack but alas it shred all the materials to smithereens and made the jig useless. RIP Number Two. Verdict: This is now my goto jig. Gonna tie more of this one but with a sturdier construction.

Tested out a bunch of other lures.. (i had freshwater soft plastic swimbaits, shads, and some surf spoons) these didn't work at all. The Macks were simply not interested in these. Tossed out the white marabou crappie jig and landed the fifth (smallest one) Mack. Of course, I get lots of strikes with the crappie jig and the usual story of hooks getting bent.. etc..

All in all it was a fun day out... catching Macks with jigs I tied. All the bait regulars went home with at least two Macks. Some got 4-5 Macks. Lots of Macks came over the rail and I didn't bother counting them because of the excitement my jigs generated. I don't know what size the hooks I used are.. but they are twice the size of the regular crappie jig. They are much sturdier and once set on a fish, I don't have to worry about the hook getting pulled out because of bending etc..

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Nice report and macks! I can say that report after report youve steadily put in the time and have been rewarded handsomely...you keep at it and im happy that its paying off for you..a lot of ppl just give up..the rick isnt an easy place to fish and not as rewarding, but if you put in the time, you can show what time and effort looks like! Love your reports bro! :)

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Congrats sweetmerlin! :toast: Excellent job as always! :thumleft:

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Soon you'll have to start targeting edible fish magic man now that u mastered macs

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

Thank you all for your kind words. :toast:

Edible fish as in Pomps? (tommy

Jared, you'll have to show me your tricks :happyfisherman:

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

My family loves Macks. That's why I am only targeting them at the moment. We cook it in four different ways:

1. whole chunks of approx 5", marinated in spicy soy seasoning and radish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp4tO6j ... olZm8ZARp2. This youtube clip used Chub Mack but it also works on Spanish Macks.

2. braised in teriyaki https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xrqxg- ... OhFRn4biR6

3. fillets of Macks caught the same day, seasoned with salt, lemon pepper, garlic pepper, wrapped in paper towel for 5 hrs in the fridge to remove moisture, covered in lime juice or extract then battered with corn meal and fried. Cooking this way removes strong Mackerel fishy taste and it's very tasty.

4. Breaded chunks.

I learned from forum, online, other experienced fishermen that it's best to throw freshly caught Macks into the cooler right away into a sea water brine + ice. The cold causes the blood to pool into the organs and thicken there so when you fillet the fish, the fillets don't come into contact with blood unless you cut into the gut and gills. I gut the Macks, remove the gills, wash out the blood in water first and then fillet them.. I never get the fillets contaminated with blood this way. This saltwater brine really works wonders and removes any strong fishy taste from the Macks and keeps the fish really fresh.

Alternatively, you can remove / slash the gills when they are fresh caught so that the blood is pumped out.. then you can gut it and toss it into the cooler but this is too cumbersome for me while out there fishing. Who's got time for that? You wanna keep tossing your lures out when you're fishing out there. LOL :reeling:

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

a great trick for all fish but especially nasty ones like macks, brine them after you fillet them for 10 to 15 minutes in ice cold water and a lot of salt. it pulls all the blood out. but theres fish like snapper and grouper and dolphin and pompano and african pompano and wahoo and tuna and snook and sheepshead and redfish....that taste good no matter what you do to it

sweetmerlin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sweetmerlin »

Yes, Jared!

Ahhhhhhh, I miss grilled grouper and snapper. I used to have them almost every week when I was in Senegal >_<

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

Shrimp ran hard yesterday around 8 . A lot people filled their cooler.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

sweetmerlin wrote:My family loves Macks. That's why I am only targeting them at the moment. We cook it in four different ways:

1. whole chunks of approx 5", marinated in spicy soy seasoning and radish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp4tO6j ... olZm8ZARp2. This youtube clip used Chub Mack but it also works on Spanish Macks.:
Chub is the newest name I have heard for these fish. They were definitely fat boys.
Thanks for sharing that. It really shows me how the seasoning is made.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

Everyone believes you cannot freeze Spanish Mackerel, but if you do it right and keep them in a chest freezer at 5 degrees below zero or lower they will taste like fresh fish even a year later. I don't use vacuum packing, since you cannot achieve a perfect vacuum with a home device. Instead i submerge the fillets under filtered water (No chlorine) and squeeze out any air bubbles and excess water in a pint size freezer bag. Then i pack the bags in a tray tight against one another after drying excess water off the exterior of each bag. When the water freezes the ice will expand and push against the other bags. This results in bags with flat sides that makes storage much easier. Pint size freezer bags are hard to find in retail stores, so i buy them online. If you try to use quart or larger freezer bags the process of removing the air bubbles and excess water becomes very difficult.

Frost free freezers are not suitable for long term storage of fish or meat, since these type freezers raise the temperature daily (Twice daily in most frost free freezers) to slightly above 32 degrees to remove the frost that builds up. This temperature fluctuation is the main reason IMO why frozen fish do not retain their taste, especially for more than a couple of months. I also believe leaving chlorine in the water also damages the taste. I have given frozen fish to several friends over the years and they all are amazed how good the fish tastes. They agree with me and said they could not tell the difference between fresh and my frozen fish. However, their are several species that do not freeze well. These are species that are not oily and have a delicate sweet taste like pompano and hogfish. I do not freeze these fish but eat them fresh.

The reason i freeze fish is that i do not fish that often and when i do have a good day I'm forced to freeze or give away most of the catch. I also have relatives who spend summers in Miami for a couple of months per year, and this gives me an opportunity to share fish with them that i have caught during winter.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Old School wrote: I don't use vacuum packing, since you cannot achieve a perfect vacuum with a home device. Instead i submerge the fillets under filtered water
Well...
I first used it when i went fishing with Yuri 4 plus years ago. I tell you worth the -$1000.00 if you do plenty of hunting and fishing

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

If I wanted frozen fish I'd buy it

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Rare wrote:
Old School wrote: I don't use vacuum packing, since you cannot achieve a perfect vacuum with a home device. Instead i submerge the fillets under filtered water
Well...
I first used it when i went fishing with Yuri 4 plus years ago. I tell you worth the -$1000.00 if you do plenty of hunting and fishing

NIceeee that would be great for deer meat.. i agree with jared tho no froze fish for me. It ends up just sitting there and forgetting about it then gets thrown away. But everyone has there preferences
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Well, when you do a DT trip and have a $hit load of fish.....it's a different story. I mean we are not talking about 1 or 2 fish here and there you know

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Well, when you do a DT trip and have a $hit load of fish.....it's a different story. I mean we are not talking about 1 or 2 fish here and there you know

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

To freeze fish you have to catch enough that you don't eat it all in one meal.... (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Or you can just give most of it away. Why eat frozen fish, when you can eat it fresh.

Vacuum sealing does make a hell of a difference though. I primarily use mine for bait, but the difference is quite obvious. Those commercial units seem to be in a different league.

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

None of my frozen fish goes to waste. I date and Id all of the packages and always consume the oldest before more recent catches. Occasionally out of curiosity i cook fresh fish alongside some frozen of the same species, and i can never tell the difference, so i know my method is "spot on".

I own two boats but fish from shore more often for the exercise and getting out of the house, since I'm retired. When i do launch one of my boats its normally a serious fishing quest; In other words i often achieve the recreational limits which is not hard to do these days, since the limits are quite small for many species for a solo fisherman like myself. For example, one day i caught the legal limit of two kingfish in just seven minutes after i dropped lines on the edge just after sunrise at 7:30 am. (Double header) Then i went after a different species like mackerel or a grouper.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:stupid: My frozen tuna is still sushi fresh months after the deep freeze. Normal fishing trips the fish is generally eaten fresh or given away but Cali or Tugas trips the fish gets frozen for future usage.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Well not all are fortunate enough to take that trip lol :toast:
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

miamicharter wrote:Hi Everyone :happyfisherman:
Miami Charter Boat
Take me out on a day you arent booked to see if you are the real deal. I will post a great review and recomend you to everyone

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Jarred is that not you in the pic? Nice fin by the way...small but nice! :toast:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

damn jared great job on such a majestic fish
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

What fish? That's my shirt

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

HJared wrote:That's my shirt

Joe, I now can confirm with that statement that someone is indeed with him and fishing with him.

Return to “Dade County”