Newport Fishing Pier 2013-14-15 "Reports Only"

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
Dalton Fury
Fisher

Re: Newport Fishing Pier 2013 "Reports Only"

Post by Dalton Fury »

Fished 7/28 from 430-8. Not much happening, had a tough time catching bait with my sabiki and anything taking a look at my kastmaster or jig + gulp was too small to hook. Saw some cuda and big jack crusing through scattering the thin amount of bait early on. Saw probably three small runners caught off the end. Any advice on parking? Only lot I saw close was 15 bucks which is highway robbery (literally, it's next to 826)

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

[googlevideo][/googlevideo]Any reoprts from the newport pier?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Dalton Fury wrote:Fished 7/28 from 430-8. Not much happening, had a tough time catching bait with my sabiki and anything taking a look at my kastmaster or jig + gulp was too small to hook. Saw some cuda and big jack crusing through scattering the thin amount of bait early on. Saw probably three small runners caught off the end. Any advice on parking? Only lot I saw close was 15 bucks which is highway robbery (literally, it's next to 826)

park at winn dixie take the long way home
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Park in the parking lot its like 1.75/hr...gets full but mainly with tourists and beach go-ers...if you wait your turn you should have a spot...just send someone with some gear to lock down your spot on the pier and wait for parking...

any who...went there last week..cant remember when...tue or wed....we has planned tio catch bait beforehand since there wasnt much around the pier last time i went...so we hit up the rick for about an hour and loaded up on some quality pilchards...

we got there at 1030 to be told they now close at 12am...bummer

ended up hooking up to a 5-6ft reef shark of somekind on my 16lb setup...no wire..40lb leader....took half an hour to get him pier-side...you're not allowed to beach a fish there and the cops are very strict about it...so after i had the shark lingering for about 10 min i just got tight and popped the leader...first big shark for me...

went to my snapper hole after only find no snapper....but my line got tight and drag peeled on a big dead pilchard....4ft nurse shark...on 10lb test...no wire..20lb leader...another 30 minute battle..but this one we got out and snapped a pic before he went back in...i'll try and get a pic up once i edit it...the pic shows where my spot is exactly pretty much...

cant wait for the fall run

cudaking305
Old Salt

Post by cudaking305 »

The cops aren't that strict over there me and my buddy put a 100lb ray on the beach the cop said do the right thing, he was referring to cutting the line and releasing it and not killing it or trying to get the hook out. I had 100lb+ tarpon straight up and down walking to shore and the lifeguards saw me from hookup and saw me walking it and they tried helping me by clearing out the beach. Considering the fact that I was there pretty often in the summer they know who I am.
Fishing all day everyday

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

this was at night and the cop told me straight up." cut the line, theres no fishing on the beac"

hardcorefisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by hardcorefisherman »

the cops there are pretty nice, the problem is that many people that live there call them and pretty much force the cop to either tell you something or kick you out. i usually go there to catch bait and most of the cops do not really care, but after many people complain they will be tell me to leave.
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. :(

hardcorefisherman
Weekend Warrior

Post by hardcorefisherman »

agonzalez0 wrote:this was at night and the cop told me straight up." cut the line, theres no fishing on the beac"
i had someone call the cops on me because i was catching bait, it was pretty much 8 am. the cop told me i could not fish from the beach and said that throwing a net was the same as fishing with a rod :scratch:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. :(

humbleaslamb
Fisher

Post by humbleaslamb »

Went there around 530pm (high tide) on Saturday. Lots of snapper and sardines around the pier. The amount of sardines there was crazy. Got a chance to see some dolphins. Water was pretty flat. Caught a nice Mangrove. Plenty beginners on the pier as well. It was nice to see them honing their skills. When summer is over this pier should have a lot of action.

angel
Fisher

Post by angel »

I was out there a week ago no bait in the form of pilchards or spanish sardines. Saw allot of mullet swimming through if you could reach the dark mass with a spoon you would catch a bluefish every time. My freind lost a snook under the pier he was using a small blue runner for bait. there were some huge ladyfish there also they were fun to catch.

ricky9
Old Salt

Post by ricky9 »

Fished last night from 7-945pm. Between 3 of us and 6 rods we didn't catch anything. Some guys at the T caught a bluefish or two and one guy next to us on the corner of the T hooked up two bonefish lol. Real shallow tide the whole night.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

Report 12/1

Fished the late afternoon 4-6pm. I caught 9 Spanish mackerel and kept 6 using crappy jigs 13-17". I lost a lot more to cutoffs and pulled hooks :? Everyone else seemed to be doing well on spoons and various jigs as well.

Report 12/2

Me and a buddy went in the late afternoon from 4-6pm. We got 13 keeper macks between the two of us on crappy jigs, bucktails, and belly strips. The macks were a bit on the small side today.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

Report 12/3

The macks are still around. I fished from 3-6pm and got my limit by 5:30 all on crappy jigs. The fish were relatively small about 13-18" One managed to dehook itself and give me a petty decent gash on my foot. :cheese: Battle scars lol. No more sandals on the pier for me. Also saw a small cobia caught.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

Report 2/3

Fished from 10am-6pm
Wind from the SE 10-15mph, murky green water, mostly sunny.

First couple hours real slow. Then fishing Picked up in the afternoon.
There were plenty of pinfish and some finicky herring around. Had some fleas out for pomps, but no dice. Saw a guy lose a possible slot snook while waiting for a pier net. I got hit under the pier on a live pinfish but I was too far away. :(

A school of medium sized jacks made an appearance for about 20 min. A couple were caught. Saw a Massive cuda eat a 5 lb jack that my buddy was fighting in two bites :shock:
I hooked something nice on a crappie jig and nearly got spooled (6lb test/2500 size reel) but then my Albright knot failed :oops:

Macks were in and out all day, only staying for a few mins at a time and then disappearing for a while. I managed to get 12 macks 12"-20" on crappie jigs. I kept some of the bigger ones and let go the smaller ones.

All in all it was a pretty nice day at the pier. Its nice to have fish in the area and biting for a change. Much better than the last couple weeks.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good day overall
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Corona N Lime
Fisher

Post by Corona N Lime »

Sounds like fun. I will be out there tomorrow early.

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Thanks for the report,Still trying to find the time to get out there.
Anyone,whats the parking situation there like.

wzi
Fisher

Post by wzi »

parkslopecrew wrote:Thanks for the report,Still trying to find the time to get out there.
Anyone,whats the parking situation there like.
the parking its 2 dollars per hour or if you park at the newport parking its 15 dollars the whole day (no in n out)

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

Good day today. There were macks, jacks, blues, pomps and snook caught. If you had live bait you got hit plain and simple. I must have netted at least a half a dozen macks today in the 5-8lb range. Chilly 20 knot winds from the northeast churning up rough murky seas all day made for some fantastic fishing.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

How do I get to this Pier from Fort Lauderdale?
I am curious enough to check this place out.

-kblue

daplural
Weekend Warrior

Post by daplural »

Take 95 South, exit on 163rd St and head East towards the beaches. You'll run right into it.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

On 3/28, I went to actual Bal Harbor Inlet instead of Newport Pier as one of my buddies recommended. I could see the pier from the inlet.
The inlet was another amazing place to fish and the entrance was totally hidden by Hotels. There is no way to know this place without someone telling.
I am sure all locals know this place very well.

It was so windy, about 15 ~ 20 Mph. I saw about 4 people with 15 rods catching Pompano with live fleas at the end of pier. They were killing Poms. Waves were over and I got totally soaked. But I was curious enough to check out the place. Strong current. 8 Oz barely stayed bottom. I used live shrimp and managed one decent Pom. But live fleas were very quick... Someone told me those guys filled the cooler.

Later, I also checked out places under the bridge. I saw some poons around waiting for shrimp running. One guy caught easily 10 lb jack. I saw two hits by poons, both jumping out of water. I realized this place must be one of greatest fishing spots I saw. I didn't see anyone catching snook though. I am sure snook must be there.

I would appreciate any info on this inlet. ( I don't recall seeing any thread about it neither)

-Kblue

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

that is haulover inlet, sounds like you caught it on a real good day.

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

lkatze2 wrote:that is haulover inlet, sounds like you caught it on a real good day.
:stupid:

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Have not been there in more than 2 years. Not sure if it is still the same but after the bridge facing the jetty about 100' down from the bridge be careful setting anything smack in the middle of the channel. Current will rip any sinker with it anyway but there used to be a large net stuck in the middle that was a sure sinker eater.

Again not sure if that is still the case.

Good spot to cast from is all the way at the end of the jetty and casting in the extension of the jetty. The little area behind the jetty is calmer and sometime some big cudas hang out there waiting for something to get flushed in.

Some other great fish to catch at haulover such as Permit and I have seen HUGE mutton come up there once which I thought you only find in the tugas that size.

Snook yeah but just drifting your offering down the channel or also top water lures work well.

To crowded for me tho the whole thing
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Oh and when the bait is running a sabiki will load you up in not time.

Rare and me went there for bait one day and we got plenty as did others
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

STRiZ

Thank You for the info.

-Kblue

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

Hit Newport up today ( 4/16/14 ) briefly.

Hung out from 11am till 2pm.

Walking up to the T a couple regulars suggested I go home because the day was too slow. It was, although the water seemed perfect for Jacks and Mack. Very strong wind from the north. Ended up leaving with 5 decent blue runners. Saw the occasional cuda, but not much else, not even any snook. I was also the only person catching anything, oddly enough.

I tried jigs, spoons, gotchas, yo-zuris......hell I even whipped out the old cuda tube. Nada!

The restrooms were closed btw.

I also had a rude awakening trying to find bait. I hadn't been back to this pier since it was closed for so long. I used to buy my bait on 163rd just before the bridge. To my surprise they knocked it down and built a highrise where it was...../sigh. Fortunately, Halover wasn't that far off.

Fyi: The security dude who charges admission to the bridge ONLY takes cash.

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

Hit the pier again today from 10am till just after 2pm.

Bait was around: threadfin hearing under the T, huge ones too, and ballyhoo were hanging around the north side of the T.

The bite however, was non-existent. A small school of huge tarpon kept patrolling around the pier, I'd guess waiting for someone to start cleaning their fish. And of course the usual cudas hanging out under the pier.

Least I was able to load up on ballyhoo and hearing for another run later on in the week.

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

good to know that bait is around. you were using Sabiki to catch the bait or netting from the beach?.

Return to “Dade County”