Pompano migration?

Boatless Fishing Reports for Dade County, Miami Beach
hugehail
Fisher

Pompano migration?

Post by hugehail »

This seems like a bad sping for Ponpano. When are things going to pick up? We are expected to have east to northeast winds from
Sunday through next week. I know that southeast is a better wind for pomps but will east to northeast bring any in?

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Pompano migration?

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

So far they've been biting from what I've been hearing down in my end. But Southeast is preferable because of the migration back North. But I wouldn't doubt that they would bite with a Northeast wind as long as that water is murky green. Funny you should mention, i thought about giving it a try, but work conquers all! Lol... I would give it a shot if I were you. Good luck

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

if i am catching them at Bill Baggs... poop aint bad at all my friend. just gotta go out there

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

You can catch pomps at Bill Baggs? I didnt even know surf fishing was allowed down there. Where do you park? Do you fish in the surf there on the east side?
k5523915 wrote:if i am catching them at Bill Baggs... poop aint bad at all my friend. just gotta go out there

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

they dont allow surf fishing. and i dont target pomps in the park. but i always use shrimps as bait and accidentally, and consistently catching few pomps here and there, during strong SE winds days. it just goes on to tell you that, if I can catch them in biscayne bay, i am sure the pomp bites are fire in other places where you surf fish

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

Where do you fish then if they dont allow surf fishing? A pier down there? That is a real shame that they dont allow surf fishing. Im trying to learn as much as I can about the pompano
migration. I am not convinced the pomps down in the keys migrate all the way to north FL and the carolinas. Im thinking its more of a local population of fish. Thoughts?
k5523915 wrote:they dont allow surf fishing. and i dont target pomps in the park. but i always use shrimps as bait and accidentally, and consistently catching few pomps here and there, during strong SE winds days. it just goes on to tell you that, if I can catch them in biscayne bay, i am sure the pomp bites are fire in other places where you surf fish

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

yeah I fish from the piers. to answer your question I'd have to @snapperfantic or other seasoned pomp fishermen here at the forum lol

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

dania pier, newport pier, haulover jetty have all seen good runs of pompano this spring. gotta go when the conditions are right. supposed to have east winds 15-20kts thru the rest of the week and into the weekend. I've been out the past couple days, the water is the right color and I've seen people catching them.

Return to “Dade County”